Search

Restaurants in Atlanta, GA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Member, Starwood, Hilton Honors
Restaurants in Atlanta, GA

Hello,

I'm new to this forum, but I wanted to get y'all's opinion on Houston's Restaurant in Buckhead Atlanta on Peachtree St. Every time, I visit Atlanta, I always stop by. The food is delicious. You can watch most of the meals being prepared under open flames. That way, you know the food is hot and fresh.

Also your thoughts on Steak and Ale in Downtown Atlanta (Int'l. Blvd/Peachtree Center). I usually get the Cod fish with salad bar. Delicious.

Any other restaurants in Downtown Atlanta that you recommend that serves fish, steak, seafood, etc?

Marcell
Old Apr 25, 2006, 9:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Houston's is GREAT. I've always loved it. There are others around the area and around teh country.

Steak and Ale has never been my fave. There are several good restaurants around tho. Depends on what you're looking for. Bones has the best steak in town, Taurus is excellent and great ambiance, Murphy's offers great brunch on the wknds (it's in the Highlands).
Old May 5, 2006, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
I've never had a bad meal at the Buckhead Diner. The house-made potato chips with melted Maytag blue cheese on top are great as is the veal meatloaf with shiitake mushrooms.
Old May 14, 2006, 10:24 pm
cl_

If you are looking for some more unique (ie non-chain) type restaurants, there are a few great ones near downtown. Pacific Rim and City Grill come to mind for those with expense accounts. For the sushi crowd, there is MF Sushi Bar, and for the eclectic, Roman Lily (walkable from downtown - about 10 mins, but try to do it in the daylight).

In Midtown, there is Nickimotos (sushi), Flying Biscuit, and for those on expense accounts, a great seafood place whose name escapes me (at 1100 Peachtree).

If you have a car, a bit past Roman Lily is Sotto Sotto (great Italian, but be prepared to wait), Pacific Kitchen (fairly good), Trattoria Il Localino, and further up still is the trusty Atlanta standby for classy and unique neighborhood food, Murphys (at the corner of Highland and Virginia).

This is making me hungry.
Old Jul 4, 2006, 10:04 am

Atlanta Restaurants - The Globe

A bit late, but wanted to also suggest The Globe near GA Tech in Midtown. We live north of Atlanta, and have been several times recently, and taken visitors. Everyone has enjoyed it. You can see their menu at www.globeatlanta.com
We don't usually care for chains, but we do like Houstons a lot. Think they have some of the best burgers around.
Old Jul 5, 2006, 1:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
This story in today's NYT Dining section, about the chef Anna Quatrano and her techniques, mentions three distinct restaurants that she and her husband operate in the Altanta area: Bacchanalia, Floataway Café and Quinones. I think I will try one of them on my next trip to ATL.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/dining/05chef.html
Old Jul 7, 2006, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
I have eaten at that restaurant three times; it is a great restaurant. In fact, I have never had a bad meal at any Houston's. I am not impressed with the Steak and Ale chain, but that's a personal preference.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I've never had a bad meal at the Buckhead Diner. The house-made potato chips with melted Maytag blue cheese on top are great as is the veal meatloaf with shiitake mushrooms.
The OK Cafe is a similarly good diner. It's southern-style 'comfort food' with great desserts, and huge portions.

I haven't been there in ages, but another Southern tradition is Mary Mac's tea room, on Ponce De Leon. It's another Southern Food place, but not diner style.

You can get great things at these places like cheese grit sticks, fried okra, fried green tomatoes, crawfish, corn bread, various vegetable souffles, etc., etc. Of course, Southern comfort food isn't the healthiest, there's lots of butters and oils and whatnot used in the cooking, so be careful if that's an issue for you.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM - IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Rabidstoat
The OK Cafe is a similarly good diner. It's southern-style 'comfort food' with great desserts, and huge portions.

I haven't been there in ages, but another Southern tradition is Mary Mac's tea room, on Ponce De Leon. It's another Southern Food place, but not diner style.

