Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to stay in Atlanta?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Where to stay in Atlanta?

booked Marriott Marquis but am wondering if it is close to the attractions?
We will be there 12-28 thru 12-31. Is a car necessary. Want to see the aquarium and the Coca Cola place. Any other suggestions???
Old Oct 13, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: Delta Plat, Southwest RR, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE
The new Coke place is pretty cool compared to the old one, at any age. Is it just you going or you taking a family? You may want a car to get around, since ATL is kinda spread out. Uber is always an option if you opt out of renting a car. ATL is really busy around NYE, since the Chick Fil A bowl is on NYE at the Georgia Dome. The Vortex or the Varsity are fun places to eat at.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
I've walked from that hotel to the area you want to see. It's not a bad walk at all unless you hit some cold December weather or have anyone who doesn't walk well in your group. If you're relatively young and fit I don't think you need a car. There's a MARTA stop a few blocks away as well.

Aquarium and World of Coke are right next to each other. Walk around the Centennial Park there too. It sounds like you're leaving on the 1st, but if you're actually staying until the 1st I'd recommend trying to get tickets to the Chick-Fil-A bowl.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I like the OMNI at CNN Center, near Olympic/Centennial Park. It's right at a MARTA station and a block or two from the aquarium and world of coke.

Depending on your interests, you might enjoy staying in midtown for a relaxing weekend with interesting neighborhoods, restaurants, and art museums. IIRC there's a W but most of midtown isn't real convenient for MARTA.

Downtown has the convention center, an underground passageway and big convention hotels but not much else. If you're doing a big convention hotel, at least the Westin's building is iconic and has some (modern) history, plus most of the rooms have amazing views. It was renovated a couple years ago after being closed due to hurricane damage (blown out windows and water). Avoid if you're afraid of heights.
Old Oct 30, 2014, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I don't think I'd consider staying in downtown ATL. Midtown or Buckhead for me all the way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.