Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time to S. America

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

First time to S. America

Any help would be appreciated - Have 2 weeks vacation - flying in from Dallas. Trying to decide where to go in S. America. Peru, Chile, Argentina, Brazil are all on the list. Any experts want to give advice on where to go and how to get around, etc? Thanks!!!
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:39 pm

The best help I can think of is for you to get a guidebook. It's a big continent. For 2 weeks, choose 1 country, and a pretty limited couple of areas of it.
You'll get a lot better advice if you tell us what you like, what appeals to you, and then let us help solidify the plans you already have.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

We have no plans right now - Want to come late August/Early September. Couple in our late 20's. Love to be active (hike) and be on the go. Used to traveling and hopping around quite a bit. Want to be outside most of the time. Thanks!!!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:02 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
The question is only slightly less broad than "where on Earth should we go for vacation?", but only slightly.

I'd echo VidaNaPraia's suggestion - get a guidebook and see what areas appeal to you. Then, once you narrow things down a bit, we can provide feedback.

South America is one of the most diverse continents in the world in terms of culture, climate, infrastructure, etc. Everything from tropical rainforest to glaciers, mountains to beaches. Modern, developed cities to empty rural spaces.
Old Jun 17, 2014, 8:04 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply!!!! We will figure it out!
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Cnstar33
We have no plans right now - Want to come late August/Early September. Couple in our late 20's. Love to be active (hike) and be on the go. Used to traveling and hopping around quite a bit. Want to be outside most of the time. Thanks!!!
You'll probably want to be no further south than a line of approximately Santiago to Buenos Aires. It will be late winter and any sort of Patagonian adventure isn't really in the cards for that season. (There are ski resorts quite close to SCL if that is appealing to you.)
Old Jun 17, 2014, 9:41 am
Original Poster

We hadn't thought about that - That is definitely something we should consider!! Thank you!
Old Jun 18, 2014, 2:20 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
Considering the time of year and your interests:

Chile/Argentina: Stay north of the Santiago/BA line as Eastbay suggested as it's late winter/early spring, so that rules out Patagonia for you. If you are active and like hiking, check out either Northwest Argentina, outside of Salta or the Atacama desert in northern Chile, good time of year for there and the hiking/active component is great. Atacama is easy to get to with frequent flights from Santiago to Calama (CJC) only 2 hours. Great all inclusive luxury properties there, like Explora, Tierra, Alto or if you want something really unique check out Awasi Atacama as you get your own guide and vehicle so all excursions in private. You can also base out of cheaper local hotels and explore on your own.

Peru: It's the tail end of the dry season during Aug/Sep so weather is good in the Andes. If you like spectacular mountain scenery, intense local culture and tradition, and hiking - you can;t beat the Cusco area. If this is a first time trip to South America, Peru really delivers and overwhelming experience.

Ecuador/Galapagos: August and September tend to be the worst months for the Galapagos with lots of fog and cold water currents. Also more rainy in the Ecuadorian highlands.

Colombia: Another great option as year round is a good time to travel there weather wise, it is a shorter flight and the people/country are truly amazing. Don;t be scared of it due to the seemingly everlasting bad reputation carrying over from the 80's/early 90's. Fascinating cities in Bogota, Medellin and Cartagena - Medellin being my favorite. For active stuff check out Tayrona national park on the coast near Santa Marta - one of the most gorgeous national parks in South America or go to the coffee regions around Periera/Armenia which is gorgeous and some good hiking.
Old Jul 30, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

We have changed our plans and are now thinking the first 2 weeks of November. We narrowed it down to Chile and Argentina, but seemed like there would be a fee to get into Argentina

Here is a rough estimate of flights - do y'all have thoughts on this? Again, we like hiking and outdoors, including beaches. Don't need to see any museums or big cities

10/31 DFW>SCL
11/5 SCL>Puerto Montt
11/10 Puerto Montt>Punta Arenas
11/15 Punta Arenas>DFW
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:15 pm
Original Poster

any help here would be wonderful!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: OneWorld Emerald
Looks like you have quite a few days in Santiago?

I'm not a super big fan of Santiago to be honest. Feels like a landlocked LA to me with everyone speaking Spanish. Pleasant city nevertheless. If you want modern amenities and standardized hotels, look in the El Golf or Los Condes areas. You have your selection of Hyatt, Ritz, Marriot's, etc - The W (my favorite there for someplace trendy and access to good nightlife). If you want more authentic, look to staying in the neighborhoods of Lastarria (lastarria Boutique Hotel), Providencia (La Reve), or Bellavista (The Aubrey) You can make some good day trips out of Santiago into the surrounding wine valleys, much like how close Napa/Sonoma is to San Francisco. My favorite winery is a placed called Matetic, a biodynamic winery that amkes the only chardonnay that I like in the world. I'd also go out to Valparaiso on the coast or donw to Vina del Mar. Valpariso has interesting geography and architecture.

