Reload this Page >

24 Hours in Miami

24 Hours in Miami

Old Jul 20, 2012, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
24 Hours in Miami

Hi

I am off to Miami tomorrow and will have 24 hours between landing and getting back to MIA to fly upto ATL.

Ive looked at the web, and cant really find anything interesting to do. I do fancy going to a nice beach but only for an hour or 2

does anyone have any tips?

I will have a car so can drive, and will be staying in the Conrad in the business district

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 20, 2012, 11:21 am

Drive over to South Beach.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
A half-day in the South Beach area can be pleasant - park in the public garage at 13th Street and Collins, and you're just one short block from Ocean Drive and the sand. People-watch and/or eat, then head back to the mainland.

Not knowing your interests, it's hard to throw out suggestions, a couple might include the Merrick House in Coral Gables if you're interested in history (an easy drive from your hotel) - there's also a Miami Marlins baseball game at 07:10 pm in the new stadium.
Old Dec 9, 2012, 9:33 pm

Bumping this. We're taking a cruise, arriving back in Miami on the morning of Saturday the 22nd. Our flight back home doesn't depart until the morning of the 23rd, so we have a day to kill in Miami.

We have a day to kill and are not really sure what to do. While we enjoy beaches, we're not big on the party scene, so I don't know that a Miami-beach would be appropriate for us. We're more interesting in nice quiet scenery, good meals, and maybe something interesting to photograph.

Would a drive to Key West be worthwhile?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by MastaHanky
Bumping this. We're taking a cruise, arriving back in Miami on the morning of Saturday the 22nd. Our flight back home doesn't depart until the morning of the 23rd, so we have a day to kill in Miami.

We have a day to kill and are not really sure what to do. While we enjoy beaches, we're not big on the party scene, so I don't know that a Miami-beach would be appropriate for us. We're more interesting in nice quiet scenery, good meals, and maybe something interesting to photograph.

The drive to Key West would be too long for one day. You could try Haulover State Park Beach in North Miami, which might be less crowded than South Beach.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by MastaHanky

Key Biscayne may be worth a look....there are beaches/resturants/parks/miami seaquarium....Bill Baggs state park has a nice beach area with a lighthouse....

Here is a post, with some links, for more information about things to do in South Florida:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17567058-post7.html
Old Dec 11, 2012, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
Here is a post, with some links, for more information about things to do in South Florida:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17567058-post7.html
Thanks for that link - it didn't even occur to me to do an Everglades tour. I think that's what we'll end up doing. Both the airboat and tram tour look interesting - we'll have to see if we can squeeze both in.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by CokeandTaco
Key Biscayne http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17567058-post7.html[/URL]

+1 on the key Biscayne....there is an aquarium there.

across the water in Coral Gables from Key Bisacaine is a tropical botanical gardens

Farther south from there you have Biscayne National Park

http://www.nps.gov/bisc/index.htm

Everglades are to the west of Miami, I am sure there are day tours offered. The only issue there is that you may not be off the boat in time to do one of these.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I'm a fan of Key Biscayne, but I find the Seaquarium depressing. As for South Beach, it's a fine destination, even if you're not into the party scene. In fact, you can spend time in South Beach without even noticing the party scene unless you affirmatively seek it out. (I usually park in the public lot at Collins and 22nd, which provides access to the beach and an easy walk to Lincoln Rd.)

One interested in the arts scene should spend some time strolling around the Wynwood neighborhood (which was the subject of a nice article in the NYTimes this past Sunday). Grab a coffee from Panther or a nibble at Lester's and stroll around the neighborhood checking out the galleries, Wynwood Walls, and the other amazing graffiti art.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:34 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Bumping this again

I will be in Miami for most of a day, arriving off the AA redeye from SEA at 6:30am and heading back at 8:55pm (the things we do for MRs and status ). I plan to grab a shower in the Admirals Club upon arrival, thereafter I basically have a day to myself (it will be Monday). Ive been to Miami once before, a few years ago, staying in South Beach and visiting a few museums in Downtown, so am reasonably familiar with the basics.

I may well simply head for South Beach and do some hotel lobby hopping and have a stroll along the beachfront, but a recommendation for a good solo lunch spot would be most welcome, whether high end or more basic, but bearing in mind I have plenty of time and am not in a hurry.

I dont drive. Since my last visit, the Miami Transit direct link to MIA has opened, which I would prefer to taking a cab. What is the easiest way to use this to get to South Beach? I have no problem connecting to a bus, but recall that traffic between Downtown and South Beach can be heavy.

Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by daftboy
Bumping this again

I will be in Miami for most of a day, arriving off the AA redeye from SEA at 6:30am and heading back at 8:55pm (the things we do for MRs and status ). I plan to grab a shower in the Admirals Club upon arrival, thereafter I basically have a day to myself (it will be Monday). Ive been to Miami once before, a few years ago, staying in South Beach and visiting a few museums in Downtown, so am reasonably familiar with the basics.

I may well simply head for South Beach and do some hotel lobby hopping and have a stroll along the beachfront, but a recommendation for a good solo lunch spot would be most welcome, whether high end or more basic, but bearing in mind I have plenty of time and am not in a hurry.

I dont drive. Since my last visit, the Miami Transit direct link to MIA has opened, which I would prefer to taking a cab. What is the easiest way to use this to get to South Beach? I have no problem connecting to a bus, but recall that traffic between Downtown and South Beach can be heavy.

Thanks in advance!
By far the easiest and quickest way is still a cab. There is no direct public transportation to Miami.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 2:18 pm

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
By far the easiest and quickest way is still a cab. There is no direct public transportation to Miami.
Hmm, having read a little more that's become apparent...taxi it is I think.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:04 pm

There is a bus ($2.35) that goes MIA to South Beach

$2.35 AIRPORT FLYER bus service to South Beach
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...i_Florida.html

I just returned from 2-days in Miami, with rental car ($8/day, cheap), so you can do that too if you'd like
MIA is only 10-15 minutes away from Downtown/South Beach, in good traffic
Old Feb 6, 2013, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles, Flying Blue
I would forget South Beach, like most trendy, in-the-scene places, it usually disappoints. Very touristy and overpriced.

Fairchild Gardens, about 30 mins from MIA. A fantastic tropical garden, huge, scores of exotic tropical plants, fascinating stuff. Cycads, over a million years old, that were here with the dinosaurs.

After that, you are 10 mins from Coconut Grove and Coral Gables, some great nightlife and restos.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: aa
i think miami beach is awesome.Alot of good bars ,restaurants and condos you cant beat it for the price.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.