Search

Brazil visa question -- in transit through GRU

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC, BA, DL, AA, JL
Question Brazil visa question -- in transit through GRU

Folks, I write to ask a couple of questions of you:
  1. If I am passing through Brazil in transit only at GRU, and I do not leave the airport, do I need a visa of any sort (even if it is a transit visa) if I use my Canadian passport?
  2. If I do need a visa should I use my Canadian passport, may I present my Irish passport at GRU to avoid the visa hassle? (I am a citizen of both Ireland and Canada.)

Thank you for your replies,
Maclock
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:40 am

Programs: KL/AF Platinum
Pls search before posting

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...on-flight.html
Old Jan 12, 2009, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hardiwv
Please accept my apologies for this oversight. I would have seen that thread if this website didn't by default limit the initial display of postings to only those made in the last 14 days. When I see a short list like the one that presented on the South America board today, I think that there's almost no activity on the board, forgetting, of course, that only postings from the last 14 days are being displayed.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:11 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
With the Irish passport you would not need a visa anyway.
Old Jan 12, 2009, 2:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neuromancer
With the Irish passport you would not need a visa anyway.
Yes, I know, but some countries are rather fussy about the passport-carrying nationals of one country (in this case, Canada) using the passport of another country (in this case, Ireland) to enter/transit through. It used to be illegal (and may well still be in some countries) to enter certain countries with two passports. I'm not saying that was ever or is the case with Brazil, but I'd hate to get in a spot of bother with immigration at GRU.
Old Jan 18, 2009, 11:32 am

Programs: TAM, BA, LH, DL
Altought I do not believe you will have to go through immigration, use the Irish passport to be on the safe side.
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Maclock
  1. If I am passing through Brazil in transit only at GRU, and I do not leave the airport, do I need a visa of any sort (even if it is a transit visa) if I use my Canadian passport?
Just transiting two weeks ago thru GRU with 6-hour layover to EZE. You won't be passing thru immigration for your connection so a visa is not needed to transit if you don't leave the airport.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ilovetofly

Just transiting two weeks ago thru GRU with 6-hour layover to EZE. You won't be passing thru immigration for your connection so a visa is not needed to transit if you don't leave the airport.

We are thinknig of flying Buenos Aires, GRU - Caracas next week and do not have a Visa.

We should be OK you feel? Only 3 or 4 hours connex each way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.