Reload this Page >

NOLA folks: what airline?

NOLA folks: what airline?

Old Mar 27, 2017, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
[QUOTE
Originally Posted by swag
Not surprising, since the first BA departure from MSY isn't until tonight.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:16 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I think C1 is one of the few gates setup for international arrivals, and I suspect the lounge is just a room for quarantining pax at the moment.

I have a travel journalist friend in the air right now from LHR on the inaugural flight. I'm sure he'll be posting soon.

I so want to try that flight, but evil YQ on awards is holding me back. Sure would be nice to have a part-time airline job at MSY now
Old Mar 27, 2017, 2:20 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

We should probably do an MSY roll call at some point, and try to organize a meetup or DO.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It looks like the BA flight is using C11, at least based on today's http://flymsy.com/Flight-info board.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 8:45 pm

It looks like the BA flight is using C11, at least based on today's http://flymsy.com/Flight-info board.

Definitely used C11.

Off topic, but, new terminal completion date pushed back to Feb. 2019.
Old Mar 27, 2017, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does it arrive and depart from C11? Where are the immigration and customs facilities?
Old Mar 27, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: Marriot Rewards, AC Aeroplan, UA MileagePlus, WN Rapid Rewards
Immigration and Customs is in Concourse C. There are 6 gates capable of handling international passengers in that concourse.

@FLYMSY...at least it's a good reason for the delay. Adding 5 more gates to the project due to unexpected growth in demand. Makes more sense to hold off on opening the new terminal for a few months longer, so that operations won't be as impacted.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Delta has the only lounge at MSY, as far as I know.
Originally Posted by Blumie
I was wandering around Terminal C once with some extra time on my hands, before BA had even announced its MSY-LHR service, and I noticed a door marked "International Lounge," or something like that. It was locked and looked dark inside, and I never can recalling having seen it before, let alone in operation. But if you look at this map you can see it adjacent to Gate C1. I'm assuming BA departs from Terminal C. Perhaps this is the lounge that they're using (although note that a search of lounge locations on BA.com does not list this one).
I've seen that door also. It does show on the terminal map (proof it really exists!) but I agree it's odd that there's an absence of info about it anywhere online.

My Mom is actually flying BA J out of MSY soon. I'll ask her to check it out if she has time.
So as reported on the BA board, BA is not providing lounge access at MSY, and instead is giving J passengers a $28 voucher to use at the crap food vendors at MSY. Nothing like a couple of Lucky Dogs before an 8-hour flight!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:13 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

There are some pretty good restaurants at MSY now. Mostly outside security.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
There are some pretty good restaurants at MSY now. Mostly outside security.
Which ones are you thinking of? In my experience -- although it's dated; after many disappointing experiences I gave up -- the airport would partner with quality New Orleans establishments and then dumb down the product so much that it bore no resemblance to the food sold at the New Orleans flagship. I have recently tried the offerings at the Zaterain's establishment in Terminal C, and wondered afterwards if the good folks at Zaterain's are aware of how licensing their name to this eatery may be damaging their reputation.

Note, by the way, that these places are all run by giant concession conglomerates -- HMS Host and Delaware North, I think -- and not by the establishments whose names they license. That will be the case in the new terminal as well.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:58 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

There's a College Inn and an Acme oyster place. You're right in that none are as good as their namesake, but are decent for an airport. Outside security. The C gates restaurants inside are nothing to write home about.

I am somewhat devastated that the Popeyes chicken went away.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's a College Inn and an Acme oyster place. You're right in that none are as good as their namesake, but are decent for an airport. Outside security. The C gates restaurants inside are nothing to write home about.

The Acme is gone. It's been Dooky Chase (but in name only, of course) for a long time. I've never been to the College Inn -- it's in Concourse D; I generally fly AA out of C -- but I'm sure it's just another example of the folks at HMS Host/Delaware North destroying another great establishment.

All of this said, there is no reason, other than a delayed departure, someone should be eating anything when flying out of MSY. You just came from one of the great food cities in the world. Why would you leave the city early and arrive at the airport with enough time to dine rather than just eating before leaving?!?! In the case of the BA flight, which got us on this discussion, it's a 9:15pm flight; either have an early dinner or grab a muff or other to-go option before leaving NOLA. That's going to be so much better than anything you will eat at the airport or on the flight, or that you could have eaten had there been a lounge option. (For the same reason, I always refuse to eat on flights into MSY. In fact I think eating airplane food when flying into MSY ought to be outlawed. Why would you do that?!?!)

Last edited by Blumie; Apr 2, 2017 at 8:52 am
Old Apr 2, 2017, 8:26 pm

Nope. College Inn is past security, not outside. Terminal D is the terminal I mostly fly out of. Just did it this weekend.

Originally Posted by Blumie
The Acme is gone. It's been Dooky Chase (but in name only, of course) for a long time. I've never been to the College Inn -- it's in Concourse D; I generally fly AA out of C -- but I'm sure it's just another example of the folks at HMS Host/Delaware North destroying another great establishment.

All of this said, there is no reason, other than a delayed departure, someone should be eating anything when flying out of MSY. You just came from one of the great food cities in the world. Why would you leave the city early and arrive at the airport with enough time to dine rather than just eating before leaving?!?! In the case of the BA flight, which got us on this discussion, it's a 9:15pm flight; either have an early dinner or grab a muff or other to-go option before leaving NOLA. That's going to be so much better than anything you will eat at the airport or on the flight, or that you could have eaten had there been a lounge option. (For the same reason, I always refuse to eat on flights into MSY. In fact I think eating airplane food when flying into MSY ought to be outlawed. Why would you do that?!?!)
This! I don't eat the food at the airport and have no desire to do so. I'd rather bring a PB&J sandwich from home than eat at the airport places.

Here's a link to an Eater NOLA story:

http://nola.eater.com/2015/5/20/8627...tional-airport

(Edited to add link.)

Last edited by FLYMSY; Apr 2, 2017 at 8:40 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
My mother flew out on this flight last week. The BA desk gave her the $28 voucher, and when I asked, discouraged her from the lounge. Still, she popped in to see it, and described it to me as "terrible". A few plastic chairs and some prepackaged cookies, and that's it.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My mother flew out on this flight last week. The BA desk gave her the $28 voucher, and when I asked, discouraged her from the lounge. Still, she popped in to see it, and described it to me as "terrible". A few plastic chairs and some prepackaged cookies, and that's it.
Have BA in fact opened the International Lounge in Terminal C? So you get a $28 credit and some plastic chairs on which to enjoy your purchases? Did you mom report to you how she spent her voucher? A couple dozen 12-hour-old donuts from Dunkin Donuts?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.