Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

A few questions about extending Colombia visas

Old Sep 10, 2015, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

I looked through this article and it seems like it's relatively easy to get a Visa extension in Colombia: http://www.medellinliving.com/how-to...a-in-medellin/

A few questions though:

1. Has anyone had the experience of renewing a visa in Medellin? Is there any reason I might be denied an extension?

2. How early can I go in? Is the extension given from the date I go in, or the last day of my current visa?

3. Is it correct that I need to bring a small print picture of myself, etc. to get an extension?

Thanks!
Old Sep 10, 2015, 7:42 pm

Programs: Lifemiles Gold, COPA 1K, Hhonors Diamond, Carlson Gold
I am assuming that you are referring to an extension of a 90 day tourist visa received upon arrival?

You are allowed to stay in Colombia for 180 days per calendar year on a tourist visa.

First go to Immigration Colombia and they will tell you what you need; basically a photo, if you have not had a recent visa other than a tourist visa. They may ask you for a flight confirmation to show that you are leaving the country within the 180 days, and you will have to pay a fee of about COP160k. This can be paid in cash in advance at the bank they will advise you, or with a debit/ credit card at the time of processing. The visa will be extended from the last day of validity of the current visa for a further 90 days. It takes about an hour or so. They are quite friendly and it's not a hassle.

However, do not try and stay more than 180 days in a calandar year, you will be deported and maybe fined and they may place a restriction upon returning.

Hope this helps!
Old Sep 11, 2015, 8:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks, that helps a ton. So I basically just need to go to a print shop to get a small photo printed, then go into the office with money and a return flight and I'm probably good to go?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.