Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where *not* to eat in CLT

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Where *not* to eat in CLT

Had a short layover in CLT with my family and wanted to grab a quick meal to take on board to our connecting flight. We exited our arrival concourse into the atrium and saw Sbarro's, BK, Quizno's, and Tequileria. Mexican seemed more enticing (and possibly healthier) than the other options so we ducked into their take-out counter and ordered a burrito and taco ("Mexican style") entrees.

When we opened up our take-out not more than 15 minutes later, we found very spartan servings: no chips/salsa included, just the bare minimum - if that - amount of food, and totally bland. Tacos were especially unappetizing: immediately fell apart (very annoying when you're eating at the gate), included a few morsels of chicken (literally "morsels"), scant "vegetables," and were cold.

We also picked up a pre-made sandwich from Farmers Market. The shop was pleasant enough, but very annoying to shop at: Absolutely none of the food had any prices and there was no menu posted with prices, so you had to ask the cashier how much everything cost. I asked her why there were no prices marked: "because they're always changing all the time." Has airport retail gotten wise to yield pricing? Very annoying, and must be a PITA for the cashier. I expect obscene pricing for all food at airports, but I like to know the level of gouging before they ring it up...

Where do other travelers recommend eating in CLT? Seems like a pleasant enough airport (bathrooms have friendly attendants!), and surely there are better options.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Ajoy Chandra
Had a short layover in CLT with my family and wanted to grab a quick meal to take on board to our connecting flight. We exited our arrival concourse into the atrium and saw Sbarro's, BK, Quizno's, and Tequileria. Mexican seemed more enticing (and possibly healthier) than the other options so we ducked into their take-out counter and ordered a burrito and taco ("Mexican style") entrees.

When we opened up our take-out not more than 15 minutes later, we found very spartan servings: no chips/salsa included, just the bare minimum - if that - amount of food, and totally bland. Tacos were especially unappetizing: immediately fell apart (very annoying when you're eating at the gate), included a few morsels of chicken (literally "morsels"), scant "vegetables," and were cold.

We also picked up a pre-made sandwich from Farmers Market. The shop was pleasant enough, but very annoying to shop at: Absolutely none of the food had any prices and there was no menu posted with prices, so you had to ask the cashier how much everything cost. I asked her why there were no prices marked: "because they're always changing all the time." Has airport retail gotten wise to yield pricing? Very annoying, and must be a PITA for the cashier. I expect obscene pricing for all food at airports, but I like to know the level of gouging before they ring it up...

Where do other travelers recommend eating in CLT? Seems like a pleasant enough airport (bathrooms have friendly attendants!), and surely there are better options.
There's a very long CLT airport thread hidden in the US forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...e-airport.html

I've eaten at the Tequileria once, dined in, had a steak IIRC, and it was fine. By no means the best, but decent for an airport.

For quick takeout, the BBQ spot in the atrium isn't bad. Bojangles is good fried chicken.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by swag
There's a very long CLT airport thread hidden in the US forum:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/us-ai...e-airport.html

I've eaten at the Tequileria once, dined in, had a steak IIRC, and it was fine. By no means the best, but decent for an airport.

For quick takeout, the BBQ spot in the atrium isn't bad. Bojangles is good fried chicken.
Last time I ate at CLT was a number of years ago. There was a local brewhouse of some type where I don't recall the food but the beer was excellent. I think there was a seafood place next door that fellow travelers opted for with no complaints.
Old Jul 4, 2015, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
A few months ago when I was at a conference in Charlotte, a colleague suggested we find a nice place for dinner. When I suggested we head to the airport, since there were a number of fine dining places there, he called the folks in the white coats.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:35 am

Programs: AA
Add Big Daddy's to the list. Breakfast was fake eggs, potatoes, toast with no butter, all served quickly yet somehow cold. I couldn't finish it.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:28 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Taz1983
Add Big Daddy's to the list. Breakfast was fake eggs, potatoes, toast with no butter, all served quickly yet somehow cold. I couldn't finish it.
That is a shame. I've never had the breakfest there but the burgers are good.

Last edited by Madone59; Aug 10, 2015 at 2:57 pm
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K M, AA 2 MM PREM, AVIS First, HYATT Explorist, Marriott Lifetime Platinum., Hilton Gold.
I think there is a Bojangles at CLT. I would love to have some cajun fried chicken right about now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.