Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Help with tour Santiago to Valparaiso

Help with tour Santiago to Valparaiso

Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Efrem
In that case, you might ask your driver to include a quick look at Viña del Mar.
If you plan on spending two nights out there, I highly recommend that you lodge in Viña and take transit to Valpo. There's a rail line, and also, you can take colectivos or taxis. They are very close. I'd much rather wander around Viña at night (safety, quality of accommodation).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
If you plan on spending two nights out there, I highly recommend that you lodge in Viña and take transit to Valpo. There's a rail line, and also, you can take colectivos or taxis. They are very close. I'd much rather wander around Viña at night (safety, quality of accommodation).
I concur. There is a lovely Sheraton there where every room has a view of the ocean. A block or two from the Floral clock. Very handy. And the "rail line" is a light rail line between Viña and Valpo. I think it's 4 stops from the stop near the clock to the Historic areas of Valpo. Took 15 or 20 minutes, no longer.
IIRC, it cost about $1USD each way.

Plenty to see in Viña at night and I felt very safe walking to and from dinner by myself at night.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 466SHH
I concur. There is a lovely Sheraton there where every room has a view of the ocean. A block or two from the Floral clock. Very handy.
Thanks 466 and EastBay1K - we just booked at that Sheraton in Vina for the final four nights of our trip to Chile in March. I couldn't tell from the photos and the map how far it was to walk to restaurants and the town; was afraid it was a bit isolated based on the photos. Are there sidewalks or paths to walk along? [ON EDIT - answered my own question with the miracle of Google Street View and satellite photos. Yes, there are sidewalks and paths!]

We're planning to do one day of exploring Vina and Valpo and two days of winery tours inland from Vina. We assume the hotel Concierge will have options and we'll also look at the usual sites for ideas but curious whether you have particular recommendations for tour companies or drivers?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!

Last edited by Brucemcdou; Jan 19, 2017 at 5:53 pm
Old Jan 19, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by Brucemcdou
Thanks 466 and EastBay1K - we just booked at that Sheraton in Vina for the final four nights of our trip to Chile in March. I couldn't tell from the photos and the map how far it was to walk to restaurants and the town; was afraid it was a bit isolated based on the photos. Are there sidewalks or paths to walk along? [ON EDIT - answered my own question with the miracle of Google Street View and satellite photos. Yes, there are sidewalks and paths!]

We're planning to do one day of exploring Vina and Valpo and two days of winery tours inland from Vina. We assume the hotel Concierge will have options and we'll also look at the usual sites for ideas but curious whether you have particular recommendations for tour companies or drivers?

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions!
I found the front desk staff very helpful with suggestions for things to do and places to eat in both Vina and Valpo. Maybe it is because they are fairly young and they all wanted to come to the US to visit some time. Also, I was traveling by myself on vacation. That often makes the staff more chatty than if I have the family with me. I don't remember the concierge, frankly. But the kids at the front desk were amazing.

You are correct, there are plenty of sidewalks. And the hotel is not really as isolated as it looks on a map -the local public beach is next door. Have a great time. I'd go back in a heartbeat if I could find a decent airfare.

FWIW, I scheduled a massage at the hotel while I was there and found it to be excellent value for the money.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL
I just got back from Santiago-> Valpo/Vina area! Spent a week there, rented a car, here are my 2 cents:

Multiple locals warned us about Valpo/Vina saying there was more crime there in high season and to put your big city pants on. Just be aware and as some have pointed out, maybe skip Valpo at night.

We skipped Valpo almost altogether and opted for day trips based out of Concón to Maitencillo, Zapallar and into the mountains from Santiago. The route between Santiago and Valpo is quite short, maybe 1.5 hours tops. We took 68, pretty straight forward with some decent views, nothing breathtaking.

What you could do is take route 5 north and roll the dice on G-16 or Camino a Tiltil, both head towards Villa Alemana and take the longer more mountainous route (come down on route 60 into Vina). This might fit the seeing the countryside and vineyards bill.

