Reload this Page >

Medellin with kids, for 5-6 days?

Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion

Any ideas for a 5 day itinerary in Medellin with kids (11 and 4)? Are we insane to consider it? I was playing with the Google Flights "explore map" and found good fares with decent timing to MDE and we're looking at a trip between Christmas and New Year's Day.

I'm blown away by how cool the city looks and by the AirBnB prices for very nice places in Poblado. Part of me is fascinated that a city that had such a terrifying reputation a few decades ago seems like such a nice place to visit today.

Is 5 days too long in Medellin? With the 4 year old I think an extra set of flights to go elsewhere in the middle of a 6 day trip is probably too big of a PITA to be worth it.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 8:47 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
5 days is a bit of a stretch for Medelln but possible to keep you busy

Have a look around the centre, Parque Botero, get the Metro to Santo Domingo and you can even carry on to Parque Arv. That's potentially 2 days

Do the Botanical Garden and Parque Explora. They are next to each other

Do a day trip to Guatap and El Pen

Do another day trip to Santa F de Antioquia and Puente del Occidente

El Poblado is a bit "adult" but plenty of cool eats during the day and it's a nice neighbourhood
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I live near Medellin, and I really love it, but it's more a lifestyle place than something with a lot of tourist attractions. The advice from JohnnyColombia is spot on. You definitely want to book some day trips out of the city, as the countryside around the city is beautiful and mountainous. Note - Guatap and El Pel is a good choice, and we always take visitors there, but do spell it as Pel, not Pen. I also recommend the Medellin zoo.

One place you might enjoy with your kids is Tutucn, which is an amusement/ecological/water park in Rionegro. Here is the website:

http://www.comfama.com/contenidos/se...-familiar.html

We have kids in the same age range, and they love going there. It's not anything huge and fancy like a 6 Flags, but there is plenty to do for a day.

You might want to consider a few days in Medellin and a couple of days in the Rionegro/Llanogrande area. You have to pass through Rionegro on your way to Guatape anyway.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:31 am
Community Director Emerita

By any chance, can you get a similar fare to Cartagena? We've been to both. Medellin was great for a day. Cartagena was great for several days.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by coolcoil
I live near Medellin, and I really love it, but it's more a lifestyle place than something with a lot of tourist attractions. The advice from JohnnyColombia is spot on. You definitely want to book some day trips out of the city, as the countryside around the city is beautiful and mountainous. Note - Guatap and El Pel is a good choice, and we always take visitors there, but do spell it as Pel, not Pen. I also recommend the Medellin zoo.

One place you might enjoy with your kids is Tutucn, which is an amusement/ecological/water park in Rionegro. Here is the website:

http://www.comfama.com/contenidos/se...-familiar.html

We have kids in the same age range, and they love going there. It's not anything huge and fancy like a 6 Flags, but there is plenty to do for a day.

You might want to consider a few days in Medellin and a couple of days in the Rionegro/Llanogrande area. You have to pass through Rionegro on your way to Guatape anyway.
Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
5 days is a bit of a stretch for Medelln but possible to keep you busy

Have a look around the centre, Parque Botero, get the Metro to Santo Domingo and you can even carry on to Parque Arv. That's potentially 2 days

Do the Botanical Garden and Parque Explora. They are next to each other

Do a day trip to Guatap and El Pen

Do another day trip to Santa F de Antioquia and Puente del Occidente

El Poblado is a bit "adult" but plenty of cool eats during the day and it's a nice neighbourhood
I appreciate the advice. We will definitely take day trips out of the valley if we do take this trip. The fact that it's a "lifestyle" place and not necessarily full of tourist spots is a plus rather than a minus in my opinion. As long as there are some things to do.

I do appreciate the suggestions!
Old Jun 19, 2017, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
By any chance, can you get a similar fare to Cartagena? We've been to both. Medellin was great for a day. Cartagena was great for several days.
Though we live in Florida, my wife hates hot humid weather. That's my biggest concern with Cartagena. I think we'll be happier spending our days in the mountains.

I did look into Cartagena, and I appreciate the suggestion!
Old Jun 20, 2017, 2:52 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by coolcoil
Note - Guatap and El Pel is a good choice, and we always take visitors there, but do spell it as Pel, not Pen.
I thought you were better than this coolcoil

El Pen [de Guatap] is the name of the large rock with steps up the side. One of Antioquia's best tourist attractions.

El Pel is the completely sucky little town the other side of the rock that you will drive through on the way from Medelln but should neither stop in nor visit because it is rubbish.

My original comment was correct. The editor of Colombia Reports also told me this was wrong on our website and I had to correct him too.

You may apologise by sending me a cheese filled arepa

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.