Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Visiting Charleston in April - Where To Stay And How To Get Around?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2015, 3:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum

I'm visiting Charleston in April of next year with my parents (both pensioners but in pretty good shape). We're looking to do the tourist thing - my dad definitely wants to see Fort Sumter and other Civil War related sites and spots of interest but my mum and I wanted to soak up the atmosphere of the city.

Any folks here able to advise on the best general location in the city to look for a hotel (any hotel recs would also be gratefully received - we're looking at decent 3*/4* properties and chains are fine)?

Also, is it relatively easy to get around the city on foot in April? I know that it's very humid in summer but don't know if April's likely to also be unbearable. If it's not walkable, will I need a car or is there a public transport/taxi option that's reasonably priced?

No doubt I'll have other stupid questions as April draws nearer so apologies in advance!

1F
Old May 24, 2015, 7:55 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
I'm visiting Charleston in April of next year with my parents (both pensioners but in pretty good shape). We're looking to do the tourist thing - my dad definitely wants to see Fort Sumter and other Civil War related sites and spots of interest but my mum and I wanted to soak up the atmosphere of the city.

Any folks here able to advise on the best general location in the city to look for a hotel (any hotel recs would also be gratefully received - we're looking at decent 3*/4* properties and chains are fine)?

Also, is it relatively easy to get around the city on foot in April? I know that it's very humid in summer but don't know if April's likely to also be unbearable. If it's not walkable, will I need a car or is there a public transport/taxi option that's reasonably priced?

No doubt I'll have other stupid questions as April draws nearer so apologies in advance!

1F
April is my favorite time to be in Charleston. Weather is very nice then. Normal temperatures are highs in the 70s and lows in the 50s.
Downtown Charleston is very walkable. There is lots to see and do downtown.
Fort Sumter ferry leaves from downtown.
There is also much to see outside Charleston. For example April is a wonderful time to see the gardens. Also, if your Dad really wants to see lots of Civil War sites, he may want to get outside downtown.
There are many tour companies operating in Charleston, so it is possible to get to outlying sites without having your own car.
Old May 25, 2015, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Ah excellent! Thank you, onthego15. I'll start checking out the tour companies.

Cheers

1F
Old May 25, 2015, 6:04 pm

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
Ah excellent! Thank you, onthego15. I'll start checking out the tour companies.

Cheers

1F
You can get an hour long carriage tour combined with an 1.5 hour harbor boat tour for less than $40. That's a good combo. (you don't have to do them on the same day). I did this one:
http://palmettocarriage.com/tours/ca...or-tour-combo/
Also, I enjoyed the walking tour provided by:
http://www.charlestonfootprints.com/
If you are new to Charleston, it's good to do a couple tours with pros before you strike out on your own. They will help you get a sense of what is there to see and do. Also Charleston's Visitor Center is an excellent source of info.
There are already a number of threads in this forum on Charleston. Be sure to check them out, too.
Old May 28, 2015, 1:37 pm

I spent about 4 months working on an audit in Charleston and really liked the Hampton Inn Historic District. It's a great location (right off King St, just north of Calhoun) and easily walk able to lots of great restaurants and sites.

Just a few blocks south of that is the Renaissance which is very nice (more expensive).

+1 on the carriage tour! That's been my favorite "touristy" thing in Charleston!
Old Jun 15, 2015, 7:22 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We were in Charleston last week for one day...our first time. Loved it.

We ordered a free booklet from the Charleston Convention and Visitors Bureau, which is about 100 pages long:
http://www.charlestoncvb.com/

We did a tour to Drayton Hall, which we loved. There are other plantations, but we didn't have enough time. Would love to go back for a week. Charleston is so full of history.

Can't recommend a hotel because we were on a cruise ship that was docked there for the day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.