Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Charlotte or Charleston, trying to plan a bachelor party..

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:59 pm
Original Poster

Hey everyone --

Connecticut born, but living in California for the last 10 years. A good friend of mine (living in Brooklyn) is getting married in Nashville end of June. Not that any of this matters, but I am trying to plan out a bachelor party for him in March for 3 days. We have narrowed down our locations to Charlotte or Charleston, and there will be 8 of us. I am not necessarily looking for "things to do" but more so a reason to choose 1 location over the other.

Anything and everything will help!

Thanks much and Happy Holidays!
Steve
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
I have lived in the Carolinas for over 40 years, and I can not remember ever hearing anyone I know say they want to visit Charlotte. And the friends I have who live there all do so because that's where their jobs are, not because they like Charlotte.
Charleston has many attractions - proximity to the ocean, beautiful gardens, many wonderful restaurants, it's a fascinating city to walk around and explore with innumerable historical buildings and diverse architecture. And it's renowned for being one of the friendliest cities to visit.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onthego15
I have lived in the Carolinas for over 40 years, and I can not remember ever hearing anyone I know say they want to visit Charlotte. And the friends I have who live there all do so because that's where their jobs are, not because they like Charlotte.
Charleston has many attractions - proximity to the ocean, beautiful gardens, many wonderful restaurants, it's a fascinating city to walk around and explore with innumerable historical buildings and diverse architecture. And it's renowned for being one of the friendliest cities to visit.
Thank you, onthego15!

Would you say Charleston could be a spot to host a bachelor party at all? I keep feeling like my wife and I would appreciate it way more than my buddies...
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:10 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by senjoim
Thank you, onthego15!

Would you say Charleston could be a spot to host a bachelor party at all? I keep feeling like my wife and I would appreciate it way more than my buddies...
How old are you? I think as we get older we seek out less boisterous and obvious bachelor party locations.

I think Charleston is a great giggle for beers, very walkable, lots of watering holes, amazing food if you want it and very nice people. I'd start on the roof bar at the Market Pavilion Hotel and go downhill from there.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Charlotte? NC? Really? I can think of 100 better locations.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by senjoim
Thank you, onthego15!

Well, I've never been to a bachelor party, so I can't help you with specifics, but you can start with Johnny Columbia's suggestions. You could also look at Charleston City Paper's guides to bars, dining, etc. (scroll to bottom of page):
http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

I am 29 and the group I am with is in the same age range.

I agree with Charlotte, it wasn't even remotely on my own personal list but a buddy of ours threw it out there so I figured I'd ask. I have heard positive things about Charleston and it being a nice area to visit. We went to New Orleans for my bachelor party last year and while that was fun, I think we all felt it was more than enough.

Austin or Chicago might be nice destinations. But financially I don't think everyone is up for spending a whole lot of money on a trip if they can avoid it.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Last edited by senjoim; Dec 26, 2015 at 5:29 pm
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*

I live in neither but have spent lots of time in both. Charleston is old South - not as much as Savanah but you get the idea. Charlotte is new South. So when you think bachelor party are you thinking of big city bar hopping like Atlanta or a smaller town with "cooler" pubs.

Do you want "services" for the party? Charlotte is a big banking town - bankers have money and entertain frequently.

Do you want a beach - or big city experience (I'm being gracious and calling CLT a big city).

Do you want a destination? Charleston is destination - it would be hard to say that about Charlotte.

Charlotte is an easy and cheap airport so fares are likely cheaper and flights more direct.

How long do you have? You could fly to CLT - drive to Charleston. Another suggestion would be Asheville - especially if you like mountains, hiking, beer or snow-skiing (very weather dependent).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.