Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BILTMORE???? On the cheap!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2016, 8:36 am
Original Poster

BILTMORE???? On the cheap!

Taking 4 kids to Asville, NC and just looked at tickets to get into the Biltmore estate. $60 per person? Are they serious? So any ideas of how to make it more affordable or any other affordable must-dos in Ashville will be greatly appreciated !!!!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Was in Asheville just a couple days ago and was similarly shocked by the ticket price. It seems like tourist attraction entry fees worldwide are outpacing the pace of inflation, and with few other castle-like attractions in the region I can see how they feel that they are in a position to name their own price. The Hilton Biltmore Park (not as close to the estate as you might assume) offered a package where you could get two days of admission for the price of one ($60).

We decided to pass on Biltmore. The Blue Ridge Parkway area offered stunning views for the cost of half a tank of gas (which itself was pretty cheap around there!), so we're pretty happy with our Asheville experience!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:14 pm

I've been many times throughout my life and it has always been pricey. That places takes an amazing amount of money and staff to run. I love it though, especially having been a few times and knowing where things are and knowing my way through the gardens.

How old are the kids? Some ages get in for free. 10-16, I believe. I don't think a kid younger than that would get anything out of a visit and no strollers or touching things in the house. I mean, it's a house, not a place that any kind of running and playing would be appropriate. The grounds would be fun for them. There is a petting area of the farm which I always like.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 4:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
There's a rather elegant independent hotel on the estate. It's probably expensive, but you might want to check whether guests get discounted tickets.

There's also a winery with a huge tasting room, although obviously not for kids.

Would it perhaps be cheaper just to stay in one of the Biltmore hotels such as the famous Coral Gables property?

BTW, Ashville isn't that far from Spartenberg, where there's a BWM factory (assembly line tour) and museum. IIRC there's also a driving track where you can pay for lessons.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:05 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I've lived in Asheville 20 years, and I have been inside the house once. I only did that because my father was visiting and wanted to see it (and was paying). Quite honestly, I wouldn't go back inside even if it was free.
From time to time, friends have given me free passes, which I have used to tour the gardens and grounds. Those are beautiful, but still not worth spending more than a few bucks on.

Asheville is surrounded by so much natural beauty which you can enjoy for free. Visit the Smokies (1 hour away) or cruise the Parkway. Or take the kids to the Western NC Nature Center, to Sliding Rock, go whitewater rafting, to the Colburn Earth Science Museum, the Cradle of Forestry (which is near to Sliding Rock), ride on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, etc..........

Tell us more about your family's interests and more suggestions can come.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
IIRC the house is privately owned and does not receive public funding, so the admission fees etc must support the upkeep, salaries, etc.

The website notes that kids under 10 are always free, and that kids 10-16 are half price. But until August 31 each adult can take in two kids 10-16 for free.

$10 off adult ticket if buying at least 7 days in advance
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
I've been to Asheville dozens of times and never bothered with the Biltmore. I've toured lesser homes elsewhere and paid much less to do so. A great way to see it without going in is to buy or rent the movie "Being There". Besides having been filmed on site, it's a great movie and Peter Sellers' swan song.

Some of my kids have been on school trips. I don't recall paying anything like $60 and lunch and the bus from Knoxville would have been included. Any way you can get in with a group?

My favorite activity (excluding restaurants and breweries) in Asheville is the zoo. It's very convenient, well laid out, well stocked with native wildlife, and *this can be key* well shaded.

Be careful with your accommodations. I once used Priceline or Hotwire and ended up in an absolute dump right at that exit off I-40.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the kids will be free. But it will still cost us $120 to see it. Seems like a lot of money for looking at a house/gardens. Any ideas on coupons? With that Hilton can you buy one get one free without staying there?
Old Jul 26, 2016, 4:57 am

Costco has admission tickets for $49 each tax included which gives you 2 consecutive day s
Entrance. Good any day of the week. Great buy!
Old Jul 26, 2016, 5:38 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;26944946]There's a rather elegant independent hotel on the estate. It's probably expensive, but you might want to check whether guests get discounted tickets.

There's also a winery with a huge tasting room, although obviously not for kids.

Would it perhaps be cheaper just to stay in one of the Biltmore hotels such as the famous Coral Gables property?

BTW, Ashville isn't that far from Spartenberg, where there's a BWM factory (assembly line tour) and museum. IIRC there's also a driving track where you can pay for lessons.[/Q

Hmmm, that's an interesting thought. You are right. Maybe if we pay more for the hotel we can get tickets cheaper. I will have to call them.
What's BWM factory? or you mean BMW? my kids may be too young for that (2, 5, 7, 9). But thanks for the idea!!
Old Jul 27, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
The Biltmore house is a stunning place, well worth a visit if you like grand, palatial houses. Commenters who don't like the house are evidently not connoisseurs of grand architecture.

With kids that young, you might want to limit your visit to the grounds. The gardens are spectacular.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 12:20 pm

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by Irka
Yes, the kids will be free. But it will still cost us $120 to see it. Seems like a lot of money for looking at a house/gardens. Any ideas on coupons? With that Hilton can you buy one get one free without staying there?
Just to be clear, the Hilton was offering two days for the price of one - not two people for the price of one. You'd have to call to see if they would do it for a non-guest. They had Biltmore-branded promotional material for the offer literally affixed to the front desk, so I presume that it may be an offer available at other hotels.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onthego15
I've lived in Asheville 20 years, and I have been inside the house once. I only did that because my father was visiting and wanted to see it (and was paying). Quite honestly, I wouldn't go back inside even if it was free.
From time to time, friends have given me free passes, which I have used to tour the gardens and grounds. Those are beautiful, but still not worth spending more than a few bucks on.

Asheville is surrounded by so much natural beauty which you can enjoy for free. Visit the Smokies (1 hour away) or cruise the Parkway. Or take the kids to the Western NC Nature Center, to Sliding Rock, go whitewater rafting, to the Colburn Earth Science Museum, the Cradle of Forestry (which is near to Sliding Rock), ride on the Great Smoky Mountains Railroad, etc..........

Tell us more about your family's interests and more suggestions can come.
Hey, thanks so much. After you listed all that I must admit I am considering skipping Biltmore (although that was originally the reason to book the trip). We are planning to do the railroad. Also, if I may ask, what are good Cherokee related things to do in the area? They would really like that. And also any kid friendly interesting restaurant recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 7:58 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by Irka
Hey, thanks so much. After you listed all that I must admit I am considering skipping Biltmore (although that was originally the reason to book the trip). We are planning to do the railroad. Also, if I may ask, what are good Cherokee related things to do in the area? They would really like that. And also any kid friendly interesting restaurant recommendations are greatly appreciated!
Here is a list of Cherokee attractions:
http://www.blueridgeheritage.com/heritage/cherokee
I haven't done any of them in a long time, so I won't comment.

Kid friendly restaurants would include:
Farm Burger
Mellow Mushroom
Mamacitas
White Duck Taco
Chai Pani
Ultimate Ice Cream
Asheville Pizza and Brewing
Early Girl Eatery
Old Jul 28, 2016, 12:27 pm

It's all about preferences.. I think Cherokee (the town) is cheesy and I looooove Biltmore. But, I don't think I would take four small children to Biltmore. I see a huge part of the experience being totally lost on them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.