Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Downtown or Buckhead while attending conference downtown

Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:20 am
Original Poster

Not a simple decision....

Going for 2.5 days midweek next month and trying to decide what's the best option. Conference is being held at the Sheraton - Atlanta downtown and having read up, there's not much to do in the area.

The RC Atlanta is booked so looking at RC Buckhead or St. Regis. Being from Chicago the 8 mile commute wouldn't be a deal breaker. Actually I have the ability to grab a car for the 3 days if I elect, so getting around wouldn't be an issue.

Stay downtown and head up north for dinner and after work festivities or stay north and commute down.

TIA on feedback.
Old Oct 14, 2016, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by ords
Not a simple decision....

Going for 2.5 days midweek next month and trying to decide what's the best option. Conference is being held at the Sheraton - Atlanta downtown and having read up, there's not much to do in the area.

The RC Atlanta is booked so looking at RC Buckhead or St. Regis. Being from Chicago the 8 mile commute wouldn't be a deal breaker. Actually I have the ability to grab a car for the 3 days if I elect, so getting around wouldn't be an issue.

Stay downtown and head up north for dinner and after work festivities or stay north and commute down.

TIA on feedback.
For me it would depend on how much time I had free in the evenings. Both the RC and St. Regis have a lot of good dining options close by and I do like to drink so those would be my choice. But if I only had a couple of hours in the evenings and had to be at the conference very early, I would stay as close as I could. Maybe Uber out in the evenings but you're right, there isn't much near the Sheraton and I wouldn't walk around there.
Old Oct 15, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
Depends on what you want to do. There is plenty to do downtown. The aquarium is world-class. The college football hall of fame is open. The World of Coke is interesting. Dining downtown is good too. Staplehouse, about 1.5 miles from the Sheraton, has received about every award possible this year.

If you're into dining/shopping and a more residential feel, then stay in Buckhead. The dining is as good as you'll find anywhere. You can walk/jog at night without concern.

The commute won't be bad. Get out and explore the town. Enjoy Atlanta!
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Thank you both for replying. I've decided to stay up north and grab a rental.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
I always vote for close to the conference and just recently had one in Atlanta and it was a good decision.

Atlanta can have some serious traffic. Time spent in the car is not time spent in bed or at the bar
Old Nov 14, 2016, 6:12 am
Original Poster

Just a follow up.

Had no serious issues driving down from Buckhead to downtown the 3 days I was there. I planned my trip to leave the St. Regis around 7:15a and was pulling up no later than 25 minutes to the Sheraton downtown.

On the way back up, it was around 6:30 each night so for me it appeared to be on the tail end of rush hour. By 8pm I was out cocktailing and enjoying the Buckhead.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.