Fly into CCS, out of CTG?

Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:09 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Original Poster
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hi FT,

I'm looking to use UA award miles expressly from a JetBlue destination in Mexico/the Caribbean. Ideally, I'd fly into Caracas, somehow get to Mérida, then somewhere near the Colombian border, and finally fly back from Cartagena to that JetBlue city (or another, if B6 does open-jaws).

A couple of questions arise:

1) Should I not bother with using a credit card in Venezuela? Lechuga verde only?

2) If leaving Venezuela by land, is there an exit fee similar to that at CCS? (according to what I've read online)

3) What would you suggest as the route between Caracas, Mérida and Colombia? Should I just book a flight from Caracas to Mérida?

4) Is it possible to exchange bolivares at the Colombian border?

Thanks,
BMB
Old Dec 20, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Speaking as an expat who has lived in Colombia for a number of years, I would not be eager to do an overland border crossing from Venezuela to Colombia. First, that area of Colombia is still subject to guerrilla activity, particularly by the ELN, which is not currently involved in peace negotiations. When we hear about foreigners being kidnapped/robbed, it is often in that region.

Second, the border situation between the two countries is a bit unstable right now. Venezuela has decided to close the crossings during nighttime.

http://colombiareports.co/venezuela-...sing-measures/

I don't know how this affects crossings other than limiting them to daytime, but it can't be helpful. There is indeed a lot of smuggling and other criminal activity going on, and you will be in the company of some unsavory people.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, coolcoil.

Have you visited Merída?

I guess I should look into a r/t from Caracas to there, and a one-way to somewhere in Colombia...what would the draw be to Medellin over Cartagena?
Old Dec 21, 2014, 8:55 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Thanks for your reply, coolcoil.

Have you visited Merída?

I guess I should look into a r/t from Caracas to there, and a one-way to somewhere in Colombia...what would the draw be to Medellin over Cartagena?
You are welcome!

However, I do want to make it clear that I have no personal experience travelling in that area. My information is based on news reports and other info that I have picked up from Colombians. I do pay a bit more attention to that news, of course, because I live in Colombia. There may be others on this forum who have direct experience or other information. I have not been to Merida.

As for Medellin vs. Cartagena, take a look at this discussion:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ip-bogota.html

The right choice depends on what you want out of your trip. Any one place you go in Colombia is going to be a slice of the "real Colombia," but no one destination will give you the flavor of the whole country. You'll have to come back 4 or 5 times.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Hi FT,

I'm looking to use UA award miles expressly from a JetBlue destination in Mexico/the Caribbean. Ideally, I'd fly into Caracas, somehow get to Mérida, then somewhere near the Colombian border, and finally fly back from Cartagena to that JetBlue city (or another, if B6 does open-jaws).

A couple of questions arise:

1) Should I not bother with using a credit card in Venezuela? Lechuga verde only?

2) If leaving Venezuela by land, is there an exit fee similar to that at CCS? (according to what I've read online)

3) What would you suggest as the route between Caracas, Mérida and Colombia? Should I just book a flight from Caracas to Mérida?

4) Is it possible to exchange bolivares at the Colombian border?

Thanks,
BMB
1) don't use a foreign credit card in Venezuela. Your forex is around 12 VEF/USD while black market I.e. Cash operations are around 180

2) yes, you have to buy an exit card at the overland border crossing in order to leave Venezuela

3) CCS-Merida you might fly into el Vigia and then by taxi (about 1:15 h drive) or rent a car and drive via Barinas and over the Paramo, that's a spectacular road through the Andean mountains (I did this route 6 months ago), from Merida take a taxi to the Colombian border at San Antonio. Flights CCS-Merida are often cancelled.

4) yes, but the exchange rate is not very good. You get a better rate in Cucuta's shopping mall what I was told. However border crossing is currently very difficult. If you speak Spanish calculate 2-3 hours, if not I would not try. Be also aware that there is frequent gas shortage on the roads towards the border and land transport might be delayed by hous just waiting to fill up gas. Queues of 100 or more vehicles are the rule, but if you have time it is feasable. A friend of mine did this border crossing a month ago

If you want to fly from CCS to Colombia be aware that flights are often fully booked and very expensive. Best chance is to Bogota but you will not find this below 500 dollars.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MarLim
1) don't use a foreign credit card in Venezuela. Your forex is around 12 VEF/USD while black market I.e. Cash operations are around 180

2) yes, you have to buy an exit card at the overland border crossing in order to leave Venezuela
Thanks for your reply, MarLim.

