Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Best/quickest way to get to Machu Picchu?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best/quickest way to get to Machu Picchu?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:25 am

Programs: AA, DL
I will be in Machu Picchu 1 month from today! I am very excited and still a little nervous. Any new expierences to share from anyone down there recently.

Thanks!

Old Apr 29, 2010, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, until they get the tracks fixed and allow trains from Ollantaytambo (and Cusco), the current set-up is a bit of a pain in the neck. The last 25-30 minutes of the drive to the temporary station at Piscacucho is on a one-lane dirt & gravel road. As such, traffic flow is controlled and there are set times for vehicles to head TO the station and FROM the station. These timings didn't always coincide well with the train schedules; for example, we arrived back from M-P at 7pm but the schedule for outgoing traffic didn't begin until 8pm (though they started letting people through about 7:45pm). Just keep this in mind when arranging travel to/from Piscacucho.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 10:15 am

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Anyone ever tried to do 'stand by' on a PeruRail train to MP? My friend and I are going in a few weeks from Ollantaytambo and he has a Backpacker ticket for 12:51pm but I can't get one on the same train. Would it be possible for me to buy a Vistadome ticket for 16:15 (and $10 more) and then just get on his Backpacker train instead? Or better yet could I buy the 18.15 Backpacker ticket and get on his train? Any ideas?

UPDATE: more seats opened up on my friend's train so I got my ticket and we're all set. MP in 3 weeks!!!

Last edited by malcolmkettering; Jul 20, 2010 at 11:53 pm Reason: UPDATE
Old Jul 19, 2010, 10:55 am

Programs: UA, AA, Marriott, National, Sixt
Any cheap fares from LIM to CUZ??? Anyone book those yet?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 6:59 am

Updates

Looks like an old, but good thread. Any updates I should know about? Trains, hotels, etc? Planning a 4 day itinerary to MP. I can use both AA and BA miles. Don't see a lot in the way of CUZ > LIM. Chances are I may have to call.

Online, I was able to find RDU <> LIM flights, but none from LIM > CUZ. Is that merely because AA doesn't fly that route? Checked BA online and found only LIM > CUZ availability. Would be nice if I could do the whole trip on BA, but RDU isn't one of the cities BA flys out of.

What do you all recommend? Phoning and hoping to get phone-in fee waived?
Old Jul 14, 2017, 6:36 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Looks like an old, but good thread. Any updates I should know about? Trains, hotels, etc? Planning a 4 day itinerary to MP. I can use both AA and BA miles. Don't see a lot in the way of CUZ > LIM. Chances are I may have to call.

Online, I was able to find RDU <> LIM flights, but none from LIM > CUZ. Is that merely because AA doesn't fly that route? Checked BA online and found only LIM > CUZ availability. Would be nice if I could do the whole trip on BA, but RDU isn't one of the cities BA flys out of.

What do you all recommend? Phoning and hoping to get phone-in fee waived?
AA doesn't fly LIM-CUZ - LA does, but LA awards don't show up on AA.com. AA does waive the phone fee for awards that aren't bookable online. I'm not aware of any other AA or BA partner that services CUZ besides LA.

BA.com does show LA award availability (although I've sometimes come across phantom availability with LA) as well as AA, of course. With BAEC a redemption RDU-CUZ it would be a mixed-partner award since LA doesn't fly to RDU, and mixed awards cost an arm and leg worth of Avios.

Even if BA serviced RDU, the only BA service to LIM is a non-daily flight from LGW.

However there are plenty of daily flights between LIM and CUZ, mainly with LA and AV but there may be a LCC or two also. The cash cost is usually very reasonable so you may find it easier to just buy that leg separately, allowing sufficient buffer time in between of course.

Last edited by 84fiero; Jul 14, 2017 at 6:52 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.