For Puerto Montt, most people use that as a springboard for either going inland to the southern lakes region or for going out to the coast and seeing Isla Chiloe. The hotels/resorts around that area of the Lakes Region are kind of depressing in my opinion. If you are stuck on Puerto Montt - check out going to stay at a place called Refugia on Isla Chiloe. Or, I'd change my flights to go into Temuco and explore the proper lakes district area around Pucon. There is a new place opening in September there called Hacienda Vira Vira, (www.hotelviravira.com) which I am dying to check out and just might make it down there later in the year to do so. I think that area is way more spectacular than down around near Puerto Montt.

For Punta Arenas, the city itself is nothing special. People use it as a springboard for going on cruise ships through the fjords or for getting up to Torres del Paine. I'd go up to Torres del Paine. I can't recommend Awasi Patagonia strongly enough as the best lodge at Torres del Paine. www.awasipatagonia.com You get your own driver and guide to explore the park as you wish, they are the only lodge that does that there and it is wel worth it. the singular in Puerto Natales is also very nice as a stopover for a night enroute to or from Torres del Paine.

Hope this is helpful.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

So helpful! Thank you SO much! I appreciate this so much. As far as Santiago, I think we had planned to not spend much time there, but go west towards the coast - I guess we were hoping to see some beaches. Should we skip that all together and do Mendoza instead (I realize that is not beaches, but we talked about maybe trying to add that into the trip)

Thank you SO much - seriously!

Originally Posted by MarinFlyer

I'm not a super big fan of Santiago to be honest. Feels like a landlocked LA to me with everyone speaking Spanish. Pleasant city nevertheless. If you want modern amenities and standardized hotels, look in the El Golf or Los Condes areas. You have your selection of Hyatt, Ritz, Marriot's, etc - The W (my favorite there for someplace trendy and access to good nightlife). If you want more authentic, look to staying in the neighborhoods of Lastarria (lastarria Boutique Hotel), Providencia (La Reve), or Bellavista (The Aubrey) You can make some good day trips out of Santiago into the surrounding wine valleys, much like how close Napa/Sonoma is to San Francisco. My favorite winery is a placed called Matetic, a biodynamic winery that amkes the only chardonnay that I like in the world. I'd also go out to Valparaiso on the coast or donw to Vina del Mar. Valpariso has interesting geography and architecture.

For Puerto Montt, most people use that as a springboard for either going inland to the southern lakes region or for going out to the coast and seeing Isla Chiloe. The hotels/resorts around that area of the Lakes Region are kind of depressing in my opinion. If you are stuck on Puerto Montt - check out going to stay at a place called Refugia on Isla Chiloe. Or, I'd change my flights to go into Temuco and explore the proper lakes district area around Pucon. There is a new place opening in September there called Hacienda Vira Vira, (www.hotelviravira.com) which I am dying to check out and just might make it down there later in the year to do so. I think that area is way more spectacular than down around near Puerto Montt.

For Punta Arenas, the city itself is nothing special. People use it as a springboard for going on cruise ships through the fjords or for getting up to Torres del Paine. I'd go up to Torres del Paine. I can't recommend Awasi Patagonia strongly enough as the best lodge at Torres del Paine. www.awasipatagonia.com You get your own driver and guide to explore the park as you wish, they are the only lodge that does that there and it is wel worth it. the singular in Puerto Natales is also very nice as a stopover for a night enroute to or from Torres del Paine.

Hope this is helpful.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 9:35 am
Original Poster

In addition to my question above, it sounds like a lot of the places you mentioned are 'ok' - do you suggest we not go to Chile and look into some other places? Thanks again!

Originally Posted by MarinFlyer

Hope this is helpful.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 6:52 pm

Programs: OnePass, HH Honors
Personally, I suggest you do go to Chile. Santiago is the best city in Latin America (Buenos Aires used to be but has been going downhill) and plenty of great places to visit such as the Atacama desert in the north, Torres de Paine in the south, and the Andes to the east.

Also, I agree with MarinFlyer that Colombia is a good option. I've been living in Medellin for the past 2.5 years, and it is a fairly safe city compared to many others in Latin America, and getting better everyday.
Old Aug 25, 2014, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA WN Delta Hilton Gold
Hi CNSTAR33,

Not sure where you are based but if you are in the US, Canada or Australia then be aware that many of the countries have either visa or reciprocity fees that will need to be paid prior to travel to that country. Here is a link to a good overview article but check each country for up to date info. http://gosouthamerica.about.com/od/g...th-America.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.