Good cross country movers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Good cross country movers?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2017, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Lightbulb Good cross country movers?

Hello all,

Moving from LA to Miami and need a good cross country mover. As I am unsure of exact move in date, figure it's better to find one who is Miami based (as they can keep in storage until exact date is identified).

Anyone have any recommendations?
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I recommend Dumbo Moving + Storage

You should 1000% avoid Assurance Van Lines (Brokers) and Sky Van Lines. I just moved from San Diego to Charlotte and used AVL and it was awful.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Madone59
I recommend Dumbo Moving + Storage

You should 1000% avoid Assurance Van Lines (Brokers) and Sky Van Lines. I just moved from San Diego to Charlotte and used AVL and it was awful.
Thanks. Dumbo is NYC based. I need someone in FL (similar to Dumbo who has storage there).
Old Aug 27, 2017, 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Thanks. Dumbo is NYC based. I need someone in FL (similar to Dumbo who has storage there).
I have no advice for FL other than DON'T use a broker, find a mover who owns the truck and writes you the contract. Know who is showing up, and where your stuff is going.
BearX220 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:30 pm

All I can say is don't use Atlantic Relocation. But they are in Atlanta. No one should use them... ever.

Keep on top of them. Communicate a lot. I've moved 19 or so times now and the easiest one (long distance) was actually the one I just did with Old Dominion Household Services. I had it loaded and unloaded at each end and it moved so fast. Take a look at ABF. They definitely can store and they are the same type of service.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
The problem with OP's request is, the principal mover brands are basically agglomerations of independent franchisees, truckers, and labor teams. So a good experience in one case does not foretell your fate in another case.

I used United Van Lines last year for a 2000-mile cross country move and it went fine. I guess I got lucky. But I can't tell OP his or her experience starting in LA will bear any relation to mine, which started in Seattle. The bad experience noted upthread with AVL may or may not be predictive. It's all about the individual, specific people involved.

Because you have date uncertainty / SIT (storage in transit) needs, however, you need a provider with access to a national network of warehouses. Mayflower, Allied, United, Bekins, etc. can all store your stuff in your departure or arrival city for as long as you need.

Just go out and get three estimates, plus customer references, and be sure you read the insurance and weight-limit stuff extra carefully.
Old Aug 31, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BearX220
The problem with OP's request is, the principal mover brands are basically agglomerations of independent franchisees, truckers, and labor teams. So a good experience in one case does not foretell your fate in another case.

I used United Van Lines last year for a 2000-mile cross country move and it went fine. I guess I got lucky. But I can't tell OP his or her experience starting in LA will bear any relation to mine, which started in Seattle. The bad experience noted upthread with AVL may or may not be predictive. It's all about the individual, specific people involved.

Because you have date uncertainty / SIT (storage in transit) needs, however, you need a provider with access to a national network of warehouses. Mayflower, Allied, United, Bekins, etc. can all store your stuff in your departure or arrival city for as long as you need.

Just go out and get three estimates, plus customer references, and be sure you read the insurance and weight-limit stuff extra carefully.
Yea, this has been my experience too. Basically all the national guys just farm it out to local movers... and you don't know who you will get.

That's why I'm wondering specifically about local Miami movers who also have storage. Perhaps they handle long distance too and I can hire them directly? When I moved to the West Coast years ago I found a mover who did it like this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:29 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
For California based, we used Gold Medal M&S out of Santa Ana for a move to West Palm Beach. They're affiliated with Stevens Van Lines. They were very good. They broke one thing (a mirror) and paid up with no hassle. My wife had to arrange the move and they didn't jerk her around at all. Highly recommend.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 5:30 pm

Programs: Airlines: DL-Silver, UA-Silver Hotels: MR-LT PP
Don't know if this is too late to mater but we used Graebel for our OR to NC move and were extremely pleased with the level of service we received. They might be a more expensive than others but well worth it IMHO.
Old Nov 2, 2017, 7:02 pm

Sky Van Lines (in LA) did a good job, our current dispute is not over broken items. Regarding storage is sound delivery of all items they were an A+
Old Nov 2, 2017, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

I ended up using Mayflower. Crew in LA sucked. Crew in Miami was excellent. Overall Mayflower CS was average. Price wasn't the cheapest but also wasn't the most expensive.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:01 am
Suspended

Packing and moving is the most tiring and stressful job if not planned and executed well.
trooper likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Raheel Naylor
Packing and moving is the most tiring and stressful job if not planned and executed well.
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

As an FYI, the original post is from 2017 and was looking for specific recommendations for cross country movers. The OP(original poster) has long ago made his move, so you’re about 11/2 years too late.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by BearX220

After a dozen cross country moves over 44 years, I saw no pattern. Your packers and loaders will be local. Get local recommendations. Your driver and unloaders are a total crapshoot. It seems to have nothing to do with the brand name on the side of the truck. Get local recommendations at your destination for storage. That’s about all you can control on that end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.