http://lineup.nojazzfest.com

Or, here:

http://www.wdsu.com/blob/view/-/2515...Fest-Cubes.pdf

Last edited by FLYMSY; Mar 25, 2014 at 1:07 pm
Old Mar 27, 2014, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
My plea to those who may be coming to Nola for JazzFest:

Ignore the big name acts. You can see those guys when they come to your hometown.
Instead, focus on the names you haven't heard of. You can read about them and listen to their music on the JazzFest website (linked above by FLYMSY) or, better yet, show up at the Fest and simply follow your ears. Go from stage to stage, tent to tent, and you'll be amazed at some of what you see and hear. (And don't forget to come hungry, because JazzFest features the best festival food you'll find anywhere. No pizza and hot dogs here!)
Old Mar 27, 2014, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by Blumie
(And don't forget to come hungry, because JazzFest features the best festival food you'll find anywhere. No pizza and hot dogs here!)
Well there is the new Lucky Dog cart over by the Grandstand, but that too is best avoided.
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:30 pm

This fest is an interesting travel phenomenon for me. Airfares have been through the roof for a couple months at least. It's $800-$1000+ r/t from most major airports that I've checked into MSY for a Friday arrival. I booked using United miles standard award (50,000 miles r/t). But there are still a good number of seats available on those flights. I'm wondering if United would have Saver awards available for unsold seats at the last minute?

This is the first major event I've traveled for where I've noticed this big of a fare jump. It seems worse than typical increases for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Despite all this, very excited for the fest!!!
Old Mar 28, 2014, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball
This fest is an interesting travel phenomenon for me. Airfares have been through the roof for a couple months at least. It's $800-$1000+ r/t from most major airports that I've checked into MSY for a Friday arrival. I booked using United miles standard award (50,000 miles r/t). But there are still a good number of seats available on those flights. I'm wondering if United would have Saver awards available for unsold seats at the last minute?

This is the first major event I've traveled for where I've noticed this big of a fare jump. It seems worse than typical increases for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Have you checked other area airports like BTR, LFT, or GPT?
Old Mar 28, 2014, 11:45 pm

Thanks for the suggestion. I had checked GPT but not the others.

LFT is cheapest at $515 r/t from ORD via IAH.

GPT and BTR are $600+, and most flights get in late Friday night.

At this point, for the convenience and cost I'm sticking with a direct early flight to MSY, but hoping that a Saver award pops up at some point so I can cancel the Standard award and rebook. Not counting on that though.
Old Mar 29, 2014, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SpicyMeatball

There's no doubt the airlines are getting smarter about this. On Southwest, the last few years, there have been no RR1 award seats for the prime flights to Jazzfest and many flights had no Wanna Get Away availability, even seconds after the schedule extension.

I can't speak specifically to UA, but if you're flying on a prime day (like the day before either fest weekend, or back out either Monday after), it's unlikely there will be any unsold seats on most flights.

If you're a first timer, you'll find a ton of useful info on my Jazzfest fan page at http://jazzfest.swagland.com.

And check out http://www.jazzfestgrids.com for a comprehensive listing of evening and night gigs, if you want even more music post-fest.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

O.K. , time for a little 1st weekend game:

You can only choose ONE must-see show/day of the 1st weekend. What is it? I'll go first.

Friday, April 25

Eric Lindell w/ Anson Funderburgh

Saturday, April 26

This is a very tough one for me because I have to go with the person who gave me one of the most vivid Jazz Fest memories ever! Back in the 1980's!

Ironing Board Sam He is a very unique character which is a big understatement. If we happen to run into each other, I'll share my story. LOL!

Sunday, April 27

YIKES!!!!!!!

North Mississippi Allstars
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

You can only choose ONE must-see show/day of the 1st weekend. What is it? I'll go first.

Friday, April 25

Saturday, April 26

This is a very tough one for me because I have to go with the person who gave me one of the most vivid Jazz Fest memories ever! Back in the 1980's!

Ironing Board Sam He is a very unique character which is a big understatement. If we happen to run into each other, I'll share my story. LOL!

Sunday, April 27

YIKES!!!!!!!

OK, I'll play.

Fri - Lil’ Buck Sinegal Blues Band
Sat - Davell Crawford
Sun - John Boutte

The first two are acts I've only seen once or twice and rarely tour. The last I've seen many times, but, oh that voice.

If we happen to run into each other, I'll share my story.
If you see the 3-peas-in-a-pod flag/windsock flying, come on over and say hi.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 8:36 pm
Original Poster

John Boutte is one of the reasons for my "Yikes" on Sunday. Sooooooo many good performers that day.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 10:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FLYMSY

Friday, April 25

Saturday, April 26

Sunday, April 27

YIKES!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by swag
OK, I'll play.

Fri - Lil’ Buck Sinegal Blues Band
Sat - Davell Crawford
Sun - John Boutte

The first two are acts I've only seen once or twice and rarely tour. The last I've seen many times, but, oh that voice.

If you see the 3-peas-in-a-pod flag/windsock flying, come on over and say hi.
This is, of course, an impossible exercise. I'll throw out a few:

Friday: Shamarr Allen. Always great. Sat in, together with Craig Klein of Bonerama, with Terrance Simien last night at the Rock 'n' Bowl (as he and Craig will for Terrance's set on Saturday at the Fais Do Do stage) and was awesome.

Saturday: Zachary Richard. Not positive, but Zachary may have been the very first performer I saw at my very first Fest in 1988. Also, the Buckwheat Zydeco tribute is not to be missed; I'm guessing it's going to be an incredibly moving show.

Sunday: Preservation Hall Jazz Band. What needs to be said about these guys? It is impossible to watch them and not feel happy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.