Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Favorite BBQ - anywhere in the South

Favorite BBQ - anywhere in the South

Old Jul 6, 2015, 4:42 pm

Programs: United 1K, AC 50K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Platinum
As a Canadian who lived in High Point NC for three years, i found an abundance of good bbqs in the area, but the best were in Lexington NC.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by BamaVol
The slaw doesn't look like my type, was it vinegary? Where is the sauce for your gf's chopped (I would prefer it pulled).
I think the sauce for the meat is the same as what they mix with the cabbage to make the slaw. Mostly vinegar with a bit of ketchup.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:41 pm
Pam

Absolutely Neely's in Memphis. The best.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I was at the Blues & Barbeque Fest in New Orleans 2 weeks ago. While there, I picked up a brochure on the Alabama BBQ Trail. BamaVol Jr #1 lives in Huntsville and was visiting this weekend. I gave him the brochure and they stopped at Webb's 231 in Midland City on the way home. I asked his wife how they liked it and she said the place was a "total sh*t hole" but the barbecue was some of the best she'd ever eaten. I wish I could get up there and run the trail. It looks like there were 15-20 restaurants on the list and I've only eaten at one of them.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 8:49 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Tried Speedy's BBQ in Lexington, NC last weekend. It was pretty good for Carolina BBQ and has the fun atmosphere of a hole in the wall where the clientele are all locals speaking in thick accents

Old Oct 31, 2015, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
Tried Speedy's BBQ in Lexington, NC last weekend. It was pretty good for Carolina BBQ and has the fun atmosphere of a hole in the wall where the clientele are all locals speaking in thick accents
Speedy's! It's certainly my favorite place in Lexington (well, aside from the general store that sells pimento cheese )
Old Dec 10, 2015, 6:09 pm

Best BBQ IMHO

Duke's BBQ in Walterboro, South Carolina. There are other Dukes BBQs in the region, but I this one the most!
Old Jan 9, 2016, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
I was at the Blues & Barbeque Fest in New Orleans 2 weeks ago. While there, I picked up a brochure on the Alabama BBQ Trail. BamaVol Jr #1 lives in Huntsville and was visiting this weekend. I gave him the brochure and they stopped at Webb's 231 in Midland City on the way home. I asked his wife how they liked it and she said the place was a "total sh*t hole" but the barbecue was some of the best she'd ever eaten. I wish I could get up there and run the trail. It looks like there were 15-20 restaurants on the list and I've only eaten at one of them.
I think "total sh*t hole" is a bit strong . . . a hole in the wall, yes. The BBQ is really quite good. Of course, if one is in Dothan, they are not THAT far from Eufaula (Phil's BBQ) and Phenix City (13th Street BBQ). Both excellent ++.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:07 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
The Pecan Lodge - Dallas, TX

Great space in this trendy up and coming neighborhood just off downtown which has outdoor and indoor seating. They also have numerous beers on tap. Perfect menu and everything we ordered was delicious. Great ribs, brisket and pulled pork plus, burnt ends! The mac & cheese was also outstanding.

1readyset2go likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 11:11 pm

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by hackensacknj
I think "total sh*t hole" is a bit strong . . . a hole in the wall, yes. The BBQ is really quite good. Of course, if one is in Dothan, they are not THAT far from Eufaula (Phil's BBQ) and Phenix City (13th Street BBQ). Both excellent ++.
Dobb's BBQ in Dothan is always packed out as we pass on our way to the gulf coast. Growing up in Phenix City, I can tell you that little area has 4-5 long standing good bbq joints.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by Pam
Absolutely Neely's in Memphis. The best.
To each there own but I have been to Neely's a number of times in the last few years and I have never thought of it as being anything but average especially considering all the great options in the Memphis area. From what I understand it used to be a lot better but in the last few years has really gone down hill. I also was not really impressed with Rendezous either, but I would go there over Neely's.

In Memphis my favorite ribs are at the BBQ shop. Wow! Its a party in your mouth!

Having said that... I have yet to try Cozy Corner in Memphis and the anticipation is great! It is next on my list to try since several people recommend them, and one of which, owns his own highly acclaimed BBQ place here in Nashville and the other was the guy who gave me the BBQ shop recommendation.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
The Pecan Lodge - Dallas, TX

Great space in this trendy up and coming neighborhood just off downtown which has outdoor and indoor seating. They also have numerous beers on tap. Perfect menu and everything we ordered was delicious. Great ribs, brisket and pulled pork plus, burnt ends! The mac & cheese was also outstanding.

That looks great, and now thanks to you, I look forward to trying this place as I will be in that part of Dallas in a few weeks!

One more I would like to add is Double Z BBQ in Steamboat, Co with the caveat that it was like 20 years ago but I can still remember how great they were! Hopefully they are still putting out a great product.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
More discussion of Pecan Lodge over in the Texas forum.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas...est-world.html
Old Feb 7, 2016, 12:58 am

Originally Posted by swag
More discussion of Pecan Lodge over in the Texas forum.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/texas...est-world.html
Thanks I will take a look
Old Feb 22, 2016, 12:21 am

I traveled to Dallas and went to The Pecan Lodge the last two days in a row.

Holy Cow Batman that is some amazing Q! Seriously, I want to thank you for the recommendation it was the best BBQ I have ever had. Truly amazing. On Sunday they offered their "fried ribs" (with blue cheese crumples and chives on top) which was good, but I still preferred their regular ribs which were, out- of- this- world good. The same could be said for the brisket and burnt ends. I liked it so much I carried back on the plane a couple pounds of the stuff.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.