I can safely warn you that F-30-E going into Con Con after 2:00 pm is a trafficy hell. They have a roundabout there that just gets overwhelmed in all directions.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
answering both queries

I just spent two nights in Valpo & I agree completely with other FTs. Do NOT plan to stay in Valparaiso. It is dirty, dangerous and overrun with stray dogs. Also, I suggest you google fire in Valparaiso and you will see # media reports about a fire in January which torched 100 + houses. Guess what? It happened again last night.

Vina is paradise compared to Valpo. Clean, lots of gardens & flowers. What is redeeming about Valpo?
- San Sebastiana - Neruda Foundation home & garden;
- murals - can easily be seen on a day trip;
- trolleys - 270 pesos per ride;
Try to avoid the port when there is a cruise ship in the harbor. If you don't manage to do so, you will see what I mean.
Another ad for Vina. Stay there and you can explore up the coast to Con Con. That is where Chileans go to surf and its very pretty. The bus is the way to travel = 340 pesos.

The Valpo Metro is very quick and convenient, but it only has a few stops between the Port and Vina Del Mar (BTW, one of the stops is Recreo, which is pretty close to the Sheraton). The other downside to the metro is you have to fork out 2000 pesos as a deposit for a rechargeable fare card.

To come to Goldarak's query, the Turbus from Santiago to Valpo return costs 8000 pesos (return anytime). Travel time is 1.5 hours. To reach bus station, take the Airport Bus from SCL to Los Heroes Metro. Buy a transit (BiPs) card and go 8 stops to Pajaritos station, and its adjacent to the metro station.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
To come to Goldarak's query, the Turbus from Santiago to Valpo return costs 8000 pesos (return anytime). Travel time is 1.5 hours. To reach bus station, take the Airport Bus from SCL to Los Heroes Metro. Buy a transit (BiPs) card and go 8 stops to Pajaritos station, and its adjacent to the metro station.
Thank you
Old Mar 13, 2017, 4:43 pm

Regarding direct travel to Valpo/Viña from the airport, the previous reco to take the airport bus to Pajaritos over the main bus terminal or Los Heroes is the correct one if you don't want to waste half an hour or more going into Santiago to then get a bus to Valpo/Viña.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat; *A Gold; Marriott Gold
Just back from a trip to Chile and ended with four days in Vina del Mar. Some quick thoughts:

Transfers: We flew into SCL (returning from Patagonia) and used Uber Black from the airport to our hotel. Apparently Uber is still controversial in Chile as our driver (a very nice young woman) phoned and asked us to meet in the parking area and to greet her as if she were a friend, kisses and hugs, and then sit in the front seat as she left the airport area. Other than that small weirdness, was efficient and approximately USD $120 for an hour and a half, 100 km trip in an upscale car. On our return we had our hotel arrange a car and driver (the Sheraton Miramar) and we paid approx. $170 for a Mercedes van and a driver in a dark suit.

Hotel: stayed at the Sheraton Miramar. Lots of information on the Sheraton board here and on trip*advisor - I'll put a review there eventually. Solid, 3-Star business-class hotel, OK restaurants and bar. Great gym and spa area. Fantastic views. A bit isolated due to the location but probably quieter because of that - only a ten minute walk into Vina, and less than that to a Metro stop.

Vina vs. Valpo - did walking tours in both towns and also went into Vina on our own a few times. Yes, Vina is cleaner in general than Valpo but both have trash, graffiti and stray dogs (friendly stray dogs as everywhere in Chile!). Vina has more of a vacation feel and Valpo is a working city.

Tours: we used Tours 4 Tips in each town; actually ended up with the same guide for both tours. They have a great process and give good tours, highly recommend them unless you have mobility problems. Also arranged a half-day wine tasting tour in Casablanca with lunch through Al Ramirez tours, also recommend them. We got the pass for the train/metro and used it on our own to explore a bit and never felt unsafe but we were only out in the day time. Visited the Fonck museum which is a little gem - fascinating displays on Easter Island and also on the indigenous people of Chile - we happened to be there when an English speaking guide was available and she gave us a perfect 45-minute overview.
Old May 31, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Gold
I just spent two nights in Valpo & I agree completely with other FTs. Do NOT plan to stay in Valparaiso. It is dirty, dangerous and overrun with stray dogs. Also, I suggest you google fire in Valparaiso and you will see # media reports about a fire in January which torched 100 + houses. Guess what? It happened again last night.
Now you have me rethinking my pre cruise plans for next Feb. As it stands now, we arrive SCL on Feb. 10, a Sunday. I have a reservation at a B&B for 2 nights. Then I planned to take the bus to Valpo and stay at a B&B there one night. We board the cruise ship in the late afternoon of Feb. 14 and sail at 6:00pm

