Wiki Posts
Search

Miami airport - Tri Rail connect question

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: USA Dividend miles soon to be AAdvantage
Miami airport - Tri Rail connect question

Hopefully this is where I should ask this question as it is does not fit criteria of any other heading.
I will be flying into Miami airport and taking the Tri Rail train to West Palm. I am flying TA (FRA-MIA) and have no experience with this train system. I know only that it is very close to the airport but on the other side of a very busy intersection. Is there shuttle bus service available from the airport to the train station? If so, where can I get detailed information as to where it is located (in relation to the international arrivals), the schedule (of the shuttle) and the cost? Or should I call Tri Rail. (this information I have not been able to locate on their website.)

Wish there were more train service throughout Florida (and other states!) I miss the German train system when I go to the USA.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:44 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i can give you some information as goalie-parents use it all the time. they live in sf but have a place in pbi and have found that flying into/out of mia and using tri-rail very convenient (and iirc, it takes about 90 minutes).

there is a shuttle from the terminals to the station as i know my folks have taken it and i could find this from the mia airport website (http://www.miami-airport.com/bus_and_rail_info.asp)

i know it's not much but i'm also gonna ask one of the moderators to move this to the florida forum for perhaps better exposure and advice

Tri-Rail:
The Commuter Train service, runs along Interstate 95, providing commuter service to the airport from Broward and Palm Beach Counties. The Airport Station is immediately east of the airport, across Le Jeune Road (42 Avenue) on NW 21st Street. Bus connections to the Tri-Rail Airport Station are available from the bus station. Metrobus also provides free shuttle bus service to the airport terminal for passengers with a valid Tri-Rail ticket. For additional information call 1-800-TRI-RAIL, from anywhere in the state of Florida, or visit www.tri-rail.com.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by goalie
i know it's not much but i'm also gonna ask one of the moderators to move this to the florida forum for perhaps better exposure and advice
Florida forum? There's a Florida forum?
Well, that is very cool!
Old Jul 31, 2010, 11:30 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
And we'll move this to the Florida forum straight-away. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.
Old Jul 31, 2010, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

If my flight arrives at 14:10 in MIA will I be able to get my bags, go through customs and connect with the 3:30 shuttle bus to the train station?

Within the Miami Airport, are there moving walk-ways between terminals? I am just wondering how much time it will take me to move from Terminal J to the shuttle bus location, purchase a ticket and get on that 3:30 bus.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: AA GLD
Providing your flight is on time, and there is no holdup at customs, and you hustle, you should have no problem making the 3.30 shuttle.

The bus station where you pick up the shuttle is outside Terminal E. I heard they were going to build another bus station at J as well but not sure if that is in effect yet.

The Tri-Rail is well signposted within the airport and you should have no problem finding it. You can either buy your tickets from a vending machine (very quick) or from a representative.
Old Aug 1, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
[tongue-in-cheek] I don't think many Floridians know that the train exists, much less have they used it!
Old Aug 3, 2010, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Tri-Rail is primarily a weekday commuter service, but of course tourists and leisure riders are welcome as well.

The shuttle stop that I know and use is, as states by blondeterp, on the lower level, across the roadway from the exit from Terminal E.

There are moving sidewalks, however, they are located landside on the upper level (one floor up from departures). From the main level, you would take an elevator up to the corridor containing the moving sidewalks, then take an elevator down to the lower level once you reach "E".

AFAIK, tickets are NOT sold at the airport - they are sold at the ticket booth that is adjacent to the rail tracks (I welcome correction if there is an on-airport ticket selling location).

Be aware that, due to traffic, the shuttles sometimes run late. Last February, the shuttle was 10 minutes late - we arrived at the tracks 120 seconds before scheduled departure - and I still had to buy a ticket. Thankfully, no one was in line at the ticket booth, so I bought my ticket and dragged my bags on board the train - we departed exactly 20 seconds later!
Old Aug 6, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: AA GLD
You can buy your ticket inside the airport station, there is a vending machine there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.