Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Patagonia trip help

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2014, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Patagonia trip help

I am planning a trip to for our family of 4 to Patagonia Chile/Argentina. I have the following itinerary:

Dec23 arrive Punta Arenas around 6:30pm. Stay overnight in Punta Arenas.
Dec24 Do Magdalena Island penguin tour in morning. Take bus to Puerto Natales in the afternoon. Overnight in Puerto Natales
Dec 25 Take a one day guided tour to Torres del Paine. Overnight in Puerto Natales.
Dec 26 Take bus to El Calafate. Rent a car and drive to El Chalten. Overnight in El Chalten
Dec 27 Hike Laguna de Los Tres. Overnight in El Chalten
Dec 28 Spend morning sightseeing/hiking. Drive to El Calafate in afternoon/evening. Overnight in El Calafate.
Dec 29 Do guided glacier hike of Perito Moreno Glacier. Return rental car. Overnight in El Calafate
Dec 30 Take bus from El Calafate back to Puerto Natales and then to Punta Arenas.
Dec 31 Fly to Santiago early morning. Spend a day touring the city and take late night flight back home to US. Ring in New Year on the plane.

For all those who've been to this region, is this itinerary doable/reasonable. Any comment is appreciated.
Old Aug 22, 2014, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
El Calafate/El Chalten portion is totally doable, especially since the road between the two is now paved all the way (was mostly unpaved with some deep gravel pockets back in 2003).
Old Aug 23, 2014, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Is there a Magdalena Island penguin tour in the AM?

I have no idea but you may want to check. I've never been there but I've been to Seno Otway a few times. The penguins are out at sea during much of the day and come back to land in the late afternoon. Lots of cute little chicks in late December. If the weather is unseasonably warm, they may stay out at sea longer (once it got up to 20c and they didn't want to come home too early).

Be prepared for windy. Very windy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.