Wiki Posts
Search

BMW will wine you and dine you - and teach you to drive

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2010, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
BMW will wine you and dine you - and teach you to drive

This may be one of the best kept secrets. BMW will wine you and dine you - and take you out on its private track with an instructor - if you pick up your car at the BMW factory in Spartanburg, S.C.

BMW Performance Center Delivery – Diesel Style

Wow, what an experience. While I had been to the BMW’s South Carolina outpost in the past for an M Driving School, and I was familiar with the setting for the delivery process, nothing prepared me for what was to come. As an alternative to the traditional new car delivery experience at a dealership, customers can specify delivery of a new BMW at the Performance Delivery Center. In our case, we were to pick up a new BMW X5 xDrive35d there.

For us, the experience started the day before our scheduled delivery, when we flew into the Greenville-Spartanburg, South Carolina Airport (GSP). Upon our arrival, we were promptly picked up by a new 5 Series GT and whisked back to the Marriott Greenville.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Has anyone done this?

I'm looking to order a BMW. I didn't realize they did pickup from SC; I've been to Munich several times and toured the plant there.

In looking at the location, it looks extremely close to the GSP airport. Would it be worthwhile to spend any time in that area before/after? I'd imagine I'd need to at least spend a night before.
I could fly nonstop to Charlotte, but in looking out a bit the flights to GSP are less.

Never been to SC, nor much of that part of the country, but if I'll be there I might as well do some exploring on the way back to the Austin area. Otherwise it looks like a fairly straightforward drive, the I-85 down to the I-20, which goes to the DFW area.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
Has anyone done this?
Yes indeed! See original post in this thread for one person's account and then ...

I did PCD in 2012, getting an X5d.

Originally Posted by aztimm
In looking at the location, it looks extremely close to the GSP airport. Would it be worthwhile to spend any time in that area before/after? I'd imagine I'd need to at least spend a night before.
Yes, you should fly into GSP because that's where the pickup would be to transfer you to the Marriott.

It's even better to combine European Delivery and PCD because then you get the ED experience and savings and then the PCD experience as icing on the cake for redelivery.

Feel free to ask me anything about either or both!
Old Dec 29, 2016, 5:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jspira
Yes indeed! See original post in this thread for one person's account and then ...

I did PCD in 2012, getting an X5d.

Yes, you should fly into GSP because that's where the pickup would be to transfer you to the Marriott.

It's even better to combine European Delivery and PCD because then you get the ED experience and savings and then the PCD experience as icing on the cake for redelivery.

Feel free to ask me anything about either or both!
Yes I read that story, thanks for posting.

I'd do the European delivery, but it isn't possible for the X5, since that is built in the US.

I'll probably send you a PM with more questions...
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:46 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
GSP to the BMW plant is less than 10 minutes drive. Greenville is a nice area. If you want to take your new car for a spin head up to Asheville, about an hour north, and take a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are some great overlooks - perfect for taking photos of your new wheels.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by FirstInFlight
GSP to the BMW plant is less than 10 minutes drive. Greenville is a nice area. If you want to take your new car for a spin head up to Asheville, about an hour north, and take a ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are some great overlooks - perfect for taking photos of your new wheels.
In 2008, PCD included airport transportation from Greenville to the hotel, then pick up at the hotel in the morning.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Greenville is a pleasant small city with some restored historic buildings, good restaurants, bookstores, a river/canal, and a park downtown. IIRC there's also a pedestrian zone, but this might have just been for special events. I stayed in the Westin right in the center which was an unusual property for the brand as it was located in a historic building. My small suite was quirky but fine.

Don't miss the BMW museum of course and try to do a factory tour.
Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gig103
In 2008, PCD included airport transportation from Greenville to the hotel, then pick up at the hotel in the morning.
I am fairly certain this is still the case.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by jspira
I am fairly certain this is still the case.
It included transportation from GSP 2 weeks ago when I did it. Plus the BMW and driver dropped me off in town so I could explore. For the trip back, I had to slum it in the normal hotel shuttle van--with others

Unfortunately, the factory tour has been on hold for several months, and looks like it will be again, while they are developing the new SUV (what most are calling the X7).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.