Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Orleans restaurants -- recent reviews and recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by CMK10
Thanks to both njxbean and swag. We are actually going the weekend of May 20th so that won't be an issue. Dante's looks good too AND open on Sunday so I'm going to have to add that to our list.
You wont be dissapointed. Dante's is that good!

Also so far this week i have been to:

McClure's BBQ - pop up lunch spot inside Dante's from 11:30 - 1:30pm(M-F). Excellent BBQ.

Cuchon Buthcer - man this place is excellent. Get the bacon melt or pork belly sandwich and be sure to try the hot sauce

A Mano- Solid italian restaurant. and this is coming from someone from Jersey!

K-Paul - best meal of the week thus far. A must visit for the Blackened Drum Chicken. Or get the surf and turf where they toss in a piece of blackened beef filet as well.

Up next: Coops, Irene's, Dante's, Lil Dizzys, McClures(yes again!)
Old Feb 11, 2012, 3:34 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, RC/Marriot Platinum, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Platinum
Galatoire's or Commander's Palace. Bring a coat and tie.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by njxbean
My favorite restaurant in all of the USA is Dante's on NOLA.
Wow, that's quite a statement! I think that Dante's is an excellent restaurant, probably better than the others on your list (save for Commander's when accompanied by a regular), but wouldn't go so far as to say it's the best in NOLA (let alone the USA!). Have you been to any of NOLA's other finer dining establishments? Brigtsen's, across the street from Dante's (which may be my favorite NOLA restaurant), or Stella, or August, just to name a few?

(And just to reiterate: I'm not at all trying to put down Dante's. I've enjoyed every meal I've ever had there, and happily will go again. I just don't think of it as NOLA's best restaurant.)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 5:46 pm

I have to agree with Blumie. Dante's is very good and I've enjoyed all of my meals there and will go back. However, it is not the "best" restaurant in New Orleans. In fact, I'm not sure there is a "best" restaurant here because we have so many excellent ones.

I can name several restaurants within 10 minutes or less of Dante's that are equal or better. Brigtsen's, Boucherie, Gautreau's, Martinique, Bistro Daisy, La Petite Grocery....

And, for those who want to try some new ones that have just opened in the past year, although more casual than the above, here is a little lagniappe: Cowbell, Tru Burger, High Hat Cafe, Fat Hen Grocery, Ancora. All of these are no more than 15 minutes from Dante's.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Lifetime PLT
i stand by my statement. granted i haven't been to every restaurant in NOLA. But it still holds up as my favorite. But i look forward to trying those ones that you recommended!
Old May 23, 2012, 3:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
While in New Orleans last weekend my Dad and I decided to have dinner at Acme Oyster House in the French Quarter as it was open Sunday and the menu had oysters, oysters, oysters! However, when we got there, it had a giant line out front to get seated, this at 8 PM on a Sunday!

We went across the street to Felix's Oyster House which had the exact same menu and ended up being really good. He had a dozen oysters and a trio of red beans and rice, gumbo and etouffee that was all very good and I had fried crawfish tails and soft shell crab that was just excellent. Their bread pudding was also fantastic and my only knock on the place was that they didn't have Glenlivet. But no one's perfect, right?
Old May 23, 2012, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by njxbean

McClure's BBQ - pop up lunch spot inside Dante's from 11:30 - 1:30pm(M-F). Excellent BBQ.
Gone! Go to his website to find out where he will pop-up next.

mccluresbarbeque.com

While in New Orleans last weekend my Dad and I decided to have dinner at Acme Oyster House in the French Quarter as it was open Sunday and the menu had oysters, oysters, oysters! However, when we got there, it had a giant line out front to get seated, this at 8 PM on a Sunday!

We went across the street to Felix's Oyster House which had the exact same menu and ended up being really good. He had a dozen oysters and a trio of red beans and rice, gumbo and etouffee that was all very good and I had fried crawfish tails and soft shell crab that was just excellent. Their bread pudding was also fantastic and my only knock on the place was that they didn't have Glenlivet. But no one's perfect, right?
Next time you're down there, you might want to try Drago's restaurant in the Hilton Hotel on Poydras St. It is the newer branch of the original in the suburbs (Metairie). The charbroiled oysters are delicious.

dragosrestaurant.com
Old May 23, 2012, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD

What all those tourists in line at Acme don't know is that you don't need to wait in line to sit at the oyster bar (which is far more fun than sitting at a table in any event). Just walk inside, make contact with one of the oyster shuckers, and let him know you're looking for seats. He'll take care of you.
Old May 23, 2012, 5:09 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Next time you're down there, you might want to try Drago's restaurant in the Hilton Hotel on Poydras St. It is the newer branch of the original in the suburbs (Metairie). The charbroiled oysters are delicious.

dragosrestaurant.com
Our attendant on the train we took to N.O. said the same thing, now that I know it's Flyertalk approved I'll be there next time!
Old May 23, 2012, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Gone! Go to his website to find out where he will pop-up next.

mccluresbarbeque.com

dragosrestaurant.com
The line at Acme seems to be present no matter what day or time. For BBQ or grilled oysters, I agree that Felix's is a good and usually much quicker option. I haven't been too impressed with the other cooked offerings at Felix's, ok but not great. I concur with that Drago's is top pick for chargrilled, and it rarely has much of a wait if you hit it during non-peak hours.

I stumbled on McClure's BBQ one night during Jazzfest, out on the patio at the Rusty Nail. I had some smoked chicken wings that were excellent and insanely cheap.

We also visited Borgne one night, John Besh's latest endeavor located in the rebuilt Hyatt downtown. The food was excellent, but the place was very, very loud, and not in a good way. It wasn't big parties at the bar, just terrible acoustics that meant almost shouting to be heard by my table-mate.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Some friends of mine are going to New Orleans end of the year. They've been before & have found a number of restaurants for dinner (although I'm going to send them a link to this thread), but they said they haven't found a place that does a great breakfast in New Orleans. Does anyone have any recommendations? It doesn't necessarily have to be in the tourist section, as they mentioned they've been exploring different neighborhoods each time they go.

Cheers.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 9:45 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Some friends of mine are going to New Orleans end of the year. They've been before & have found a number of restaurants for dinner (although I'm going to send them a link to this thread), but they said they haven't found a place that does a great breakfast in New Orleans. Does anyone have any recommendations? It doesn't necessarily have to be in the tourist section, as they mentioned they've been exploring different neighborhoods each time they go.

Cheers.

Oceana right off Bourbon serves the old Petunia's breakfast menu... It is our favorite, especially the French toast ( actually made with French bread).
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock

Cheers.
Not sure what defines a "great" breakfast, but here goes:

Surrey's Café 2 locations, Lower Garden District and Uptown. Both on Magazine St.

New Orleans Cake Café located in The Marigny area on Chartres St.

Refuel located in Uptown

Camellia Grill Uptown

Coulis Uptown

Satsuma Café. In Bywater, but just opened a new outpost in Uptown

Slim Goodies Garden District

Ruby Slipper Café I like the one in Mid-City

Oak Street Café Uptown

High Hat Café Uptown

Blue Plate Café Lower Garden District

This should do for starters as there are many other choices. Let me know if you need any other info.

Last edited by FLYMSY; May 16, 2013 at 5:22 pm
Old Sep 16, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Just had breakfast at Elizabeth's in Bywater. Excellent. Praline bacon, fried grit cakes, boudin balls, callas, duck waffle, etc.

http://www.elizabethsrestaurantnola.com/
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks everyone! I'm going to forward my friends a link to this thread & your suggestions re: breakfast. Plus there may be some dinner places they haven't been to yet in the thread.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.