Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Favorite BBQ - anywhere in the South

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:20 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
any advice for nyc? i have a trip coming up there soon and people (mostly in ny) are raving about how good the bbq is. is there any merit to this? and while i'm no expert of bbq, i realize what mediocre bbq tastes like.

or should i just skip the notion of bbq in ny and just stick to pizza, bagels, and sammiches?

i love tx bbq, particularly, in Houston:
*Ray's (best in souf texas imo, better than Gatlin's, even...plus it's really close to my iah base)
*Luling City Market (really bad rep but their brisket and ribs are ^)
*Hungry Farmer (comfort food: chili cheese fries, loaded potatoes, ribs and sausage... brisket is very mediocre but nice on the 'tater)
*the Brisket House

also in bkk, i found this gem next to the le meridien:
https://www.facebook.com/smokinpug/
not Texas good, but they import beef from NZ, use real hickory (they sell it at hardware stores in BK!), and they actually smoke on site. i enjoyed my brisket sammich, although the fresh potato chips on the side was silly (slaw? fries?)
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:46 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cur
any advice for nyc? i have a trip coming up there soon and people (mostly in ny) are raving about how good the bbq is. is there any merit to this? and while i'm no expert of bbq, i realize what mediocre bbq tastes like.
Dinosaur BBQ on 125th and 11th is my favorite, they have a great beer selection too.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:48 am
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by CMK10
Dinosaur BBQ on 125th and 11th is my favorite, they have a great beer selection too.
sounds a lot like harlem!!! i'll be there.
ot but:
my favorite soul food buffet in all of murica
http://www.jacobrestaurant.com/
Old May 4, 2016, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Went by Picnic in Durham today. It's a gorgeous space in a residential neighborhood. They have a number of beers on tap as well as custom cocktails. Menu is pretty limited: pulled pork and fried chicken mainly plus catfish and burgers but they do have a lot of desserts. Definitely worth a visit

Name:  IMG_2616-L.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  111.8 KB
Old Jun 11, 2016, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, Marriot, Hilton, United, Hyatt, Omni, and more
If in Natchitoches Louisiana, go to Grayson's

Grayson's is 6 miles from Natchitoches in Clarence Louisiana. It is a short scenic drive and there are not many good places to eat
in Natchitoches. Grayson's is very special. Everything is great except the potato salad. The pecan pie is the best there is. It closes very early, like 7 pm, so check before you go.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
I love Stamey's in Greensboro and High Point, NC
Old Jul 10, 2016, 3:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
Angel's BBQ in Savannah
Old Jul 10, 2016, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Bono's in Jacksonville
Old Jul 20, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Been 10 years since the last mention of Wilbur's on US-70 in Goldsboro, NC on this thread, but stopped in last night and the food was still excellent. A few too many "Make America Great Again" baseball caps in the dining room for my taste, but the amazing pulled pork definitely made the trip out of my liberal comfort zone worthwhile.

Another standout discovered on this road trip through the Carolinas is True BBQ in West Columbia, SC. They have a massive smoker in their front parking lot and the smoky flavor penetrates deep into their meat!
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I believe that I just read today that the Chicago location is slated to close soon, if not already.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA, LAN, HH, IHG
Yellow Dog Eats. Locations in Gotha (just north of Orlando), and New Smyrna Beach. Tried both; delicious!! Best I've had in Florida.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:08 am

A new entry. Fuller's Old Time BBQ in Lumberton, NC. Lumberton is a small town on I-95 just north of the NC/SC border. Fuller's is just off the the interstate and has an absolutely amazing BBQ buffet for $9. They had fried chicken, BBQ chicken, two kinds of sausage, brisket, ribs and more sides than you can shake a stick at plus a number of desserts. All of it was amazing quality too. Just note that if there's a line when you get there, wait in it. It's worth it.

Old Aug 4, 2016, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
A new entry. Fuller's Old Time BBQ in Lumberton, NC. Lumberton is a small town on I-95 just north of the NC/SC border. Fuller's is just off the the interstate and has an absolutely amazing BBQ buffet for $9. They had fried chicken, BBQ chicken, two kinds of sausage, brisket, ribs and more sides than you can shake a stick at plus a number of desserts. All of it was amazing quality too. Just note that if there's a line when you get there, wait in it. It's worth it.
At last a reason to stop the car when driving through Lumberton!

I had an interview there probably 15 years ago. I don't remember the company but I remember thinking I couldn't live there.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by BamaVol
At last a reason to stop the car when driving through Lumberton!

I had an interview there probably 15 years ago. I don't remember the company but I remember thinking I couldn't live there.
Oh it's by all accounts an awful town (though Marriott just put in a new SHS so there's that at least) but this was top notch Que. I'll be stopping on future trips for sure.
Old Sep 16, 2016, 1:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM
Just had Burn Co's ribs in Tulsa, OK, which were the best I've ever had. Another person in our party who was also a first-timer declared the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.