Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Who In The Crap Designed The New ATL International Terminal?????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2012, 8:19 am
Original Poster

We just went through the new International Terminal in Atlanta. What a poorly designed facility. First who wants to stand outside in 104 degree weather under a glass canopy with 90 humidity to check in. You can go inside but the checkin's are limited. Nice, real nice. Obviously the designers don't live in the South.

Also, you have to take a cattle car for an additional 10 minute ride to get there. And, then you have to taxi in the plane for what seems like 10 miles to get to a runway.

The real dozy is if you land on concourse E you have probably a 2 mile walk to Customs. Seriously, they had electric carts picking up people 6 or so at a time. A lot of people didn't want to ride, however they quickly changed their mind as they turned one corner, and then another and then another, each time staring at a looooong hallway ahead of them. One moving sidewalk on this whole journey. Everyone was complaining including employees who worked there. All I could figure is that it provided jobs for the 8 to 10 employees I saw standing at various points directing people which direction to go. If you haven't done this it is absolutely unbelievable.

They sure didn't mind wasting money on fancy tile and, glass walls with artwork. A more logical and ergonomic design would have saved millions of dollars. At least swap the crappy art for moving sidewalks. It honestly is to far, way to far, for elderly people to walk. Who approved this poor design????
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: DL DM
Thanks for the heads up. My first ATL intl experience was a few years ago when I had a bottle from duty-free in DXB and needed to re-check just to leave the airport, cost me 45 minutes as was the first arriving passenger for the day and nothing was set up.

Even on domestic connections you need to be a very fit person to make it through the long terminals with no moving walkways.

The new intl terminal sounds even worse.

I always try to avoid ATL connections. I am looking at connections in MEX for upcoming Central America travel, going with AM instead of DL. MEX is a quirky airport, far form perfect, but I rather enjoy it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.