Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel recommendations for PEI and SJO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2014, 5:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, DL AMEX Reserve
Hotel recommendations for PEI and SJO

Looking for something high end (eg. suites), 4-5 stars at each destination. For PEI I am thinking Movich?
Old Jul 23, 2014, 2:27 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
While I know it's FlyerTalk talk to shorthand city names to their airport codes, I doubt many people will even know where "PEI" is. Is it Pereira, Colombia? To me, "PEI" refers to Prince Edward Island.

For San Jose, Costa Rica, you'll get more people viewing your request in the Central America forum.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 6:27 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Well this is the South America forum and I knew what PEI means

Movich is the only upmarket hotel in Pereira. Why are you travelling? I have yet to work out why anyone would want to go there. I suppose it is ideal for wealthy Colombian businessmen or sex tourists. Hapless location for seeing the sights of the coffee zone though.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
That's because you're in Colombia. I suspect that most of us would have to look it up. I sure did.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:13 pm
Original Poster

Movich is the only upmarket hotel in Pereira. Why are you travelling? I have yet to work out why anyone would want to go there. I suppose it is ideal for wealthy Colombian businessmen or sex tourists. Hapless location for seeing the sights of the coffee zone though.
Ouch? I'm visiting the in-laws.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by SJOGuy
That's because you're in Colombia. I suspect that most of us would have to look it up. I sure did.
But you knew SJO Consider it a learning experience. I often have to look up IATA codes. PEI is an international airport and now has a new flight to JFK technical stop in CTG. Very cool airport. You land on a sort of shelf and then look down and wonder how you didn't roll into the valley

Originally Posted by PirateJeff
Ouch? I'm visiting the in-laws.
Won't they become suspicious when you engage in multi-billion peso business deals or take attractive teenagers back to your room?

Some nice finca options in the area if you are interested in that.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 9:54 pm

Here is a great option if you are prepared to be a bit outside the city

http://www.sazagua.com/english_page/index.php
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:14 pm
Original Poster

Won't they become suspicious when you engage in multi-billion peso business deals or take attractive teenagers back to your room?

Some nice finca options in the area if you are interested in that.
Are you messing with me or you seriously think I'm traveling to PEI to look for prostitutes?

The in-laws live in the city (which I prefer) and actually have a finca on the outskirts, but tentatively I am only committing to a day trip out there.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 10:19 pm
Original Poster

But you knew SJO Consider it a learning experience. I often have to look up IATA codes. PEI is an international airport and now has a new flight to JFK technical stop in CTG. Very cool airport. You land on a sort of shelf and then look down and wonder how you didn't roll into the valley
My first time at PEI I landed at night. For a split second I thought they ditched the plane into the mountain. This was on AeroRepublica some years ago and the plane seemed to be aging badly. The overheads were held down with bungee cords.

Interesting story behind that, arrived in BOG from MIA three hours late due to mx and AV basically told me to pack sand if I thought I was getting to PEI that day. Ended up at the AA office somewhere on the other side of the airport arguing in broken Spanish (I'm much better now), after about 30 minutes I assume they became fed up with me and walked over to the AeroRepublica counter to buy me a new ticket (saw them swiping the AA manager's credit card).

Not sure what the deal was exactly. It was my first time to Colombia and my logic at the time was to request paper tickets so that I didn't run into any e-ticketing issues at BOG, but this ended up being a point of contention as they said they couldn't help me reschedule due to holding paper tickets?

Was a bit of an adventure, but ended up in PEI only ~9 hours late :P
Old Jul 23, 2014, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by PirateJeff
Are you messing with me...
Yes
Old Jul 24, 2014, 12:19 am

That's because I live in Costa Rica.

My real point is that I've never understood the use of airport codes here when talking about a city. Whether anyone knows what PEI is or not -- it's not exactly as well known as BOG -- I assume the OP is not staying at PEI, the airport.

Buried deep in the South America forum is a thread I remember started by a guy who said something like:

I'm going to EZE. Which airport will I use for domestic flight?
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
That's because I live in Costa Rica.

My real point is that I've never understood the use of airport codes here when talking about a city. Whether anyone knows what PEI is or not -- it's not exactly as well known as BOG -- I assume the OP is not staying at PEI, the airport.

Buried deep in the South America forum is a thread I remember started by a guy who said something like:

I know a couple of folks with this pet peeve. I use PEI because I simply do not know how to spell Periera in Columbia.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 7:27 am

Oh, not a pet peeve as much as a source of amusement when people here ask, "I'm headed to ORD. Any recommendations for good nightlife there?"

Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
I simply do not know how to spell Periera in Columbia.
I can't resist. There's also that same problem with, um, Colombia.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 4:14 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Oh, not a pet peeve as much as a source of amusement when people here ask, "I'm headed to ORD. Any recommendations for good nightlife there?"

I can't resist. There's also that same problem with, um, Colombia.
Yes.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
My real point is that I've never understood the use of airport codes here when talking about a city. Whether anyone knows what PEI is or not -- it's not exactly as well known as BOG...
It's the Flyertalk South America forum not the Canadian Maritimes one. OP is presumably looking for hotel recs from people who have actually been to PEI (that's Pereira, Risaralda, Colombia, South America for the uninitiated). I'd wager that anyone who could actually provide OP with relevant advice and recommendations knows the airport code for Pereira.

If you don't know the code PEI, you're unlikely to be able to add value to OP's query.

Ok, rant off, now how's the beach in ADZ?

I do have a pet peeve when the ignorant use AIRPORT codes when they are clearly referring to multi-airport cities or metro areas that have CITY codes.

BUE, CHI, LON, MOW, RIO, SAO, TYO etc. are all perfectly good aviation-speak when referring to cities/metro areas rather than airports.

Last edited by Herb687; Jul 27, 2014 at 11:27 am Reason: multi-quote

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.