Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

MEM Memphis - air service problems

MEM Memphis - air service problems

Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Question MEM Memphis - air service problems

Would love to hear opinions, ideas, discussion about this city's service. It has always interested me. It seems to be too big for some things and not big enough for others.
Delta has downsized footprint there, plus closing pilot base. It always seemed to be not big enough for what Northwest had going at DTW and MSP. Apparently, Delta will stop the daily nonstop to AMS soon, relegating it to maybe 3 services per week. Historically, it had done well for Northwest. Apparently, only about 30 per cent of the load factor goes to locals, the other 70 hubbing in.
Now that Southwest has AirTran, I wonder if Southwest will do something additional to the feeder service provided by AirTran to ATL. I am sure that Delta has sky high fares from MEM. I would think that Southwest could provide several destinations at lower prices. Word has it that a fair number of originating MEM passengers go to Little Rock and take advantage of Southwest service there, just because of fare differences.
My understanding is that the metro population in MEM is about 1.3 million. It would seem that not many people must fly.
Ideas?
Old Apr 18, 2012, 4:37 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk!

seeing as Community Buzz is about Flyertalkers getting together & meetings, I'll transfer this to TravelBuzz forum for futher discussion.

willie
co-mod Community Buzz
Old Apr 18, 2012, 7:43 pm

My parents have lived in Memphis for 14 years, so I've flown in and out quite a bit. It's always been a very expensive city for flights. Many times I tried to convince them to drive to BNA to pick me up, and they have many friends who fly out of Little Rock or Nashville to take advantage of Southwest's lower fares. We were hopeful that the Air Tran/Southwest deal would bring lower fares to MEM.

They complain a lot about how service has gone downhill since the Delta-NW merger. Delta has cancelled tons of flights that NW used to operate out of Memphis, so now you have to go through ATL to get almost anywhere. My parents have several other friends who specifically retired in MEM to take advantage of the hub and nonstops to AMS, etc, and they are very unhappy now that Delta is getting rid of those flights.

And never check a bag if you fly into MEM. It will take 30+ min for it to arrive on the carousel.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:41 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

After the merger with Northwest, Delta found it had too many hubs, so it cut back at MEM and CVG since those hubs are close to ATL and DTW.

Many cities have been de-hubbed recently: Pittsburgh by US Airways, St. Louis by American, Dallas by Delta, and so on. I don't think MEM will lose its hub altogether any time soon, but it will continue to shrink.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone have any thoughts on Southwest having plans to give Memphis some expanded service?
I agree that Delta will maintain a presence of some kind there. I remember the 60s and early 70s, when Delta had an attendant base there with north-south traffic. Chicago and Detroit on the northern ends to New Orleans and Houston on the southern end, with Memphis in the middle. Stops at times in Saint Louis or Indianapolis or Jackson or Shreveport, plus flights to Atlanta and Kansas City. Eventually, it was phased out.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 8:16 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Sorry for another move, but since this query is specific to an airport/city, we'll move this to the more appropriate US-South forum for further discussion. Thanks! /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Apr 19, 2012, 4:19 pm

Programs: HH Gold , Priority Club , AAdvantage , Delta SkyMiles
Lga - mem $424 , Lga - bna $277 , fares like the bna fare used to be common to mem but not lately
Old Apr 19, 2012, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

To me, it would appear that Southwest has a perfect opportunity to do some expansion and grab some passengers.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Nashville to Memphis on megabus ?

Don't want to start another thread.

I am looking to go to MEM end of July for the Airliner international 2012 collectible show. THe show will be at Hilton Memphis, but fares from ORD-MEM is close to $600, whereas ORD-BNA is only around $200.

It seems like the only way for me to go from MEM to BNA is bus, which I take a look on megabus, it would only cost me $6 roundtrip for a 4 hours and 25 min trip.

I have never been to MEM, BNA, or even taken a bus trip in the US, does it sound possible or logical or safe to do this ?

So it would be like flying into BNA, then go to Commerce St b/t 5th Ave N and 4th Ave N (that is what it said for the bus stop), and it arrive at MATA North End Terminal, from there I have to find a way to go to Hilton Memphis.

Anyone familiar with BNA and MEM can point me to the right direction or if this is feasible at all ?
Old Jun 28, 2012, 12:20 pm

Memphis resident here..

Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
Don't want to start another thread.

I am looking to go to MEM end of July for the Airliner international 2012 collectible show. THe show will be at Hilton Memphis, but fares from ORD-MEM is close to $600, whereas ORD-BNA is only around $200.

It seems like the only way for me to go from MEM to BNA is bus, which I take a look on megabus, it would only cost me $6 roundtrip for a 4 hours and 25 min trip.

I have never been to MEM, BNA, or even taken a bus trip in the US, does it sound possible or logical or safe to do this ?

So it would be like flying into BNA, then go to Commerce St b/t 5th Ave N and 4th Ave N (that is what it said for the bus stop), and it arrive at MATA North End Terminal, from there I have to find a way to go to Hilton Memphis.

Anyone familiar with BNA and MEM can point me to the right direction or if this is feasible at all ?
I live here in MEM...

1st, Hilton Memphis if its the tower Hilton is NOT downtown...You would have to get a cab or something to get to East Memphis from the bus terminal. If you were downtown, we have a Trolley that you can catch from the North End Termial to the downtown hotels..

2nd When we drive MEM to Nashville, it takes 3+ hours, so that time isnt bad. But your problem is the Hotel location...

If I can help, ask more questions.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.