Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

MIA Miami Airport layover - what to do to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2011, 8:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, BA, DL, CO, UA, F9, AS, SPG, HHonors Gold, WN, Club Carlson Gold,

Looking at booking a trip which places us with a 10 hr. layover at Miami. With that time, we could rent a car and do something, but what? Thanks.

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 25, 2015 at 7:48 am Reason: Restore original post title
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta gm Spg gold hilton gold hyatt platinum hertz presidents avis presidential
The beach or parrot island or rent a boat by the bay
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:00 am

Programs: United 1K
Have you seen the latest in A Bourdain's "The Layover" on the Travel Channel? He's cruising a red convertible through a Miami layover... may have some foodie ideas there!
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:25 pm

Programs: AA:Lifetime Platinum; MR:Lifetime Titanium
The #150 bus to South Beach

Originally Posted by swdke
Looking at booking a trip which places us with a 10 hr. layover at Miami. With that time, we could rent a car and do something, but what? Thanks.
Right at MIA, there are public buses going all over the city but there is a special bus, the #150, which is an express bus to South Beach. It costs $2.50 per person and takes about 45 minutes to get to Miami Beach. You can get off the bus at Lincoln Road, walk to Ocean Drive and see the places which are central to the SB reputation as well as take in a swim on the beach.

Returning, the bus stops on Washington Avenue and, again, takes 45 minutes to get to MIA.

Agreed, not as glamorous as renting a convertible. Parking that beautiful car will take time & $.
Old Dec 23, 2011, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by uncle wiggily
Right at MIA, there are public buses going all over the city but there is a special bus, the #150, which is an express bus to South Beach. It costs $2.50 per person and takes about 45 minutes to get to Miami Beach. You can get off the bus at Lincoln Road, walk to Ocean Drive and see the places which are central to the SB reputation as well as take in a swim on the beach.

Returning, the bus stops on Washington Avenue and, again, takes 45 minutes to get to MIA.

Agreed, not as glamorous as renting a convertible. Parking that beautiful car will take time & $.
+1

I lived in MIA in 2001 and 2002. In SB you'll be able to see all of the places that you've seen on E. Depending on the weather, you may see several topless models and European FAs sunning.

Monte's was one of my regular hangouts.
http://www.montyssobe.com/

Joe's Stone Crab has awesome food.
http://www.joesstonecrab.com/

http://www.mangostropicalcafe.com/

http://www.clevelander.com/
Old Dec 23, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Emerald Club Exec Elite, Air-Kayaker (former United MP)
I grew up in Coral Gables

If i had 10 hrs to kill from MIA (assuming daytime hours), I would (in this order):

1. rent a car (forget the bus) there's more to see/do than South Beach.
2. go pick up some guava pastries and croquetas at La Rosa bakery, just west of LeJeune on Flagler.
3. drive downtown via Flagler or SW 8th Street, to Brickell (so you can see downtown Miami), then take Brickell north to MacArthur causeway to SB.

**this will be about the same amount of time as a bus, maybe a little longer but you get to sight-see on the way and you are in control of your agenda**

2hrs total from the time you get off the plane.

Note: either on the way to SB, or back, you are going to pass Bayside downtown a very nice outdoor mall/marina. (used to be the Miamarina)...grab a parking space and in the mall, find the Latin America (cuban restaurant) -- I prefer the original location on Coral Way, and when I am about to describe will take you right near there if you are handy with a GPS. **Have the Palomilla steak with black beans/rice and platanos. Or the Ropa Vieja** Finish with a dose of flan and a cafe con leche.

Once over the Causeway at SB, turn RIGHT and head directly to the southernmost point of SB. You will see Joe's and there is a Municipal parking lot, plus street parking all along Ocean Drive and even Washington street. there is also a large jetty/pier there (called Government Cut) which is where the ships leave/enter Port of Miami to the Atlantic. This is only 5 blocks south of 'the strip' you see on TV at Ocean Drive, which goes up to about 14th street.