Due to time constraints, I may be limited to Caracas and Valencia now. Would you mind sending me a PM of your recommendations for exchanging money once I get to CCS/downtown?
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Included as part of the fees/charges for a UA award ticket originating in CCS were these two lines:

"Venezuela Airport Exit Tax 42.30
Venezuela Airport Departure Tax 40.20"

Does that mean CCS departure taxes are already included?

Thanks,
BmB
Old Dec 29, 2014, 2:49 pm

Programs: DL DM; *A-Gold
Included as part of the fees/charges for a UA award ticket originating in CCS were these two lines:

"Venezuela Airport Exit Tax 42.30
Venezuela Airport Departure Tax 40.20"

Does that mean CCS departure taxes are already included?

Thanks,
BmB
yes, no need to pay locally
Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: Former AA PLT/GLD, A3 *G, Priority Pass
If you ever need further recommendations you may also reach me as i live in Caracas. MarLim information is spot on. I'm not as streetwise as him but i can however help in the gourmet department.

I've been to Merida only once lots of years ago when i was a child. We did it by car. Now a days i would not advice you to get there by car, roads are not well paved and it is insecure. I would skip Merida altogether, i don't think it's relevant enough to travel there.

If i could advice you, please do not cross the border to Colombia by land. It is worthwhile to buy an air ticket instead as i consider it a security risk. I have never crossed the Venezuelan border by land and hope to never to. I consider it uncomfortable, risky and potentially unsafe so i, as a Venezuelan national have never even contemplated this method under my travel plans.

My rule of thumb is whatever you have the opportunity to do by plane instead of a car in Venezuela do it. Roads are in very bad conditions, and driving to other cities has turned into a very unsafe adventure. My family, friends and i ; We all try to avoid making a road trip whenever possible and opt for air travel instead 90% of times, as it is much safer, more practical and sometimes even cheaper than hiring a driver or the like. Do have in mind that domestic tickets have been very hard to find and are scarce throughout all the territory, as domestic airlines are struggling with a shortage of working aircraft on their aging fleets and demand is also high.

Departure taxes are included, try not to use a foreign credit card to avoid getting ripped off and do not wear anything flashy (well this is obvious). Exercise caution and take care. From CCS to Colombia, CCS-BOG flights would be your best bet. Cheaper than MDE or CTG. Avianca, Conviasa ,Copa and Tame operate this route.

I would stick to Caracas, eat well, do a daytrip to Los Roques and/or a visit to Canaima.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:02 pm
Original Poster

mvtm, thanks for your advice! Heh, help in the gourmet department...food is always a priority in my travels!

I will be in Caracas from 4-7 (or 8) January. Haven't booked a hotel yet, and the two inns I emailed five days ago haven't replied. Do hotels accept dollars or just bolivares fuertes? I didn't know if it was just necessary to change money for meals/transport.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:17 pm

mvtm, thanks for your advice! Heh, help in the gourmet department...food is always a priority in my travels!

I will be in Caracas from 4-7 (or 8) January. Haven't booked a hotel yet, and the two inns I emailed five days ago haven't replied. Do hotels accept dollars or just bolivares fuertes? I didn't know if it was just necessary to change money for meals/transport.
Hotels accept both dollars and bolivares, but i would ask with the specific hotel beforehand just in case. Usually customer service is not very good here, so i would call the hotel instead of reaching them by email.

For transport and meals absolutely, you would need bolivares. Do not pick taxis on the street, radio call or arrange from the hotel. Some reputable radio call companies are Teletaxi, Movil Enlace, Easy Taxi, Taxi Tour.

The area of Altamira, Los Palos Grandes, and La Castellana are good hotels zones. Specially if you are a foodie Los Palos Grandes has many good restaurants.

