Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

HELP: "Imprisoned" airside GRU

Old Mar 28, 2016, 10:23 am
Original Poster

My wife and I arrive on South African Airways at 3 AM May 1st, and don't leave until 6:30 PM on Turkish to EZE. We're US Citizens and my wife is without visa (and a month before Olympic waiver program) and can't get one (we're outside the US now). Is either hotel inside the transit area (FastSleep or /TRYP)? Is there anything to do in 15.5 hours to prevent going insane? (I have a visa, but won't abandon her.)

Thanks for your help. I hope we don't die in there. Flying biz and do have Priority Passes.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:10 am
Community Director Emerita

I have no personal experience, but here is the guide to GRU from Sleeping in Airports.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:23 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Im sorry for your "troubles", but, why did your wife decide to not get herself a Visa....?
Old Mar 28, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: OnePass, Delta
If you are relatively close to a SA Embassy or Consulate currently, you may be able to get one relatively quickly...

good luck
Old Mar 28, 2016, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

Reason for no Visa

Thanks for input. My wife cannot get a Brazil visa because we will not be in USA prior to arrival. Brazil requires US citizens to get visas only in the USA. (I have one from a prior visit; she doesn't.)

Looks like the TRYP hotel is airside in Terminal 3, and our inbound and outbound flights use Terminal 3, so I think this solves the issue, though it's an awfully long stay in an "Airport Terminal Hotel"!
Old Mar 29, 2016, 1:41 am

Originally Posted by GeoWalther
My wife and I arrive on South African Airways at 3 AM May 1st, and don't leave until 6:30 PM on Turkish to EZE. We're US Citizens and my wife is without visa (and a month before Olympic waiver program) and can't get one (we're outside the US now). Is either hotel inside the transit area (FastSleep or /TRYP)? Is there anything to do in 15.5 hours to prevent going insane? (I have a visa, but won't abandon her.)

Thanks for your help. I hope we don't die in there. Flying biz and do have Priority Passes.
this is from the embassy of brazil in south africa:
Foreign or Brazilian citizens who wish to request a consular service at a Brazilian mission abroad, should try to do so at a Brazilian Consulate/Consular Section with jurisdiction over their place of residence. This is especially important for legalization of documents (as they can only be legalized by the Brazilian mission with jurisdiction over the place where the document was issued) and visa applications.

note it says should try, so they may accept a visa application there
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Looks like the TRYP hotel is airside in Terminal 3, and our inbound and outbound flights use Terminal 3, so I think this solves the issue, though it's an awfully long stay in an "Airport Terminal Hotel"!
To be honest given the choice I'd prefer spending the time in the Tryp than going land side. Last time we exited GRU to stay in a hotel between connections it took flippin' ages to get through immigration and find the hotel transfer bus.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: AA; GOL Smiles; COPA ConnectMiles; Marriot Bonvoy Titanium; Amtrak Guest Rewards Elite
The fast sleep hotel is tiny, but will do you just fine. Good luck!
Old Apr 13, 2016, 11:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K / Bonvoy Gold
I haven't been to GRU in several years, so am unfamiliar with T3. I'm transiting from QR (2am arrival) to SQ (17:50 departure). I'm hoping to print the SQ boarding pass in advance (looks like that's possible for GRU departures) and will just have carry on.

I'm planning to book a room at the Tryp - does anyone know whether it's as easy as "walk off one plane, check in to hotel, walk back out to next lounge/plane"?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 6:58 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Doing a similar stop to connect.
Arrive 6.20 PM at GRU, have a reservation at TRYP (in terminal 3 (?) airside.
Departing next morning by 9 AM.
Booked hotel thru Hotels dot.
Will be quite jet lagged so guess will mainly sleep in.
QUESTION : Are the guests allowed to go out ?
Is it easy to go ANYWHERE ? Worth going anywhere for a couple of hours. Non drinkers here !
Old Sep 13, 2016, 9:47 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
Thanks for input. My wife cannot get a Brazil visa because we will not be in USA prior to arrival. Brazil requires US citizens to get visas only in the USA. (I have one from a prior visit; she doesn't.)
This is obviously too late to help, but for others reading this, I am a US citizen and have never gotten my visas for Brazil in the USA, although I've had a Brazilian visa in my passport since 2004. I've had no problem getting them from the Brazilian Consulates in Madrid and Santiago - my last one in only 24 hours in Stgo!

Searching the Brazilian Consulte in New York's site, I see no mention that US citizens have to apply for and receive their visas only in the USA. My experience, and that of MANY of my fellow US expats in the Southern Cone, is to the contrary.

Last edited by zpaul; Sep 20, 2016 at 4:35 am
Old Sep 13, 2016, 11:38 am

My wife cannot get a Brazil visa because we will not be in USA prior to arrival. Brazil requires US citizens to get visas only in the USA.
Seems too late now for your purposes, but that is not entirely true.
Think of all the thousands of kids (US or Ozzie or whatever) backpacking the world who get theirs in Buenos Aires or Puerto Iguazu or where ever in South America or elsewhere (just need to be there long enough to wait for processing).
Or people who live abroad and use the Brazilian Consulate there.
Happens all the time.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by HMPS
Doing a similar stop to connect.
Arrive 6.20 PM at GRU, have a reservation at TRYP (in terminal 3 (?) airside.
Departing next morning by 9 AM.
Booked hotel thru Hotels dot.
Will be quite jet lagged so guess will mainly sleep in.
QUESTION : Are the guests allowed to go out ?
Is it easy to go ANYWHERE ? Worth going anywhere for a couple of hours. Non drinkers here !
I just did this exact timing last week. It was incredibly simple - we walked off the plane and went for "International Connections." That led us to a security checkpoint (manned with 3-4 people, but no one actually in line) that took us about 30 seconds to go through. That deposited us directly in front of the TRYP.

The rest of the day, we alternated between resting in the room and wandering T3, checking out the various lounges we had access to.

If you want to go out, I imagine you'd have to go through formal the immigration/customs process. We, on the other hand, never had to show a passport while in transit. I guess we never actually entered Brazil.
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I just did this exact timing last week. It was incredibly simple - we walked off the plane and went for "International Connections." That led us to a security checkpoint (manned with 3-4 people, but no one actually in line) that took us about 30 seconds to go through. That deposited us directly in front of the TRYP.

The rest of the day, we alternated between resting in the room and wandering T3, checking out the various lounges we had access to.

If you want to go out, I imagine you'd have to go through formal the immigration/customs process. We, on the other hand, never had to show a passport while in transit. I guess we never actually entered Brazil.
Thank you for this timely update. We do not plan to go out so will have to spend cash rather than use points at a Marriott.
The idea of walking around in T3 is a good one.
Elsewhere I read that the room rate included breakfast. True ? ( sent an email to the hotel but no reply for five days.)
Old Sep 13, 2016, 7:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by HMPS
Thank you for this timely update. We do not plan to go out so will have to spend cash rather than use points at a Marriott.
The idea of walking around in T3 is a good one.
Elsewhere I read that the room rate included breakfast. True ? ( sent an email to the hotel but no reply for five days.)
If you have lounge access, you can take your breakfast in an airport lounge. It might not be as extensive a selection as most hotel buffet breakfasts, but it will be free.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.