Search
Old Jul 7, 2017, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Before

Current proposal is Jackalope Brewing around 4pm on Sunday 8/20:

https://goo.gl/maps/a62jNmw62m32

http://jackalopebrew.com/visiting-the-brewery/

They're co-located with a coffee shop and have non-alcoholic options, there may be food trucks, and there are what seem like good dining options nearby.

During

(feel free to add)

After

(feel free to add)
Print Wikipost

BNA eclipse get-together

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 2:56 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by conklaven
i got free tickets to one of the parks events. Do they not have clear views?
It's cloud cover that will be the question. The general Nashville area is predicted by the national renewable energy lab to have 50-60% cloud cover on Aug. 21. Below is a link to far more detail than you likely want, but it's a report they just released on predicted skies for that day across the nation. It has a map in it that gives you a good look. I intend to be watching weather forecasts closely a couple days out before I start really knowing where I'll go. I'm figuring it's pretty likely that I'll be able to find clear skies somewhere on the center totality line within an hour or two of Nashville. Nashville isn't on the center, Gallatin and other places are. So as for traffic, presumably people will be heading out of Nashville toward the center line. I am staying outside of Nashville proper so hope to avoid it that day.

http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy17osti/68885.pdf

Last edited by l etoile; Aug 1, 2017 at 3:03 am
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by sweetsleep

The weekend prior to the eclipse is move in weekend for 3-5 local universities(Belmont,Lipscomb,Vanderbilt,Fisk,MTSU ) so more than likely many parents will stay over to view the eclipse so this is another reason hotel rooms are so heavily booked.
If I'm not mistaken, there's a preseason NFL game on Saturday as well (Panthers at Titans). I'm glad I got the hotel room a month ago. Everything appears to be sold out at this time.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 12:01 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by conklaven
I used to live in Hendersonville and will be watching the eclipse in gallitan.
I grew up in Hendersonville and still have parents/brothers/sister living in the area. My son and I will be driving in on Sunday and staying with my parents (a bit cheaper than trying to find a hotel. )

I'd love to drop by the get-together on Sunday, but not sure I will be getting in town in time to do so. If things change and I can make it, I will post. But for anyone in the Hendersonville area, I'll probably be having lunch on Monday (21st) at THE best BBQ restaurant anywhere, Centerpoint BBQ.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 1:43 pm

This was posted in the United forum. It has interesting historical cloud information for Tennessee in August.

http://eclipsophile.com/kentucky-and-tennessee/
Old Aug 2, 2017, 10:17 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by l'etoile
This was posted in the United forum. It has interesting historical cloud information for Tennessee in August.

http://eclipsophile.com/kentucky-and-tennessee/
Thanks for that! Right now I'm just leaving Monday totally open. I don't mind driving a few hours if it's worth it to see the eclipse in a better spot. That site just put Athens on my radar, 3 hour drive from where we're staying - a bit longer than I'd like but maybe I can combine it with some hiking or neat spots along the way in the morning.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:38 pm
formerly ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy

Programs: Delta Diamond
If you don't have a room yet, you are screwed.

Old Aug 2, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by ThePinkUnicornShirtGuy
If you don't have a room yet, you are screwed.

I got the same screen for Franklin. Fortunately we booked ours over a month ago. We arrive late Friday night. If we get walked, do we get walked all the way to Memphis?

I looked at a website, sorry don't recall what it was, for house rentals and Jeez Louise! You're gonna pay a lot for a rental house or room at a B&B (if you can find one) eclipse weekend. $800-$3,000 a night!
Old Aug 3, 2017, 7:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
Bus transport in Nashville is just okay. What I meant by mass transit was rail or subway system. Never gonna happen here.

I wish I could be more settled in my new house by eclipse weekend but with painters coming and going(not sure they will be finished so I can finish unpacking) and still half in boxes I can't even think about renting out bedrooms and bathrooms in my house right now but they would be very nice, private and comfortable and worth every penny.

Probably going to the Grand Ole Opry plaza party with friends from work. We are finalizing our plans tomorrow.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold Elite
I know that Jackalope was mentioned but you may want to check out the Yazoo brewery as an option? It may be a better choice?
Not really a beer drinker but lots of locals l know like it.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:10 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I know that Jackalope was mentioned but you may want to check out the Yazoo brewery as an option? It may be a better choice?
From their website it appears they are only open Wednesday through Saturday
Old Aug 6, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
Hi all. I tentatively planning on traveling to Nashville to view the total eclipse. I booked the Holiday Inn Express in downtown Nashville on points, and have a flexible airfare. It all comes down to the weather. I'm definitely up for meeting up with other people.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA

FWIW Yazoo is a superior brewery to Jackalope aka "Joke a lope". My brother is a Brew master and if you drink beer from either of the 2 brewhouses in Williamson county (where Franklin is) he was the first brew master at both. He designed their brewing systems as well. He is no in Ft Worth at Wild Acre now so he has no dog in the hunt, but I know He never liked Jackolope. I would want visitors to have a good experience so I will try to steer you away from Jackalope. Most of the other Brewery's in town are pretty good. As a Nashville native I will tell you that both places are very close to good eating. Arnold's County Kitchen is the pinnacle of a southern meat n 3 and "Peg leg Porker" is really good BBQ. The owner was on "chopped". Biscuit love in the Gulch is also very good. The first 2 are only a block or 2 from those Brewery's. Biscuit love is maybe a mile away.

If you like Whiskey The is the award winning Corsair Distillery as well. They have won some big time awards. I am a big fan of their Triple Smoke. They give tours, but you need to email to reserve ahead for that. You can still walk in and try their products without the tour though.

http://www.corsairdistillery.com/home

Last edited by 1readyset2go; Aug 8, 2017 at 11:14 pm
Old Aug 8, 2017, 8:17 am

I appreciate the suggestions, however, we're getting together on a Sunday. Yazoo looks to be closed Sundays while the one we're meeting at is open.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: US Gold
So...hoping to get to this on Sunday. How will we all recognize each other?

wg
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:32 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by wendyg
So...hoping to get to this on Sunday. How will we all recognize each other?

wg
In the handful of FT gatherings I've been to, it usually just works itself out

But I can try to bring this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28678136-post209.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.