Should I stay all 3 nights in Santiago and join others on the cruise doing an all day transfer to Valpo and tour through Vina del Mar on the way to the ship? Or should I keep my plans as is and see both cities? I am not particularly interested in wineries.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:04 pm

Question are you interested in Pablo Neruda?

As indicated, the only true tourist destination in Valpo is Pablo Neruda.

I spent a delightful 3 h doing the Free Valparaiso Tour, and that's where I learned about the stray dogs, the hills and the garbage. It was very interesting but the accommodation was truly awful. IMO, you will pay a premium for a B&B in Valpo. Much nicer to spend the extra day @ the Sheraton.

FYI, the Free Valpo Tour leaves from the floral clock aka right across the street from the Sheraton.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I just came back from Chile and I am glad I followed that thread. So just to share my own experience here.
Originally I asked a question in that thread about how to go from SCL airport to Valparaiso because I don't speak a word of Spanish (unfortunately) and was a bit lost to find my way between the various coaches and departure points from Santiago.
Arriving in SCL after a very long flight from France (CDG-SCL is the longest non-stop AF flight : 14h40 min flight time !!), I have to say I got lazy and took a Uber straight from SCL (to Vina - see below why) and I did not regret it because I saved a lot of time and fatigue also. It cost me €90. Of course it's a sum but when you realize it's the cost of a round trip in taxi between CDG and Paris, it feels better
On the return, I took the Turbus from Valpa to Anameda station in a Santiago and it was no issue at all.

For the hotel, I originally booked at the Ibis Valparaiso (bottom part of the city, near Plaza Sotomayor) because I am an Accor program Platinum and the hotel was cheap. I am not a big fan of Ibis but it was cheap and that's all Accor has to proposed there. But reading this thread, I thought that I should move to Vina Del Mar. As I had some SPG points, I booked at the Sheraton in Vina. And I did not regret it at all. So I want to sincerely thank a lot the people in that thread who have provided such good advices. The Sheraton was fantastic. The view is stunning (all rooms have sea view) and I had a great corner room. Uber was my best friend there. You can reach Valpa from the Sheraton in 10-15 min for a ridiculous cost (€7-8) with Uber. The train is also a good way but involves a 15 min walk from the Sheraton to the station.
And Valpa was...as described by other posters. The bottom part is really to avoid. Even during the day, I was not feeling comfortable. Some hills were quite interesting to walk around and of course the "ascensores" rides are a must and the view from the hills on the sea are stunning.
So Valpa is a place to see, but being careful about your belongings and not walking into dog sh.... (everywhere...). I would not recommend to spend more than 2 days there. And definitely, try to stay in Vina instead.
After Valpa, I have been to Easter Island (3 days) and that was THE trip. It is absolutely fantastic and I should have stayed one more day on the island and one day less in Valpa/Vina.
I hope this will be useful for future travelers in this region.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA Gold
As indicated, the only true tourist destination in Valpo is Pablo Neruda.

I spent a delightful 3 h doing the Free Valparaiso Tour, and that's where I learned about the stray dogs, the hills and the garbage. It was very interesting but the accommodation was truly awful. IMO, you will pay a premium for a B&B in Valpo. Much nicer to spend the extra day @ the Sheraton.

FYI, the Free Valpo Tour leaves from the floral clock aka right across the street from the Sheraton.
Do you think $65 for one night at Costa Azul B&B is a fair price? I believe it is up in the hills. We will need a taxi from the bus terminal to the B&B and then a taxi to the cruise ship dock the next day.

Maybe this is too much changing hotels and I should just stay in SCL all 3 nights and leave for the ship from there.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 3:26 pm

a good deal

Definitely reasonable. I stayed three nights @ Hostal Portobello - which is currently $98 per night for two. It was very difficult to find and the breakfast was sparse. Good location, but I don't pay for views!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.