Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Columbus, Ga

Old Mar 7, 2015, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold

Just booked another 5 day stay with another hilton category 1 hotel for 20k points. Just wondering if anyone has suggestion on things to do in Columbus in the summer. Thanks!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:08 pm

Not sure what you enjoy, but they have set up a whitewater section of the river near Columbus. I haven't done it but might be some fun. Here is a Tripadvisor review.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Delta Diamond for 10 years(2004-2014),Hilton Gold,Club Carlson gold
Originally Posted by xooz
Not sure what you enjoy, but they have set up a whitewater section of the river near Columbus. I haven't done it but might be some fun. Here is a Tripadvisor review.
Thanks! looks pretty fun!
Old Mar 7, 2015, 9:35 pm

You can check out the National Infantry Museum.

What types of activities are you looking for? How far are you willing to venture from Columbus? How is your heat tolerance?

I'd recommend Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain if you aren't looking to stick strictly to Columbus.
Old Mar 7, 2015, 10:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by animalj7
You can check out the National Infantry Museum.

What types of activities are you looking for? How far are you willing to venture from Columbus? How is your heat tolerance?

I'd recommend Callaway Gardens in Pine Mountain if you aren't looking to stick strictly to Columbus.
anywhere within two hours lol. Book 5 nights, so time should not be an issue
Old Mar 8, 2015, 6:07 pm

The Little White House in Warm Springs is probably worth a visit.

There's all the Jimmy Carter-related stuff in Americus. The Andersonville POW camp is also nearby.

The Museum of Aviation in Warner Robins, Ga. is about a 90 minute drive east.

In Alabama, the town of Auburn is worth a visit. There's also the Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site, and downtown Montgomery is potentially of interest.

Of course Atlanta is within a two-hour drive and there's plenty to do there too.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:14 pm

Also, if you are a golfer, the Robert Trent Jones courses in Opelika AL are worth a day to play 36.
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
Also, if you are a golfer, the Robert Trent Jones courses in Opelika AL are worth a day to play 36.
Good idea! Just hope it doesn't get too hot
Old Mar 8, 2015, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lordsutch
The Little White House in Warm Springs is probably worth a visit.

There's all the Jimmy Carter-related stuff in Americus. The Andersonville POW camp is also nearby.

The Museum of Aviation in Warner Robins, Ga. is about a 90 minute drive east.

In Alabama, the town of Auburn is worth a visit. There's also the Tuskegee Institute National Historic Site, and downtown Montgomery is potentially of interest.

Of course Atlanta is within a two-hour drive and there's plenty to do there too.
Thanks!
Old Mar 9, 2015, 7:11 am

Programs: DL PM
When in the summer are you going to be there? My girlfriend lives near Columbus and I visit there from MI every other week. It can get pretty hot down there at times.

I would second the National Infantry Museum. I haven't been there but I'd like to see the National Civil War Naval Museum, which is also in Columbus. I do want to see Andersonville too.

Another option if you're outdoorsy is Providence Canyon State Park, near Lumpkin. There's a nice little hike down there, but again you might want to think twice if it's hot, and watch out for snakes. Lumpkin also has Historic Westville, but I'm not sure what their hours are.

If you're into wildlife/birding, there is the Eufaula National Wildlife Refuge near Eufaula, AL. There might not be a lot of birds around in the middle of summer, though.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 8:12 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Hilton Honors, Choice Privileges, BW Gold Crown
I would second all of above and just add -- just for some relaxation and low intensity exercise -- there is a very nice river walk in Columbus with access to restaurants, shopping, etc. to perhaps pass the time in the late afternoons or early evenings.
Old Mar 9, 2015, 9:00 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by angusho
Just booked another 5 day stay with another hilton category 1 hotel for 20k points. Just wondering if anyone has suggestion on things to do in Columbus in the summer. Thanks!
Angusho,

I live 45 mins away in Auburn, AL. I would suggest the white water rafting in Columbus. I've only heard good things about it. http://www.whitewaterexpress.com

There are a number of good restaurants downtown. My favorites are Plucked Up, Flip Side, and Black Cow.

Another way to cool down is by visiting Auburn's state park (45 mins away). Chewacla State Park is a gorgeous area. It includes a lake for canoeing/kayaking, fishing, hiking trails (including a awesome waterfall). http://www.alapark.com/chewacla-state-park
Old Mar 10, 2015, 11:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Originally Posted by mudpuppy

If you're into wildlife/birding, there is the Eufaula National Wildlife Refuge near Eufaula, AL. There might not be a lot of birds around in the middle of summer, though.
Eufaula also has one of the nicest collections of antebellum homes in the south. You can't go in (except maybe around Christmas) but a drive past them is worthwhile.

The lake itself is awesome as well. I'm pretty sure you can rent a pontoon boat at one of the marinas for an afternoon on the lake. Then you don't have to worry about how hot it is.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:08 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
Macon, GA isn't too far north-northeast of Columbus. There's a few decent things to do. Also home to the most churches per capita, last time I checked. If you haven't heard, Mercer Univ is located in Macon. They are the team that beat Duke last year in the NCAA Tournament. Glad to call it my alma mater.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChevyCruze
Macon, GA isn't too far north-northeast of Columbus. There's a few decent things to do. Also home to the most churches per capita, last time I checked. If you haven't heard, Mercer Univ is located in Macon. They are the team that beat Duke last year in the NCAA Tournament. Glad to call it my alma mater.
Wow! I remember watching that game!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.