You can get great things at these places like cheese grit sticks, fried okra, fried green tomatoes, crawfish, corn bread, various vegetable souffles, etc., etc. Of course, Southern comfort food isn't the healthiest, there's lots of butters and oils and whatnot used in the cooking, so be careful if that's an issue for you.
Or my personal fav for southern comfort food - The Colonnade on Cheshire Bridge Road. However, be prepared to wait a long time on Sunday afternoons behind all the blue-haired ladies.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
This story in today's NYT Dining section, about the chef Anna Quatrano and her techniques, mentions three distinct restaurants that she and her husband operate in the Altanta area: Bacchanalia, Floataway Café and Quinones. I think I will try one of them on my next trip to ATL.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/05/dining/05chef.html
There was a FT do at the floataway a couple summers ago. Very good food.
Old Sep 8, 2006, 10:59 am
Original Member

If you're staying in the Perimeter area (Crowne Plaza/W/Westin/Embassy Suites...) you can do much better than the chains near Perimeter Mall for eating...go north on Ashford-Dunwoody Road about 1 1/2 miles, make a right onto Mt Vernon, then a quick left onto Chamblee-Dunwoody (intersection with a Dunkin Donuts/BP/car wash/old historic home). On the left about 1/2 mile up are several very good restaurants in the Dunwoody Village and Publix strip centers...High Cotton is quite good (Publix), there's a nice wine bar (D'Vine), a good mexican (Mexico City Gourmet).

Conversely, there's a real gem south of this area...Au Rendez Vous which is on Windsor Parkway (Windsor Pky connects Peachtree Dunwoody with Chamblee Dunwoody). It's a French restaurant owned by a Vietnamese family where for $13.95 (!) you'll have a great 2 course French dinner (coq au vin, boeuf en daube, et cetera, with accompaniments and salad/soup) and delicious desserts (crepes, homemade ice cream). They finally got a wine license (used to have to BYOB), and they don't take credit cards, but it makes a very nice relaxed dinner (and comfortable if you're alone too).

Finally, Buford Highway (!) is the multicultural strip of Atlanta. Every mile it seems to change (Korean/Chinese/Mexican/...) but there are some gems along it. Best Chinese (imho) is Little Szechuan on Buford Hy just north of Shallowford (about 2 miles inside the perimeter, east side of Buford Highway in a strip center). Also a good Malaysian restaurant as well (Penang).
Old Sep 8, 2006, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL
cl_, you may mean the Oceanaire? I have not been (a bit pricey for me!) but I hear the food is excellent. We also definitely enjoy Fogo de Chao for a really nice dinner, Toast for a moderately priced dinner, and Doc Chey's for an inexpensive night.
Old Jan 12, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: HH Gold; Marriott Gold; Hertz #1 5*
Galleria Mall area

Anyone have suggestions for kid friendly dining near the Aquarium (lunch) and Galleria mall area (dinner)?

Thanks!
Old Mar 15, 2009, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Member, Starwood, Hilton Honors
Steak & Ale's Closing

I was in Atlanta the week of February 23rd. I wanted to stop by Steak & Ale (at the intersection of Peachtree Center and International Blvd) for dinner. It looked open and as I was going to the entrance, I noticed it was locked. Come to find out, there was "for lease" sign in front of it.

I have enjoyed coming to this restaurant. The salad bar and entrees were very delicious.

Does anyone know when this place closed down and if there is another restaurant coming in its place?

Marcell
Old Mar 15, 2009, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by Marcell
I was in Atlanta the week of February 23rd. I wanted to stop by Steak & Ale (at the intersection of Peachtree Center and International Blvd) for dinner. It looked open and as I was going to the entrance, I noticed it was locked. Come to find out, there was "for lease" sign in front of it.

I have enjoyed coming to this restaurant. The salad bar and entrees were very delicious.

Does anyone know when this place closed down and if there is another restaurant coming in its place?

Marcell
I seem to recall a post in Diningbuzz that celebrated the closure of the chain. You might try a search there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.