Community
Wiki Posts
Search

6 months in Colombia -- Visa question

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

6 months in Colombia -- Visa question

My plan is to go to Colombia for 3 months (as I understand it that's how long you can go without needing a special Visa), head over to Argentina for a few weeks, then back to Colombia for another 3 months.

My question is: will this work? Do I need to have proof of my Argentina flight when I get to Medellin? How strict are they about making sure you've already booked a return trip?

Thanks!!
Old Jun 10, 2015, 9:22 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
My understanding, which is a bit rusty, is that you can spend 180 per calendar year in Colombia. So in theory you can do it all in one schlep

However, the max you can get on entry is 90 days, you can then extend it on a month by month basis up to 180 days.

I say the above and only extended once, I cannot remember exactly but they were a bit funny about my request to extend, for some reason it amounted to an extra day, they did it but I had to prove I was definitely leaving that final day of the extension. Could have been simply that my visa ran out on a certain day and I needed an extra 32 days.

The above said, it would be simpler if you had 3 months then went to Argentina for a while before returning. Take into account that 90 days is the max you can get on entry, it is either 30, 60 or 90. I don't know what the current trend is, but anecdotally you can have everything planned out banking on 90 days, explain to the immigration officer that you'd like 90 days then you are leaving, only for him to look you straight in the eye and write 30 or 60 on your visa. If that happens then you are resigned to going to Quito for a weekend or visiting Migración Colombia for an extension.

According to TIMATIC, Colombia requires proof of onward travel, practically Migración Colombia does not give a stuff about onward travel but as long as it's in TIMATIC, airlines, particularly those in the USA will insist on your having proof of onward travel before letting you board. Your profile does not say where you are, but if you are in the USA, then without proof of onward travel, you are not going anywhere. Of course it is possible to get a fully refundable ticket on a credit card and then cancel it when you arrive in Colombia.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 1:10 am
Original Poster

Ah ok thanks. Super helpful.

So it sounds like if I book a ticket to Argentina 90 days after my arrival I should probably be good, but there's a small chance I'll have to border hop sooner than that, or get an extension?

Do you think the risk is high enough that I should book a refundable flight instead and then book my trip later?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:57 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
What you are describing will work, but you need to count your days carefully.

First, any part of a calendar day you spend in Colombia counts as a day. For example, if you enter the country at 11: 59 p.m. today and fly out at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow, that counts as two days.

Second, don't confuse months with periods of thirty day, as some do. If you arrive in the country on July 1, you must leave by September 28.

Third, be scrupulous about getting your tourist visa extension and do not fail to leave by the 90 day mark. They may not give you a hard time on the way out if you leave a day or two late, but you will be recorded in their system as a rule-breaker and may have a hard time returning.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you, yes, I'll cut it short by a day or two to be safe. I should be flying in on September 3rd and leaving at the end of November. That should be 89 days but maybe I'll shoot for 87 or 88.

As I understand it I don't need any specific Visas for Colombia (I'm from the US). I haven't found information saying for sure that the second 90 days is kosher, but that's what I've heard.

Thanks
Old Jun 11, 2015, 12:33 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
If you are from the US then you can just stroll straight in. I do not know what you mean about the 90 days being "kosher." If you have a specific doubt then let us know, otherwise your vernacular is meaningless.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:36 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I assume by "kosher" that you are not sure if the rule that allows you to extend to 90 days really exists. It does. I would suggest that you look up the website of the Colombian Consulate in the United States. I am fairly certain that they will have an explanation of the rules in English.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

No I found confirmation of the 90 days without visa being fine. I haven't seen anything confirming the 180 days per year. That's what I meant.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.