Wiki Posts
Search

Ask a Cast Member!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2011, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
We noticed another Ginger Bread House at Contemporary, a floor beneath the monorail.. while walking to catch the next monorail. Weird the escalators up to the monorail at Contemporary was clearly labelled, but the elevators were not.. so we ended up going up the regular elevators a floor, only resulting having to catch another elevator down.. moving over to the escalators, we couldn't go up because of the baby stroller, and a cast member ended up helping us to another set of elevators going up to the monorail.. Is this a 70's design?
The Contemporary was built in the 70's, so maybe it was 'Contemporary' for that time

Sounds like the Osborne lights are new to Hollywood Studios? I had the impression it may have been around for awhile.
Nope, it has been at Hollywood Studios (Formerly MGM Studios) since 1995.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 7:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by robtking
The Contemporary was built in the 70's, so maybe it was 'Contemporary' for that time

Nope, it has been at Hollywood Studios (Formerly MGM Studios) since 1995.
So curious RobTKing.. I knew a Rob King in my Grade 9 class Nickel Junior High in Calgary.. long shot, but you wouldn't be him? He wore glasses.

Anyways, how is the employment outlook at Disney lately? Have they been more hiring or firing nowadays?

I saw that DT Disney was cleaned up a bit.. didn't walk that far in, just wanted to go home and sleep. Looks like the Discovery Cove Part is being revamped.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

So curious RobTKing.. I knew a Rob King in my Grade 9 class Nickel Junior High in Calgary.. long shot, but you wouldn't be him? He wore glasses.
Nope, sorry

Anyways, how is the employment outlook at Disney lately? Have they been more hiring or firing nowadays?

I saw that DT Disney was cleaned up a bit.. didn't walk that far in, just wanted to go home and sleep. Looks like the Discovery Cove Part is being revamped.
Depends on division. No massive layoffs but prospective hires and transfers for their new resorts in Hawaii and the new resort in Orlando. DTD is lighter because of some massive renovations over the next year. And with the closer of clubs at Pleasure Islands, I suppose less cast is need. Still pretty active though!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by robtking
Nope, sorry

Depends on division. No massive layoffs but prospective hires and transfers for their new resorts in Hawaii and the new resort in Orlando. DTD is lighter because of some massive renovations over the next year. And with the closer of clubs at Pleasure Islands, I suppose less cast is need. Still pretty active though!
I heard the DVC is going to Hawaii.. I think Oahu if I'm not mistaken.. So what's going to be unique at the Disney Hawaii resort? We've been travelling to Hawaii annually for the past 8 years, and just booked our trip March break this year already. I imagine Mary2e would be interested since she frequents Oahu and Kuaui
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:13 am

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
http://resorts.disney.go.com/aulani-hawaii-resort/
Old Jan 18, 2011, 8:52 pm
Suspended

So looked into Aulani, rates, and DVC points.. I thought it was pretty expensive for Oahu. I get friends and family rates at Kea Lani and Orchid, and into a very nice Ocean View/Front Suite. To get into a decent Ocean View Suite, I calculated, need to spend $60K, and maintenance fees would be close to $2,300 US a year for a week. IMHO, I spend this much at the hotels I stay at, without having to shell out $60K, and get a nice one bedroom suite on Big Island and Maui. Maybe for a change of pace, if I can get a good deal on DVC points, or if there is less than retail promo.. and we've been talking about visiting Oahu.. we'll try Aulani. But even a good deal buying DVC points would be close to $4,500 for a week at Aulani with Ocean View plus taxes. So I dunno..
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: HHonors Silver, IHG Gold, AAdvantage. DL Skymiles
Obscure characters

This may sound strange, but have you ever seen any merchandise in the complex with Ludwig von Drake or J. Woodlore Audubon? They are my daughter's favorites, and I've never seen anywhere.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I haven't seen them anywhere either. Some characters aren't done, and some are done at certain times of the year. I managed to get a Jiminy Cricket stuffed animal around Christmas, and a Ms. Bunny animal around Easter. Both were purchased in a park.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 8:11 pm

C3P0

Somewhere in my photo box I have a pic of the kids with C3P0, and I think R2D2 is in it as well.

I've only ever seen them that one time....
Old Feb 23, 2011, 6:29 am

R2D2 and C3PO used to be around all the time in Hollywood Studios near the Star Wars ride. I haven't seen them in ages either.
Old Feb 27, 2011, 10:08 am
Suspended

No r2d2 or 3cpo. Did take in the attraction where they trained the kids to be fighters. My 5 year old was going to join. I think Darth Vader was there though
Old Mar 7, 2011, 9:46 pm
Original Poster

No r2d2 or 3cpo. Did take in the attraction where they trained the kids to be fighters. My 5 year old was going to join. I think Darth Vader was there though
Jedi Training Academy!

Sorry folks, been busy and havent had a chance to hop on here in a while!

Anything I can help with?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 5:38 am

Programs: Executive Club, Aeroplan
summer

Hi Rob

I was wondering about WDW during July, I have heard that there are so many people they stop admitting new visitors. Is this true.

I have two daughters 3 and 5 who are obsessed with Princesses. Contemporay is within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom, do you think the convenience is a good reason to stay there?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 10:18 am

The only day I've ever heard of them closing in July is Independence Day (july 4). If you're staying at a hotel on-site, you will still be admitted unless they reach the worst possible crowd level (rare occurrence).

I strongly recommend the Contemporary if you have young children and plan to spend most of your time at the Magic Kingdom. It's a quick easy walk to the park entrance.

Keep in mind that it will be brutally hot and humid in July. You should plan to return to your hotel in the afternoon and go to the pool and/or rest indoors. The parks are all open very late, so you can benefit from returning after dark when the crowds are lighter.

If you want to plan any activities with individual access to the princesses - START LOOKING FOR RESERVATIONS NOW. That includes all the meals and the Bibbidi Bobbity boutique.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by DroptheGloves
Hi Rob

I was wondering about WDW during July, I have heard that there are so many people they stop admitting new visitors. Is this true.

I have two daughters 3 and 5 who are obsessed with Princesses. Contemporay is within walking distance of the Magic Kingdom, do you think the convenience is a good reason to stay there?
My strong recommendation is to avoid July. People tell you it's hot, but that description cannot be understood until you live through it. The humidity is godawful. You are sweating before you can get 50 feet outside your hotel room.

We were there in mid-May once and my son almost fainted after an hour in the sun before noon.

In July, it's like you are walking through a pizza oven while someone hits you in the head repeatedly with a hammer. Unbelievable. Little kids have it even worse than adults.

No one ever takes my advice on this, but I notice they don't return in July/August either.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Mar 22, 2011 at 11:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.