Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visa - Colombia

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2014, 7:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Wyndham Diamond, Bestwestern Diamond & Hyatt Platinum
Visa - Colombia

Do Australian citizens require a Visa for Colombia?
Travelling to Bogota (from Atlanta US) in February for a holiday.
Looking at staying Hilton or Sofitel.
Anything else I might need to know?

Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2014, 2:17 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I don't know the answer, but I would expect that the website for the Colombian consulate in your country would have all the information you need.
Old Nov 10, 2014, 3:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Wyndham Diamond, Bestwestern Diamond & Hyatt Platinum
Thanks for your help. Checked the Consulate of Colombia Sydney website and I don't need a Visa for stays under 90 days Tourist.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Wrong also.
TIMATIC says visa required for 180 days or fewer.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Wrong also.
TIMATIC says visa required for 180 days or fewer.
Well, assuming the rules for Australians are the same as US citizens, they are both right but don't give the whole story. I believe the full story is that you can stay for 180 days total in a given year*, but if you are in Colombia for more than 90 consecutive days, you have to get your visa extended.

*I'm not sure if it's actually on a calendar year basis or a rolling 365 day. There is a lot of discussion about this on expat websites, but as I never pushed the 90 day limit back in my "tourist" days, I never paid much attention.
Old Dec 5, 2014, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by coolcoil
Well, assuming the rules for Australians are the same as US citizens, they are both right but don't give the whole story. I believe the full story is that you can stay for 180 days total in a given year*, but if you are in Colombia for more than 90 consecutive days, you have to get your visa extended.

*I'm not sure if it's actually on a calendar year basis or a rolling 365 day. There is a lot of discussion about this on expat websites, but as I never pushed the 90 day limit back in my "tourist" days, I never paid much attention.
If it was like that, then would it not have language more similar to this?
(EU rules say 90 days per 180 days, which is roughly equal to the limit that you have put.)
Old Dec 6, 2014, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If it was like that, then would it not have language more similar to this?
(EU rules say 90 days per 180 days, which is roughly equal to the limit that you have put.)
I'm no expert on this, but this is how I interpret the difference:

If an Australian national wants to board a plane for Portugal without a visa, they must have proof of plans to leave the country within 90 days. They may be able to extend their stay to 180 days once they get there.

An Australian national who wants to board a plane for Colombia without a visa must have proof of plans to leave within 180 days. If they fail to get the visa extended at the 90 day mark, that's not the airline's problem. Again, I'm not an expert on this, and I'm sure there are others who will know the answer for sure.
Old Dec 6, 2014, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The information on TIMATIC will determine whether the airline allows the OP to take his/her flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.