Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

STR-ATL-CUN. Is immigration/bag re-check required in ATL?

Old Jul 24, 2015, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Hey Everyone,

I have a question that I can't seem to get a consistent answer to:

When flying from Stuttgart, Germany to Cancun, Mexico, with a stopover in Atlanta, will I have to go through USA immigration control and re-check my bags as if I were taking a domestic connecting flight?

I've contacted Delta Air Lines twice and both times I was given a different answer. First, the agent told me that, no, I would not have to go through immigration in ATL or re-check my bags as my connecting flight was an international destination. The second time I called (just to be sure) the agent informed me that, yes, even though my connecting flight was to Mexico, I would have to go through the USA immigration process and re-check my bags. She continued to tell me that this policy was "new" but I haven't been able to verify this on-line.

This issue is of particular importance because a member of our travel group is Serbian and currently undergoing the application process for a US Visa, and while he waits for confirmation as to whether or not his application has been approved, he is not allowed to immigrate into the USA, but a simple change of planes at ATL without going through immigration doesn't technically count as having had "visited", right?

So in the end I guess that was 2 questions, but any info that you guys could provide would be a great help and very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:35 am

Programs: AM, UA, AA
You will go through immigration

International to International bags are checked all the way to CUN
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 pm
sw3
Used to be 'etrevino'

Programs: AA, BA, AM Plat, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rene86mx
You will go through immigration

International to International bags are checked all the way to CUN
That's correct, in addition your carry-on baggage has to go through customs in ATL.

Also, keep in mind that if you have to go through security again (I don't know if that's the case in ATL), if you bring liquids/gels/marmalade/etc in containers larger than 100 ml with you, presumably from the duty free shops in STR, those things will have to be put in checked baggage so either you will have to check your carry-on at ATL for the ATL-CUN segment, or ask for the bags to be given to you at ATL. Security won't allow you to go airside with wine bottles and so.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:04 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Matre-plongeur des Muccis
Airport questions are generally best asked in the destination forum hosting the airport in question (ATL is in the South forum).

JDiver
Senior Moderator

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.