Old Jul 19, 2004, 9:18 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
10 Things to Do in Atlanta Before You Die

(according to Citysearch)

1.Ebenezer Baptist Church Heritage Sanctuary & Horizon Sanctuary
407 Auburn Ave NW, Atlanta, GA
Listen to Martin Luther King Jr.'s "I Have A Dream" speech from the pews of his home church, part of the national historic site.

2.Peachtree Road Race
at Peachtree Road/Street
Join 55,000 participants for a July Fourth jaunt down Peachtree--and a chance to nab the coveted T-shirt.

3.The Varsity
61 North Ave NW, Atlanta, GA
Whether you think it's a grease pit or glorious, there's nothing else like this Atlanta treasure. Head to the world's largest drive-in for a frosted orange, onion rings and a chili dog.

4.Stone Mountain Park
Hwy 78 E, Exit 8, Stone Mountain, GA
Skip the tram and hike up the world's largest hunk of exposed granite. Start just before sunset and you'll be rewarded with a stunning view of Atlanta.

5.Your Dekalb Farmers Market
3000 E Ponce de Leon Ave, Decatur, GA
Go on an international shopping spree at Decatur's massive food emporium. The size of two football fields, it sells everything from pig trotters to turmeric root.

6.Fabulous Fox Theatre
660 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA
This opulent Atlanta landmark--built in the 1920s as a Yaarab Temple Shrine Mosque--hosts all sorts of shows, but for a true behind-the-scenes experience take the guided tour.

7.Clermont Lounge
789 Ponce De Leon Ave NE, Atlanta, GA
It's been said that every Atlantan must visit Ponce de Leon Avenue's most infamous watering hole at least once. For such a loud bar, this place will leave you speechless.

8.Turner Field
755 Hank Aaron Dr SE, Atlanta, GA
Attend a Braves game on a clear summer night and you've found the perfect Atlanta outing--there's even a Coke bottle that spews fireworks.

9.Watershed
406 W Ponce De Leon Ave, Decatur, GA
Make a Tuesday-night pilgrimage to this quirky Decatur restaurant for Scott Peacock's famous fried chicken. And try to save room for the equally renowned chocolate cake.

10.Centennial Olympic Park
Techwood Dr and International Blvd, Atlanta, GA
This swath of green is a welcome respite from Atlanta's concrete downtown, but the "dancing" fountains are the real treat. Wear your bathing suit or jump in fully clothed.

“Bonus Items

Margaret Mitchell House & Museum
990 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA
Fascinating tidbits about Mitchell and "Gone with the Wind" come to life in the more-than-100-year-old house.

CNN Studio Tour
1 Cnn Ctr NW, Atlanta, GA
Go behind the scenes at the headquarters of one of the most watched news channels.

Fuzzy's Place
2015 N Druid Hills Rd NE, Atlanta, GA
A neighborhood dive bar with a five-star musical menu.

City Grill
50 Hurt Plz SE, Atlanta, GA
Fine dining, Southern style, draws crowds to a landmark downtown building.

Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
Old 41 Hwy NW, Kennesaw, GA
This national park offers the city's best variety of hikes and on a clear day, spectacular views.

(according to Citysearch)
Old Aug 3, 2004, 7:59 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park
Old 41 Hwy NW, Kennesaw, GA
This national park offers the city's best variety of hikes and on a clear day, spectacular views.
My home is literally within 10 minutes of this park. It is probably the best-kept secret in all of Atlanta, especially during the week.

One can drive up the mountain and get a nice panoramic view of Atlanta, Marietta and surrounding towns, as well as the foothills of the Appalachian Mountain chain. On a clear day, one can even see Stone Mountain.

One can also hike more than 12 miles of trails, part of which is up the mountain. There is also a civil war museum and store at the base of the mountain, which also shows a short film about the battle at Kennesaw Mountain.

One can spend as little as one hour or as much as the entire day at Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park.

Visit here especially during the week in the spring or fall.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 12:16 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
5.Your Dekalb Farmers Market
3000 E Ponce de Leon Ave, Decatur, GA
Go on an international shopping spree at Decatur's massive food emporium. The size of two football fields, it sells everything from pig trotters to turmeric root.
This was a good market for sure, LOTS of variety.
Old Oct 1, 2005, 2:34 pm

Programs: NWA/DL
Well, I would have to agree with the Fox Theatre. Just saw Phantom there two weeks ago. What a magical interior there! We had 7th row center orchestra seats and it was wonderful! It's also extremely close to a MARTA station if you don't feel like driving in downtown Atlanta.

Another modern favorite (if you are a Coke Drinker) is the World of Coke, especially if you are in the world flavor test room. A soda drinkers paradise, and some interesting exhibits.
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:28 am

3.The Varsity
I agree with this one... a rite of passge for the ATLers.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
This was a good market for sure, LOTS of variety.
I don't know if they still do this (I go to Harry's in Marietta now), but they used to serve up HUGE plates of stir-fry with rice. IIRC, it was only about $4-$5 for more than I could eat, and that was in the early 90s, right after I got out of the Army.