4. Hit the beach for an hour or so, and maybe walk around Collins/Washington avenue shops. 2-3 hrs.

5. Walk or go get your car and drive up to Lincoln road mall -- have some lunch/dinner there and browse some shops/galleries (you just did that w/ #4, but Lincoln Road is pretty cool -- totally fixed up since I was a kid...but if i was wanting to see some of the city i would do 5a below.)

OR (2-3 hrs either way)

5a (my preference, esp if you are sightseeing): Head back over the causeway to Brickell and take it south to Coconut Grove...just before the grove take the Rickenbacker Causeway over to Key Biscayne/Crandon park. You might be able to rent a waverunner / sail a small hobie-cat in the bay, or fly a kite off the causeway looking back over the bay to the MIA skyline...lots of fun

6. Head back over the Rickenbacker to begin your way back to the Airport...but turn left (South again) onto Brickell to swing thru Coconut Grove to do it...might even have time to grab a bite if you need to.
just Follow Brickell basically back to LeJeune, and then turn right to take LeJeune back straight to MIA. This will take you thru the Gables, a beautiful town (actual slogan is "The City Beautiful") -- 30-40 mins but let's say 60 max.

back to MIA w/ time to spare for cleanup and a quick bite if needed.

7. Take me -- I'll make sure you hit all your marks! ;>

Hope this helps.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: First Class Flying
3 hour layover at MIA sufficient for dinner on South Beach?

I will be flying from PHL to MIA saturday june 16 in first class 12:55pm flight. When i arrive at MIA at 3:40pm there going to pick me up and going to have some dinner down at south beach. Later that night i have a 7:20 flight from MIA to SJU in first class. Is the time period from 3:40 to 7:20 enought to eat dinner and come back without any stress or anyhing? Any suggestions on security and arrival time changes?..
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:40 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
what day of the week?.....y'all should be able to eat in 2 hours, so its tight but doable...

edit to add.....what carrier?.....

mod alert sent re move to another forum....

Last edited by clacko; Jun 10, 2012 at 10:53 am
Old Jun 10, 2012, 3:08 pm

American airlines on a saturday
Old Jun 10, 2012, 6:04 pm
In Memoriam

what do your friends say?

you can time the trip to the beach & adjust the return time from meal....
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:25 pm
In Memoriam

after thinking some more, i wouldn't do it..

pick up at 4....30 min drive is 4:30....

for 7:20 departure, i would want to be moving before 6....

go somewhere near the airport....
Old Jun 11, 2012, 5:27 am

Thanks for the tips. My friend said he will be waiting there so let say we land at 3:40, wile i get in the car it will be 4:15 and at what time should i be back at the airport?
Old Jun 11, 2012, 6:31 pm
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by andresmorales153
Thanks for the tips. My friend said he will be waiting there so let say we land at 3:40, wile i get in the car it will be 4:15 and at what time should i be back at the airport?
i don't know what a safe time would be to get back to mia....
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:43 am

Programs: Hilton Gold; UA 3P; Cattle-Class on everything else.
9 hour layover @ MIA after red-eye: Options?

Hello all,

In November, we (2 adults + 2 kids) are flying in on a red-eye from the west-coast and arriving in MIA at around 9am. Then, we'll connect to the evening flight (530-ish) to Punta Cana, DR.

My kids are 9 & 5, and I'm thinking a little rest would be nice.

Can any of you suggest any options? - esp. because I'm not staying overnight - can I get a day-time hotel to lie down for a few hours, and then come back to the airport?

Any other options? BTW, I don't have access to any lounges etc...

Thanks in advance!

-G
Old Aug 16, 2012, 8:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage; HHonors; US Air Dividend Miles
buy the lounge access

Seriously ... Buy the lounge access for the day ... You'll burn needless time getting out of MIA and getting back in through security.

I like to walk MIA when I'm there ... Plenty to see, lots of aviation history if your kids are into that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.