Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Miami - Mondrian South Beach vs Trump Doral for 2 nights?

Old Mar 1, 2017, 6:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold

I hope someone can help me decide what to do. I'm arriving in Miami for 2 nights before flying on to the Dominican Republic for 7 nights and then returning to Miami for a further 3 nights (and then flying home to London).

I had a great AirBNB apartment booked in Brickell for my first 2 nights in Miami (Thurs 22nd - Sat 24th March) but the owner has randomly cancelled on me (with no explanation or apology) despite my booking being made many months ago.

Of course now all the decent AirBNBs and hotels are fully booked or crazy through-the-roof prices. Being English, I didn't realise that my dates seem to coincide with Spring Break as well? (argh!)

The best options (within my budget of max $300ish/night - before taxes and resort fees) I've been able to find are either:

1) Mondrian South Beach - 1 bed suite with bay view
2) Trump Doral - Deluxe/Premier room

Initially the Mondrian seemed like the obvious choice, partly because of the balcony with beautiful Bay views! But I'm not looking for noisy, crazy parties and I'm worried with it being Spring Break/busy that the Mondrian could be party hell on earth?! I'm a single female travelling alone and just want somewhere to chill with a glass of wine, enjoy the views and maybe explore a little. (Note that when I return to Miami for 3 nights I have an AirBNB booked in South Beach so I don't "need" to be in South Beach when I first arrive as I'll be back - hence the original plan to split my stays between Brickell and South Beach).

Hence why I've started considering Trump Doral. I'm not a golfer but it will be quiet (I think!) and green and I can just relax rather than being kept awake by people partying. I must admit that there is also a perverse part of me that is quite curious to experience a Trump hotel given Trump's current "position". And of course it's very convenient for the airport

Can any of you help me from your own experience please? Will the Mondrian be obnoxious party hell? Will Trump Doral be gold-plated over-priced golf boredom? Really appreciate your thoughts please! I know it's only 2 nights but it's a lot of money to pay to make a horrible mistake.

Many thanks in advance!!
Old Mar 2, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by bibbju
I hope someone can help me decide what to do. I'm arriving in Miami for 2 nights before flying on to the Dominican Republic for 7 nights and then returning to Miami for a further 3 nights (and then flying home to London).

I had a great AirBNB apartment booked in Brickell for my first 2 nights in Miami (Thurs 22nd - Sat 24th March) but the owner has randomly cancelled on me (with no explanation or apology) despite my booking being made many months ago.

Of course now all the decent AirBNBs and hotels are fully booked or crazy through-the-roof prices. Being English, I didn't realise that my dates seem to coincide with Spring Break as well? (argh!)

The best options (within my budget of max $300ish/night - before taxes and resort fees) I've been able to find are either:

1) Mondrian South Beach - 1 bed suite with bay view
2) Trump Doral - Deluxe/Premier room

Initially the Mondrian seemed like the obvious choice, partly because of the balcony with beautiful Bay views! But I'm not looking for noisy, crazy parties and I'm worried with it being Spring Break/busy that the Mondrian could be party hell on earth?! I'm a single female travelling alone and just want somewhere to chill with a glass of wine, enjoy the views and maybe explore a little. (Note that when I return to Miami for 3 nights I have an AirBNB booked in South Beach so I don't "need" to be in South Beach when I first arrive as I'll be back - hence the original plan to split my stays between Brickell and South Beach).

Hence why I've started considering Trump Doral. I'm not a golfer but it will be quiet (I think!) and green and I can just relax rather than being kept awake by people partying. I must admit that there is also a perverse part of me that is quite curious to experience a Trump hotel given Trump's current "position". And of course it's very convenient for the airport

Can any of you help me from your own experience please? Will the Mondrian be obnoxious party hell? Will Trump Doral be gold-plated over-priced golf boredom? Really appreciate your thoughts please! I know it's only 2 nights but it's a lot of money to pay to make a horrible mistake.

Many thanks in advance!!
The dates also correspond with the Tennis tournament which many consider to be the 5th major on Key Biscayne. (March 20th to April 2nd) Many players and fans will stay in the Brickell area as there are limited options on Key Biscayne. We run shuttles from the hotels in the Downtown/Brickell area to the tournament site during the two weeks it is played.

http://miamiopen.com/

South Beach's Spring Break occurs on the east side of the area along Ocean Dr., Collins Ave, and Washington Ave. The Mondrian is located on West Ave, and id usually priced way above what Spring Breakers can afford. It should be quiet there as opposed to all the loud music and partying along the East Side of South Beach.

The Trump Doral is a more quiet area, but expect a few snags in trying to get to the areas of sightseeing and shopping as it is set back about a mile from the main street and security has to let vehicles in (Uber not allowed). It is a golf resort, but has an excellent spa if you want some pampering. There is also the Blue, next door which is a little less expensive. If you really want to experience a Trump property, you should look into the Trump International Beach Resort in Sunny Isles Beach which is directly on the beach with a lot of restaurants and shopping in walking distance. In fact the streets of Sunny Isles can be seen with many tourists out and about at all times of the day walking.

Being in the transportation business, I see a lot of different areas and can be open to give further information if asked.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA
Do you plan to rent a car

How you plan to get around should be the main determining factor in where you stay. There is nothing of tourist interest in Doral (although there are some good restaurants around Doral). However, if you plan to rent a car. Doral provides decent access to the Everglades. You'll be dealing with traffic going to the beaches at any time of the week except for very early in the morning on weekends.

The Bayside area of South Beach should be mostly quiet even during Spring Break. I can't speak for the hotel itself (maybe some of the guests will be noisy?), but the Bayside doesn't have the bars and clubs that the beachside of the island has.

You may also want to consider looking for hotels in the Fort Lauderdale or West Palm area. There is a train (http://www.tri-rail.com/) that runs every 30-60 minutes from Miami Airport to Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. It takes less than an hour to get to the Fort Lauderdale area and two hours to ride the whole line to the northernmost stop. A lot of the Trirail stations have free/discounted shuttle busses to the beach and commercial areas.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, Accor Gold
I'm not planning to rent a car as I'm in Miami for less than 48 hours. I arrive on Thurs eve at 8pm (obviously could be quite late by the time I exit the airport from what I hear about Miami immigration) and leave again on Sat morning. So for what is just one full day, I'm looking to chill mainly. No interest in shopping. Especially given that I'll be back in Miami for a longer stay one week later when I AM planning to get out and do stuff.

The Mondrian gets such mixed reviews. I'd be quite happy strolling round Bayside, picking up some food from Whole Foods and then chilling on my balcony with a glass of wine enjoying the sunset. But if that's accompanied by a pumping bass for 8 hours and a load of noisy neighbours partying all night, heaven could easily turn into hell! I will be bringing my ear plus but....

Trump Doral looks like it may be the other extreme and maybe too quiet! But guaranteed quiet is quite tempting versus the risk of 2 nights of all-night party noise.

Unfortunately because my (former) AirBNB host decided to cancel on me so late, it means my options are very limited as prices are sky high and all the reasonable value places are fully booked. I just can't justify paying $500+ per night for a hotel room on what was originally planned as just a short stopover costing me only $400 total for 2 nights. Frustrating as I always put a lot of effort into planning my vacations and choosing where to stay. First time I've been screwed over by an AirBNB host (who clearly is renting his apartment out to someone else for more money since it's Miami Open weekend). Oh well, you live and learn. I won't risk AirBNB in Miami again after this experience. So the Mondrian (whose prices are now way higher than the deal I have locked in) or Trump Doral it is!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.