Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Eat/do near Orange County Convention Center?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

As discussed in a related thread, I'm attending a meeting at the Convention Center for a few nights next year. I'll not have a car but intend to be staying local to I Drive and so will have access to the I Ride for the duration.

I anticipate I will have a a couple of hours on a few evenings free to explore; not long enough to justify a Park ticket for the major attractions, but I'd be interested in any suggestions of things worth doing to kill time rather than sitting around in the hotel. Malls are an option but I'm sure there must be better things to do!

Also, suggestions for local eateries would be welcome; nothing too extravagant ideally (<$30 for dinner around the I Drive area, <$15-ish for lunch local to the Convention Center).

Thanks in advance.
Old Oct 14, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL, US Air, AA, HH Diamond
Lots of options!

The good thing about I-Drive is that you have everything you need at your fingertips. Do you know which hotel you will be staying at? I-Drive is a long road, and the things to do vary greatly from one end to the other.

If you're staying in walking distance to the Convention Center, you're also in walking distance to everything else.

One of my favorite spots is Cafe Tu Tu Tango. Great tapas restaurant with funky artsy decor. I'm also partial to Kobe, a Japanese steakhouse, across the street from Tu Tu Tango. If you can't decide what to eat, but want a cheap adult beverage, Miller's Ale House has anything and everything on the menu. It's a FL franchise sports type bar. They have two huge bars, one inside and one patio bar. Last but not least - my favorite place to drink on I-Drive is Bahama Breeze. Yes, it's a chain, but I'm a sucker for the BahamaRitas and sitting outside listening to the calypso band play.

Pointe Orlando is an outdoor type mall located on I-Drive, but I really haven't been there in a while, so I can't comment on what stores there are to choose from. I would however, suggest you spend a few hours at Wonderworks. No matter what your age, it's a fun place to go and see science in action. You can't miss it - it's the upside down building.

If you need any other suggestions, let me know. I spend about 3 or 4 nights a month down in that area, so I'm pretty comfortable recommending all sorts of things.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 3:19 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions; please do keep them coming! I'll eat pretty much anything but do appreciate a change from the normal run of the mill stuff some of the time so your suggestions so far are spot on.

I'll be staying on Universal Boulevard, but pretty much only just around the corner from Tu Tu Tango. Regardless, I'm happy to ride the I-Ride to explore the area if anything is worth going that bit further for.....
Old Nov 28, 2010, 9:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
There is some updated information here http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/11/28...tml?ref=travel.
Old Dec 1, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL
About a a mile and half up the road north (8371 International Dr to be exact) is Boston Lobster Feast, a WONDERFUL seafood buffet! It's about 35 bucks a person but it's all you can eat lobster bisque, lobster, and all the expensive stuff. Not bad for Orlando and delicious. Link to site
Old Dec 1, 2010, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by robtking
About a a mile and half up the road north (8371 International Dr to be exact) is Boston Lobster Feast, a WONDERFUL seafood buffet! It's about 35 bucks a person but it's all you can eat lobster bisque, lobster, and all the expensive stuff. Not bad for Orlando and delicious. Link to site
I haven't eaten here but walked into it and checked out the spread.. seems like really good value compared to onsite DW restaurants. mmm.. lobster.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.