Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

MIA Miami Airport layover - what to do to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MIA Miami Airport layover - what to do to?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2014, 8:39 am

Programs: AA & jetBlue
Certainly can be done. Lets say you get out at 7:10am and you want to be back at 11:00am that gives you almost 4 hours. Plenty of time but probably not worth it especially since getting to Miami Beach takes times. If you really want to get out of the airport get on the metrorail connect at government center to the metromover and go find a place to eat in the Brickell neighborhood. Not sure what places will be open at 8:30ish though.

But IMO I would just stay in MIA. Plenty of decent food options in the North Terminal.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 4:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
Long layover MIA - What to do to kill time?

We'll be arriving on an AA flight from EZE quite early on a Friday morning and then heading back to LHR early evening on the same day.

Any tips on what we should do during these hours?

1) Should we just stay at MIA and hang in the lounge for 10-12 hours or so?
2) Take a shuttle/train/taxi (or something else into Miami and if so where to)?
3) The secret FT option:____________ (fill in the blank)?

Neither of us has been to Miami before and we'll have our carry on bags with us of course. Is there a place we can leave these at the airport OR do we need to bring them with us?

We're in J from EZE-MIA and MIA-LHR if it makes any difference in getting out and back in to the airport time wise...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
The Premium Lounge in E is lovely, but doesn't open until 1pm.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:55 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver
To add: The flight out of MIA back to LHR is with BA...
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
If it were me, I would probably take the light rail into downtown and have a relaxing lunch at a place like Area 31. 10 hours in a airport, even at a nice lounge, seems boring to me (unless you need to work).

I'm not sure about bag storage. That may be an issue.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Take an Uber to South Beach and grab some lunch whilst doing a little people watching!
Old Sep 25, 2015, 7:41 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
As this is about MIA and the Miami destination and not an airline, it has been moved to the Florida forum.

/Moderator
Old May 8, 2016, 3:50 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hi,

I'll be having a roughly 5 hour layover next month, on a weekday. Not sure what to do, but I'm thinking Haitian food and Trader Joe's are on the list. A long walk would also do, preferably not near South Beach.

Thanks,
BmB
Old May 9, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Do you play golf? Go to Melreese. Go to the driving range or just play 9. The have a locker room with showers you can use too. I play there all the time, it's a surprisingly good public course.

Honestly even if you don't play golf it's a good breakfast spot where you can watch planes take off and land too
Old May 9, 2016, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by Madone59
Do you play golf? Go to Melreese. Go to the driving range or just play 9. The have a locker room with showers you can use too. I play there all the time, it's a surprisingly good public course.

Honestly even if you don't play golf it's a good breakfast spot where you can watch planes take off and land too
Thanks for your reply, Madone59. (Btw, have any advice re: El Centro-http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california/1764545-el-centro-salton-sea.html ?)

Nope, no golf, though a place to spot planes might be amusing for a bit.

I'm really looking for a Trader Joe's/local non-chain market at which I can buy a snack for the plane. Also, a long, shade-filled walk before said flight is also welcome.
Old May 10, 2016, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Only one TJs in Miami Dade county, in Pinecrest. By coincidence the Metrorail line from the airport area terminates across the street.

But .....

The train journey itself is about one hour each way, and you need more time each way to take the people mover to and from the airport to the station (train doesn't come into the airport proper).

Then you have to clear security. 5 hours is not enough time from a realistic standpoint.
Old May 11, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
Only one TJs in Miami Dade county, in Pinecrest. By coincidence the Metrorail line from the airport area terminates across the street.

But .....

The train journey itself is about one hour each way, and you need more time each way to take the people mover to and from the airport to the station (train doesn't come into the airport proper).

Then you have to clear security. 5 hours is not enough time from a realistic standpoint.
Thanks for your reply, Non-NonRev.

Good to know...the only food I really wanted to have was stone crab, but since it's not the season, I have no idea. Perhaps a visit to a market that highlights local specialties would do the trick...know of any?
Old May 11, 2016, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
(Btw, have any advice re: El Centro-http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/california/1764545-el-centro-salton-sea.html ?)
I saw that - wish I could help I'm not familiar with the route or the destination. Sorry.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Been asked by a friend what to do on a 5hrs layover in MIA:
arrival 1:15 p.m.
dept 6:10 p.m.
on a weekday
From what I understand it takes about 30 - 45 mins to get to South Beach, so that is probably not a viable option.
Is there maybe a nice hotel around/nearby the airport he could go to for a lunch? Maybe with some plane watching?
One more detail: he is visiting from overseas and his English language skills are limited.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 5:51 pm
NPF

Programs: AA / AV
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Been asked by a friend what to do on a 5hrs layover in MIA:
arrival 1:15 p.m.
dept 6:10 p.m.
on a weekday
From what I understand it takes about 30 - 45 mins to get to South Beach, so that is probably not a viable option.
Is there maybe a nice hotel around/nearby the airport he could go to for a lunch? Maybe with some plane watching?
One more detail: he is visiting from overseas and his English language skills are limited.
5h layover equals ±2h of free time if trying to get out of the airport. I wouldn't bother.

If he has access to a lounge, perhaps getting a shower (don't know trip details). Also, there are several decent places to eat and/or drink at the airport now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.