Search

Chauvinism / discrimination in Chile - one little anecdote

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Chauvinism / discrimination in Chile - one little anecdote

So, my intent here isn't to go all Omni, but just to describe what I found to be an oddly amusing incident, yesterday.

By way of background, I have friends on both sides of the Cordillera. I visit Chile once or twice a year, and come to Argentina 3 or 4 times a year. Almost, but not everyone, that I know and even just casually speak to in Argentina cannot stand people in Chile. I've never heard a good reason why, but it is how it is. In Chile, they aren't sure why they are hated so by those on the Atlantic. No opinions here, just observations.

By way of further background, Chile has a 100 peso coin (currently about 6 of these to a US$). Argentina has a 1 peso coin (currently about 13 of these to a US$). They are the identical shape and size. The only readily ascertainable difference is that one has the silver color in the middle, the other has the silver color on the border. But if you were just going through coins you might not notice. As I frequently hit both countries on the same trip, I keep the "leftovers" for the next trip in separate envelopes.

So yesterday at a supermarket in Santiago Centro, I was paying for a few groceries - I had "close enough" change where I didn't need large bills (something under $3000) and I had a bunch of coins for the difference between $2000 and the total - the cashier gave me the worst kind of stink eye I've seen in ages. Then she grumbled "falta 100 pesos" and showed me an offending coin. I think a counterfeit note would have not received such an eye and tone. After a disculpa and a replacement (as initially it wasn't obvious what was wrong), the transaction was completed in a most unfriendly manner.

Nevertheless, I found the situation mildly amusing, in only a way that someone who likes both places, and has friends in both places, understands.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Won't get into the chileno-argentino thing as that would be OMNI territory and I am very Chilean in my stance on that one but I would not consider the cashier reaction a case of reverse discrimination as the same happens when their fellow countrymen and foreigners try to slip in a Brazilian Real coin for the 500 peso Chilean coin. Both neighbor coins also sometimes work in certain Chilean vending machines.

You need to understand that most businesses in Chile hold the cashier personally responsible for any shortage at the end of their shift. So that 100 peso "mistake" and other mistakes might add up at the over the month on a 260.000 CLP a month take home salary.

Of course, it is much more of a hit to receive the circulating counterfeit bills and every Chilean cashier worth their salt is pretty good at quickly identifying those.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
You need to understand that most businesses in Chile hold the cashier personally responsible for any shortage at the end of their shift. So that 100 peso "mistake" and other mistakes might add up at the over the month on a 260.000 CLP a month take home salary.
I would expect no less from Cencosud!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.32 MM
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
I would expect no less from Cencosud!
At least in Jumbo Argentina they don't forensically examine every 100 peso note like they used to! And the cashiers now have several pesos leeway (in the customer's favor) in making change, when they don't have the correct amount.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 6:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I agree with Viajero Perpetuo, it probably had to do more with the fact that at the end of the working day the cashier has to put up any difference between what the machine says and the actual money she has.

The same happened to me in Buenos Aires with the one Argentine peso coin and the 10 Mexican pesos coin, which are quite similar. I mistakenly gave the cashier the Mexican coin (I had landed from MEX the previous day and was too lazy to empty my wallet) and she also stared at me quite badly. And as far as I know we do get along quite well with the Mexicans.

Regarding the AR-CL rivalry, it's more of a folkloric thing these days, especially among the younger generations. At least that's my impression.
Old Apr 24, 2015, 8:50 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The thread has been retitled slightly; this is not "reverse discrimination" but nationalism / chauvinism between two countries with some bad history between them. Many similar issues exist in South America; Colombia - Panamá, Colombia - Venezuela, Ecuador - Perú, Bolivia - Perú, etc.

Giving people change from another country is apt to get reaction in most parts of the world.

/Moderator
Old May 8, 2015, 11:46 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K, AC SE, Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Titanium
Colombia - Venezuela is particular interesting. Venezuela being the booming economy and Colombia stuck with the drug problems. Twenty years later.. roles have been reversed. Colombia doing quite well while Venezuela's economy stumbling with the decline of oil prices. To add insult to injury, even Ms. Colombia finished ahead of Ms. Venezuela at the most recent beauty pageant.
Old May 10, 2015, 6:43 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Marambio
Regarding the AR-CL rivalry, it's more of a folkloric thing these days, especially among the younger generations.
Agreed !!! ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.