Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wifi at TPA Airport - ok on Android phone, not working Windows PC

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Wifi at TPA Airport - ok on Android phone, not working Windows PC

At TPA airport this is the second time having issues with the wifi. On my android phone, I connect to the wifi and it brings up the splash page automatically. Clicking on Accept then opens the Internet.

On my windows PC, the splash page doesn't pop up after connecting. I looked up ipconfig to find the gateway IP 172.17.0.1 and put that in the browser. The first time you try this it does redirect to the splash page. However, clicking Accept on that page still doesn't open up the Internet.

Has anyone figured out the trick with windows PCs at TPA? This has happened to me last year and now, and on 2 different laptops.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: No single airline or hotel chain is of much use to me anymore.
Are you using manual DNS settings? Those can interfere with captive portals.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Error 601
Are you using manual DNS settings? Those can interfere with captive portals.
Good question. I am using the Google DNS servers. I will have to set those back to automatic next time and see if that's the trick.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by alchemista
Good question. I am using the Google DNS servers. I will have to set those back to automatic next time and see if that's the trick.
You may also want to flush your DNS cache while you're at it. Happens to me a few times a week when I mix working from home and anywhere where I have a sign-in or check-in portal.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please continue to follow this in the Florida/Tampa forums.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by alchemista
This is likely the problem... The captive portal has to re-direct you to itself first and it often does this via DNS. If you're not using the default DNS servers provided, you're not going to get the redirect.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 7:53 am

As a data point: I fly out of Tampa 3-4 times a month. I use the airport wi-fi for my phone and work laptop, and it routinely works smoothly, receiving the airport disclaimer and survey web pages when I connect. DNS settings are on auto.

-db

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.