As far as hotels goes i think the best one is the Renaissance. It is modern and one of the newest built hotels. Albeit i think the most expensive one ? If you are looking for something on the fancier side that would be or the JW Marriott. Then you have The Vip, Eurobuilding and Pestana which are also nice and don't cost as much. Melia is also good, but the location in Sabana Grande is not a safer one.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 7:13 am
Original Poster

mvtm, thanks again for your detailed reply. What are a few of your favorite local dishes?

Also, I wasn't sure if I should exchange just enough at the airport for the ride into town, and then look for better exchange rates in Altamira or Los Palos Grandes.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 8:29 am

Holy trip, BuildingMyBento! So you're just doing CCS and VLN now?

C'mon, mvtm! That was during the guarimbas we were in a war zone. And how dare you speak of the great Merida town like that? Jeez...not all of us got private planes, ya know.

Edit: You can just burn 10k UA and fly from CCS/VLN to Bogota. Even the taxes you could pay in BsF.

BuildingMyBento, forget inns. Go to a real hotel. I like the Renaissance because of the location but the InterContinental, Embassy Suites and JW are legit choices too. Maybe Pestana or The Vip if you want to go a little cheaper. Either way, at ~180 you are looking at <80$ which is pretty damn good.

I'm a couple hours west of Valencia but if you need anything feel free to PM me. Maybe I could put you in touch with a couple of expats friends in Caracas.

(Don't exchange money at the airport and avoid the street for that! This is not Buenos Aires)

Last edited by Viajero Millero; Jan 3, 2015 at 8:36 am
Old Jan 3, 2015, 10:43 am

mvtm, thanks again for your detailed reply. What are a few of your favorite local dishes?

Also, I wasn't sure if I should exchange just enough at the airport for the ride into town, and then look for better exchange rates in Altamira or Los Palos Grandes.
Tequeños. Arepas are also nice, Hallacas (a Christmas dish) are not bad either. There is also Empanadas and Cachapas. All of them are good, but Tequeños are my favorite.

There is a nice trendy restaurant called "La Isabella" where you sit in a Colonial House and the chef Eduardo Moreno comes and serves you all kind of Venezuelan cuisine with a fusion twist. It is very nice, i have gone a few times. He sends you the menu via email beforehand so you know what day to go, or what day they are cooking what.

There is also some nice little restaurants at "El Hatillo" town, such as "El Cine", "El Escondite", "El Comedor" among others. Altamira and Los Palos Grandes have a broad variety too.

As VM said don't exchange money at the airport, it is preferably you exchange somewhere else.

Originally Posted by Viajero Millero
Holy trip, BuildingMyBento! So you're just doing CCS and VLN now?

C'mon, mvtm! That was during the guarimbas we were in a war zone. And how dare you speak of the great Merida town like that? Jeez...not all of us got private planes, ya know.

Edit: You can just burn 10k UA and fly from CCS/VLN to Bogota. Even the taxes you could pay in BsF.

BuildingMyBento, forget inns. Go to a real hotel. I like the Renaissance because of the location but the InterContinental, Embassy Suites and JW are legit choices too. Maybe Pestana or The Vip if you want to go a little cheaper. Either way, at ~180 you are looking at <80$ which is pretty damn good.

I'm a couple hours west of Valencia but if you need anything feel free to PM me. Maybe I could put you in touch with a couple of expats friends in Caracas.

(Don't exchange money at the airport and avoid the street for that! This is not Buenos Aires)
I agree. Follow VM's advice in Venezuela go for full span hotel and forget about the inns. There are a few things you can splurge in a trip to Venezuela and the best thing to do it's get a good hotel in a safe location. Besides, there's not much you can buy here so a reliable hotel and good food are certainly good ways to spend your time at Caracas.

UA 10K points is also a good idea! You could also have spent 20K Avios for a RT MIA-CCS-MIA next time to get here.
Old Jan 4, 2015, 3:35 pm
Original Poster

Gracias por sus respuestas, Viajero Millero y mvtm!

On a bit of a caprice of a booking, I am in Sábana Grande tonight. I'd head over to more welcoming neighborhoods if I can figure out where to change lechuga.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.