Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Hotel convinient for WDW, but not theme...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2011, 4:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN

Hi all.
I have to confess I am very confused about all the possibilities. I am looking for a nice hotel for 3-4 nights in November for 2 adults, no kids. We don't want to be necessarily in a Theme-hotel. It can be something outside, but with transports to the parks.
Pickup from the airport&packages with entrance tickets would be nice

Comfortable and clean rooms, normal priced (not lowest level, but does not have to be deluxe$$).
So far from the forums and some browsing the Swan seem to be a good option. What is your opinion?

I hope the experts here can recommend me some nice places to stay and options? What do you like or dislike?

Thanks in advance,
Wombelero
Old Aug 28, 2011, 6:34 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
The Yacht and Beach Club is a good possibility. I have never stayed there but have attended two conventions there and they have very nice facilities and several excellent restaurants. More ideas here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...o_Florida.html
Old Aug 28, 2011, 7:03 am

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Are you wanting to stay on-site at a Disney owned property? All of them have some sort of "theme" but can enhance the Disney experience. Any particular reason you don't want a themed hotel?

You may want to look at DISBOARDS if you are going to Disney.
http://www.disboards.com/
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Thank you for your answers. Actually, after having browsed for many hours now, I don't mind a themepark hotel. But I still can't decide

Looking at the SWAN at the moment and Yacht&Beach club. But I do have a special request:
We don't like A/C and would very much enjoy balcony.
And either walking distance or good shuttles to Disney and Universals.

Any good recommendation based on these two particular wishes?
W
Old Aug 29, 2011, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
When in Nov? The week in Nov that has Veteran's Day (Nov 11) also has a few days off from school in NJ - they call it NJ week in Disney and it may be difficult to get a room.

If you must have a balcony, the Swan and Dolphin hotels may not be your best choice. Not all rooms have them. Ditto for the Yacht and Beach Club (and particularly the Beach Club). All of these hotels are walking distance to Epcot.

What is your price range? Unfortunately, with Disney hotels, you will be paying a premium to be onsiste. For example, when staying at a deluxe hotel, you will pay 4-5 star prices and get a 3 star hotel experience

If you give us more information it will be much easier to offer suggestions. Where are you coming from? Do you plan to spend all your time in Disney Theme Parks? Are you interested in Universal Studios?

As well, 3-4 days is not even enough to see all the Disney theme parks. The resort is huge with many many things to do besides go to a theme park. You may want to consider a longer stay, if at Disney. Your time is perfect for Universal.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Wombelero
We don't like A/C and would very much enjoy balcony.
You can always turn the A/C (in your room) off.
Old Aug 29, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
I've stayed at Swan and Dolpin and walked to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. They're more cost effective than the resorts in that area, but obviously the resorts are really nice. THey do get you early/late entry to the parks (the extended hours for on property guests is a nice benefit) and they earn points if you are into hotel loyalty programs. You can pre-book a balcony guaranteed, it just costs more. Our view of the epcot fireworks from our resort view balcony room was obscured by the 6 story tall palm tree in front of our 5th floor balcony...

I apologize that I cant remember the name, but there was a nice reasonable golf villa resort just outside the park, just past the Hyatt that is near Downtown Disney. If you dont want to be on property, consider that.

Priceline in the area is also an option, though a bit unpredictable. You can end up with the Omni Championsgate which is very nice, but a bit too far away, or the Gaylord, which might be your cup of tea if you dont mind their theming style
Old Aug 29, 2011, 8:25 pm
DrG

Programs: UA 2P, SPG Gold, PC Plt Amb
I highly recommend the Waldorf Astoria Orlando for your visit. You can find rooms there in the sub-$200 range. Last time I stayed there, I was upgraded as HHonors Gold to a suite with balcony with an excellent view of the fireworks from all Disney parks. Amex FHR, Visa signature and Chase LHR collection also offer a free upgrade, breakfast, late checkout, etc.

The Swan and Dolphin are convenient for walking around the boardwalk and to Epcot / Hollywood studios. The Waldorf and Hilton Bonnet creek offer a frequent shuttle to the Disney attractions.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
All previous suggestions are valid. It really sounds like this area of the WDW resort is your best bet. In addition to the resorts that have already been mentioned, you should consider the Dolphin (sister hotel to the Swan) and Boardwalk, which is a wonderful Disney resort in that area that is themed to the old-time boardwalks of Atlantic City but is absolutely adult-friendly.
Old Sep 5, 2011, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Most of the hotels that have been recommended are classified as Premium resorts, even the Swan/Dolphin. These hotels are usually $300+, especially if you want a guaranteed balcony.

If that fits your budget, then my recommendations are Yacht/Beach or Boardwalk. Their location is perfect (walking distance between Epcot and Hollywood Studios) and they have great amenities.

If you book a Disney package, they will provide airport transportation. It's hit and miss with the other resort hotels. You can either take a cab or shared shuttle.

Plus, ONLY the Disney resorts will have any park ticket package. They also have a great and cost-effective meal plan. Everywhere else you go, you will pay full rate for tickets. The "Discount" tickets that you see are partially used tickets that have been purchased from previous guests and are illegal.

If your budget is less than $300, there are tons of moderate priced hotels in the area (even on Disney property).

Regarding time of the month. The Food and Wine festival goes until November 13th and is a great event at Epcot. The Christmas decorations start going up across property on the Friday/Saturday after Thanksgiving and is a great thing to see.

Have Fun
Old Sep 12, 2011, 9:09 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Priority Club, Emerald Club, Amtrak
Buena Vista Palace across the street from Downtown Disney is priced right, located right, and real nice. Even consider a one-bedroom suite.
The nearby Hilton at Downtown Disney can be had for like $100 per night. And there you get "Extra Magic Hours" access to the Disney Parks.
Both places have some extra cost: a resort fee at the Palace for parking and internet, and a parking fee at the Hilton. Both pretty much standard for the hotels mentioned so far in this thread.
Old Sep 23, 2011, 9:48 am

Being a Disney guru and have visited 18 times, I would recommend staying at Disney's Caribbean Beach Resort. It is prefect for adults. It has a relaxing atmospher. Lots of hammacks to lounge in. A great bar by the pool area. Here is a link to some great info and pictures of the resort. Room rates are around $119 to $150.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2495213
Old Oct 15, 2011, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Onsite Disney.. Fort Wilderness Cabins, are decently priced, and can hold up to 6 people per unit..

Otherwise, I would rent a condo at Vista Cay.. for the same rate as a hotel, you can get 2,000 sq ft plus units, with extra beds, couple of baths, granite kitchen, leather sofas..

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza on the executive lounge service level in October 08..

Last edited by cblaisd; Oct 20, 2011 at 3:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:59 am

The atrium view rooms at Gaylord Palms are really nice, and they have shuttle service. Off WDW property but closeby, 4 star+, $300 range and quite nice. Several restaurants and bars on site.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.