Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

CLT vs. ATL a better drive to Greenville, SC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2014, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

I'm headed to Greenville later this week and flights into GSP are either sold out or cost-prohibitive ($1,000+).

I can fly into Charlotte and rent a car or do the same for Atlanta. Any input on whether it the drive from Charlotte is much easier/shorter?

The fares into Atlanta are cheaper, but it looks like it's closer to a 2 1/2 - 3 hour drive to get to the Atlanta airport.
Old May 5, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta PM, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Etihad Gold, Amtrak Select
I prefer Charlotte -- cleaner, less people, and just less hassle. There's shuttle service between Greenville and CLT, ~$27, if you don't want to rent a car.

Honestly though, the difference is about 40 minutes in driving time, with ATL being further. I suggest you take the difference in fare price between ATL and CLT, calculate it over this time difference, and see if the cash savings trumps the time savings $30-50 worth the extra 40 min?

On the other hand, if you want your cake and eat it too, why not go ATL, and make up the 40 min gap. Rental cars are, of course, the fastest cars you'll ever drive
Old May 5, 2014, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by luggagebin
I prefer Charlotte -- cleaner, less people, and just less hassle. There's shuttle service between Greenville and CLT, ~$27, if you don't want to rent a car.

Honestly though, the difference is about 40 minutes in driving time, with ATL being further. I suggest you take the difference in fare price between ATL and CLT, calculate it over this time difference, and see if the cash savings trumps the time savings $30-50 worth the extra 40 min?

On the other hand, if you want your cake and eat it too, why not go ATL, and make up the 40 min gap. Rental cars are, of course, the fastest cars you'll ever drive
Thanks, this is helpful, as is the info about a shuttle. I'm still recovering from an injury last month (sprained neck, shoulder and wrist/hand) and really wanted to avoid a long drive.
Old May 5, 2014, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, SWA, DL, Marriott Silver, Hilton Gold, Starwood GE, Club Carlson Plat, Hyatt Plat, IHG Amb
Charlotte is much better to get to Greenville. The airport is on the west side of Charlotte on I-85 which already heading out towards GV vs. ATL which is on the Southwest side of town so you have to fight traffic all the way through downtown heading NE.
Old May 5, 2014, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by imprezu
Charlotte is much better to get to Greenville. The airport is on the west side of Charlotte on I-85 which already heading out towards GV vs. ATL which is on the Southwest side of town so you have to fight traffic all the way through downtown heading NE.
I rarely post, but the answer (at least in my experience) is absolutely clear - Charlotte!

I've made the drive from north of Charlotte to Atlanta countless times to visit my then girlfrind, later-fiancee, now-wife - who moved up to NC after the wedding. With family in Greenville, and occasional other reasons to visit there, I've made the round trip to Greenville plenty of times as well - in addition to passing through on my Atlanta runs.

Just on Google maps, from each airport to downtown Greenville, the drive from Atlanta is about 60 miles longer. That's bad enough, but the real key is what imprezu points out - you have to experience every mile of Atlanta traffic! At least the first 40 miles, and maybe even 50 or more (past Lawrenceville at least) can be terrible. If the start of your drive or return to Atlanta overlaps at all with rush hour, the drive will be significantly longer and more stress-filled than the Charlotte drive.

From my home in Davidson, north of Charlotte, I can reliably be in downtown Greenville in between 1:15 and 1:30. When continuing the drive to my wifes old house in Atlanta, I counted on 3 more hours to Atlanta after passing Greenville. Sometimes the traffic gods were with me and it was a bit less. Much more often, there was some problem as I got close to Atlanta that made it longer.

Safe travels, whatever you decide. Greenville is a lovely town, with an amazing dining scene downtown for a city of its size. The Falls Park downtown is nice and there is much more there than you would expect. And as a Davidson fan, I almost always leave Greenville happy after a victory over Furman!
Old May 5, 2014, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Another vote for CLT. Smaller terminal, so you get out much quicker. Also with ATL, you still have to pass through the city. Not a huge deal, but it adds time & distance.

FYI, Columbia is also 90 minutes, and Asheville is an hour from Greenville (not that they'd have nonstops from south Florida....)
Old May 5, 2014, 9:04 pm
Original Poster

All right, it's unanimous. Thanks for all the great insights; just what I was hoping to learn from fellow FTers!

Now, one more question for those familiar with the CLT-Greenville route. I'll be done with work around 9:30 p.m. and have a morning flight out of Charlotte @ 9:23 a.m.
What's the traffic like from Greenville to Charlotte in the morning? Am I better off heading back to Charlotte or at least a mid-point that night or should traffic be OK around 7 a.m.?

Last edited by pbjag; May 5, 2014 at 9:27 pm
Old May 6, 2014, 3:48 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Admirals Club member
Originally Posted by pbjag
What's the traffic like from Greenville to Charlotte in the morning?
I-85 will be a little congested, but barring a wreck you'll drive the speed limit or better. Do leave a bunch of extra time, as the roads around the airport are under heavy construction. A few posters on the US Flyertalk page are complaining about it. There's good signage up, but some still invariably get lost or delayed.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:14 am

Programs: Life, Love and Laughter
Originally Posted by joeyE
Another vote for CLT. Smaller terminal, so you get out much quicker. Also with ATL, you still have to pass through the city. Not a huge deal, but it adds time & distance.

FYI, Columbia is also 90 minutes, and Asheville is an hour from Greenville (not that they'd have nonstops from south Florida....)
Actually Allegiant does have non-stops between AVL and PBI and FLL - but only a couple times a week.
Old May 6, 2014, 11:53 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Definitely Charlotte..... even though I think you may have heard that already....
Old May 6, 2014, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by onthego15
Actually Allegiant does have non-stops between AVL and PBI and FLL - but only a couple times a week.
I should have started this thread sooner. Don't know anything abut Allegiant but they do have a nonstop to GSP in the 8th. From PBI they have nonstops to Asheville. The timing won't quite work, but this is good to know for future.
Old May 6, 2014, 4:05 pm

Not even a competition... CLT. This is coming from a local to the area, originally from CLT, grew up in CHS and CAE and lived the last 8.5 years in ATL. It can take you longer to get from the actual ATL airport to the far NE suburbs of Atlanta than the whole drive from CLT. Ugh.
Old May 6, 2014, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Obviously, a unanimous choice (to which I agree). Just wanted to add- have a great time in Greenville, my favorite small city in the States. Absolutely love the downtown area.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
I regularly fly out of CLT and do the drive between Greenville and CLT. I'd set aside 1:45 for the drive back (which should have a good cushion left) and maybe 15 minutes of parking/returning the rental car to CLT.

GSP to CLT is 1:15; downtown Greenville is :15 more.

In Charlotte, take the Little Rock Road exit from I-85 (exit 31 or 32) to go the shortest way to the airport; once you've gone onto Little Rock Road, there is a Shell gas station on the left as you approach the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.