Definitely some good local color and some good local cheap eats. ^

Originally Posted by kapitman
Well, I would have to agree with the Fox Theatre. Just saw Phantom there two weeks ago. What a magical interior there! We had 7th row center orchestra seats and it was wonderful! It's also extremely close to a MARTA station if you don't feel like driving in downtown Atlanta.
Also right across the street from the flagship Indigo Hotel, if you happen to be a Priority Club member.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Just Passing Thru
I go to Harry's in Marietta now
Since they were acquired by Whole Foods Market some time ago, Harry’s Farmers Market is not nearly as good as they used to be years ago — at least, according to my personal experience.

Although they have increased their wine selection and their grocery selection has become more diverse with international products, they have reduced the selection of fresh produce, and some items that I used to purchase are no longer available.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No status no more, no where, no how.
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Since they were acquired by Whole Foods Market some time ago, Harry’s Farmers Market is not nearly as good as they used to be years ago — at least, according to my personal experience.

Although they have increased their wine selection and their grocery selection has become more diverse with international products, they have reduced the selection of fresh produce, and some items that I used to purchase are no longer available.
I completely agree. Harry's is simply a much shorter drive for me. However, there are numerous ethnic grocery stores in the area; Dong Bang Asian Grocery (I am not making that up) is only a couple of miles away down US 41; there are plenty of Hispanic tiendas along Roswell Road, heading toward the Marietta square, and just last weekend, we spotted a new African grocery on our way to Harry's.

I do agree with you about the produce, though. But I like being able to buy pricey mushrooms in bulk. If I only need 1/4# of Hen of the Woods 'shrooms, I can get 'em @ Harry's.
Old Oct 21, 2005, 4:07 pm

Programs: CO PLT, HH DIA
Bonus item:

Find ten things that aren't named "Peachtree".
Old Oct 21, 2005, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by Just Passing Thru
Dong Bang Asian Grocery (I am not making that up) is only a couple of miles away down US 41
That is the funniest name I have seen in Cobb County since first reading the sign commemorating the Dick Hunter Memorial Bridge (and no, I am not making that name up either), which is the name of the railroad overpass that crosses South Marietta Parkway between Atlanta Street and Powder Springs Road.

At least they finally changed the name of the bridge to the Richard Hunter Memorial Bridge...
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
That is the funniest name I have seen in Cobb County since first reading the sign commemorating the Dick Hunter Memorial Bridge (and no, I am not making that name up either), which is the name of the railroad overpass that crosses South Marietta Parkway between Atlanta Street and Powder Springs Road....
Is that North or South of the Big Chicken? For those who don't know, the "Big Chicken" is used as a directional point of reference for Cobb County/Cobb Parkway. It's a HUGE sign shaped like a chicken - I think it's for a KFC? Not sure as I don't wander OTP in Atlanta too much.

A couple of adds to the list:

The Carter Center - Jimmy Carter's presidental library is situated in the city with beautiful gardens and a stunning view of the city. The exhibit is interesting, but allow yourself time to stroll the gardens and take in the views.

Westin Peachtree Plaza - cheesy touristy thing, but everyone I've ever taken there loves it. This hotel is shaped like a tall cylinder, and you can take a glass-walled elevator that runs along the outside of the building to the top floors (I think it's 72 stories), where there is a rotating bar and restaurant. Great views, and signs indicate significant landmarks/areas of the city as you slowly rotate.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by ATLpax
Is that North or South of the Big Chicken? For those who don't know, the "Big Chicken" is used as a directional point of reference for Cobb County/Cobb Parkway. It's a HUGE sign shaped like a chicken - I think it's for a KFC? Not sure as I don't wander OTP in Atlanta too much.
It is a couple of miles west of the Big Chicken, which is indeed a Kentucky Fried Chicken, as it is spelled out in full in the original logotype on the Big Chicken itself.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:25 pm

Location: MSP (and will only fly NWA in re-routes if I HAVE to)
Programs: AA EXP (4.5MM), hotel programs as needed
Pano's and Paul's in Buckhead for their Fried Lobster Tail.

They also used to own/operate several other resturants in the Atlanta area and were all wonderful .. but this is the only one I know had the Lobster!

http://www.atlantarestaurants.com/minipage/panos.htm

While on the OPPOSITE end of 'chic' I personally (OK I am a Northerner) like The Old Hickory House (there are several) .. its decent BBQ and their Brunswick Stew is something I always enjoy!

OK call me a tourist .. but I like interesting good... Apparently in Google searching for another couple of places .. they no longer exist (Aunt Fannys Cabin and Pitty Patch's Porch) .. sadly.
Old Dec 25, 2005, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by JGR01
Pano's and Paul's in Buckhead for their Fried Lobster Tail.
I realize this is the South forum of the United States, but if fried lobster is what you crave, I would venture to:

Lobster Claw Seafoods of North Reading
7A Main Street (Massachusetts State Highway 28)
North Reading, Massachussetts
(978) 664-6349

A few years ago, a plate of fried lobster with no shells with which to deal, French fries, onion rings and a soft drink cost approximately US$16.00.

It was deliciously well worth the price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.