NY Times: Atlanta Airport To Get 5th Runway

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2001, 9:40 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

NY Times: Atlanta Airport To Get 5th Runway

Atlanta Airport To Get 5th Runway

ATLANTA (AP) -- Hartsfield Atlanta International, one of the world's busiest airports, won approval for a fifth runway, and officials say the project will proceed despite the slump in air travel.

The 9,000-foot runway will cost about $1.1 billion and is expected to be finished in 2005.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/nati...rt-Runway.html
Old Sep 28, 2001, 10:37 am

I certainly hope that ORD will step up to the plate and add/realign their runways before they fall even further behind.
Old Sep 28, 2001, 12:06 pm

..I am glad to hear this, especially since a lot of the area where this runway will be has ALREADY been completely wiped out, including Biznesses, homes, etc! In addition, reconstruction of the Int'l Trade Center, etc., has already started, in a new area! (the old one, with adjacent hotels, etc., only a few years old, will be torn down!)

Pretty much, all the NIMBY's are already gone!
Our ATL airport, in spite of it's corruption and mismanagement (it is run by the City of Atlanta, probably the most corrupt City Government since Chicago of the 1930's) managed to pull this off! (don't even talk about the contracts that were given!)
Old May 27, 2016, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Hartsfield-Jackson’s (ATL) fifth runway hits 10th birthday

Time flies:
Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport’s fifth runway, dubbed the “Most Important Runway in America” when it opened, turns 10 years old on May 27.

The 9,000-foot runway cost $1.28 billion to build, and was seen as critical to relieve air traffic congestion along the East Coast. It was built with two bridges crossing I-285 that can can support up to 1.3 million pounds.

“This runway is going to cut delays, save the airlines money and improve customer service,” said then-general manager of Hartsfield-Jackson Ben DeCosta in 2006.

Called Runway 10-28, it averages more than 100,000 landings and takeoffs a year, according to Hartsfield-Jackson.

Officials at the world’s busiest airport say the runway saves the airline industry $260 million annually in delay costs.
Link to the full article: AJC.com: Hartsfield-Jackson’s fifth runway hits 10th birthday (May 27, 2016)
Old May 27, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It was built with two bridges crossing I-285 that can can support up to 1.3 million pounds.
A380F MTOW - 1,305,000 lb

D'oh.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 11:06 pm

IT is so busy here it is about time they did this! Do you think it will speed up travel that much?
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It opened in 2006, and just had it's 10th anniversary, so I don't think much will change in the near future.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by CPRich
It opened in 2006, and just had it's 10th anniversary, so I don't think much will change in the near future.
Yes! We landed at fifth new runways twice. I thought it was wrong airports and the seat mate said its Atlanta, but I was so confused. I could not understand.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Olivia1
IT is so busy here it is about time they did this! Do you think it will speed up travel that much?
Yes, in time for the 20th anniversary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.