Search

Marco Island/SW FL Activities

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2005, 2:17 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by blackjack-21
Did you get any snook, redfish or pampano?
In the mangroves we only caught snook, redfish and mangrove snappers. LOTS of fun!!!

Staying in Naples this spring at http://www.naplesbeachhotel.com
My brother wants to go deep-sea fishing, is there such a thing in the Gulf of Mexico or does one have to be on the Atlantic side of Florida?
Old Oct 22, 2005, 11:47 pm

Programs: AC, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Hi SW,

I'm sure they have charters from Naples and area for deep-sea fishing in the Gulf, although I've never tried it from the west coast of Florida, so I can't comment on the species they're after. Sailfishing on the east coast (from Stuart area and south) is excellent, along with dolphin (not the mammal, they're otherwise known as "Dorado", great fighters and good eating), and many other deep-sea species abound, but I'm not sure how far they come into the Gulf, if at all.

If not on the large (and expensive) charters, you might try a "party boat" from the area, for some bottom fishing a few miles out in the Gulf, for grouper, snapper, mackeral and king mackeral, if they're running, or wahoo and possibly 'cuda. Lots of fun, but just not as exclusive, as you may have as many as 30 or 40 others on the boat with you. But still fun, as the crew usually knows where to head for some good fishing. You can bring your own tackle, or they will supply it on board, and bait is also available, but if you're a purist, lures work well too down there. Usually "bucktails" (weighted hooks with either nylon or deer hair skirts) work well in either red/white combinations or yellow heads.

But you don't have to go offshore to find great fishing, as you've already seen in your past trips. The only thing missed, so far, is the fabulous Tarpon fishing. Unbelievable fighters, difficult to hook (hard, boney mouths, and fussy eaters, besides they spook easily), but if you get one on your line, on light tackle, you're really in for some fun.

Good luck and have fun.

(This thread is now over four years old!!).

bj-21.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:31 am

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Hi All,

Any updates on eating establishments and pubs etc in Marco? We are booked into the Hilton and would like a nice local to relax at in the evening so we don't have to drive. Also looking for good seafood, especially crab, and some good steaks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.