Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help needed for flight BA->Rio

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2015, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Help needed for flight BA->Rio

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone could lend some insight as to the best way to book a flight from Buenos Aires to Rio. My fiancee and I are traveling in March to South America and have booked award flights into EZE and out of GIG, with 12 days in between. We were looking to travel around Friday, 3/13/15, but the flights seem to be really expensive. I've read some on ways to book cheaper with a citizen's number, but I'm concerned that something will go wrong with that. Can anyone help me with some insight?

Thanks!
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:18 pm

If you have 12 days, I suggest using 2-3 of them at the falls. Fly from Buenos Aires to IGR in Puerto Iguazu, Argentina, explore the falls and park, and fly from IGU in Foz do Iguacu, Brasil to Rio (on TAM or GOL).
Note: The closer the departure date, the higher the fares, for the Brazilian airlines.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 6:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

One way fares are pretty expensive and the cheapest ones tend to be at awful times or indirect. You won't qualify for resident fares and anyway they are only for domestic travel.
Using miles is the way to do it if you have any.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
I second the other posters' advice. You can book on TAM if you have Oneworld miles, or Aerolineas and Gol if you have SkyTeam.

VidaNaPraia's suggestion is especially interesting since by crossing overland into Brazil, you will avoid Argentina's hefty international departure tax (around U$100). Currently a one way IGU-GIG flight on TAM for your dates is around R$ 286 (U$110).
Old Jan 16, 2015, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

This forum is the best. Thanks for the suggestions on both ways. I'll look into miles (I have both OW and *A miles), but I like the idea of going to Puerto Iguazu. I'm assuming its easy to get around there? And easy to get to both airports?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Yes, fairly easy to get around. There is a well-organized public transport system on both sides, which connect. There are also taxis, or remises, (cheap in Argentina, but expensive in Brazil) which you can pre-book. IMHO you get much better value for accommodation (and food) on the Argentine side of the border. Check out Jazy, I stayed there a few times and it's very good value, chilled, well located and has great staff. Alternatively, you can stay at the Sheraton which is inside the nat'l park. Two full days is a good amount of time to spend there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.