Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2015, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Yellow Fever Vaccination for South America
Please edit this wikipost as necessary

Some countries or areas may require proof of vaccination - alternately, a certificate from a physician stating YFV is contraindicated for a patient - to enter YF areas, or in cases where travelers have visited Yellow Fever areas, generally in Africa or South America. "Travelers who arrive in a country with a yellow fever vaccination entry requirement without proof of yellow fever vaccination may be quarantined for up to 6 days, refused entry, or vaccinated on site." ((USCDC)

The US Center's for Disease Control and Prevention (Nov 2015):

Yellow fever vaccine is a live-virus vaccine which has been used for several decades. A single dose protects against disease for 10 years or more. If a person is at continued risk of infection, a booster dose is recommended every 10 years. See this page for caveats, etc.

As well, note:

Vaccine Administration

For all eligible people, a single injection of reconstituted vaccine should be administered subcutaneously. Revaccination has been required by certain countries at 10-year intervals to comply with International Health Regulations (IHR) of the World Health Organization (WHO).

Note: In February 2015, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) approved a new recommendation that a single dose of yellow fever vaccine provides long-lasting protection and is adequate for most travelers. The updated recommendations also identify specific groups of travelers who should receive additional doses and others for whom additional doses may be considered. The official ACIP recommendations were published on June 19, 2015 (see http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6423a5.htm). All current ACIP yellow fever vaccine recommendations can be found on the ACIP website at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/acip-recs/index.html.

Although ACIP no longer recommends booster doses of yellow fever vaccine for most travelers, clinicians and travelers should review the entry requirements for destination countries because changes to the International Health Regulations (IHR) have not yet been fully implemented. In 2014, the World Health Organization adopted the recommendation to remove the 10-year booster dose requirement from the IHR as of June 2016. Once this change is instituted, a completed International Certificate of Vaccination or Prophylaxis will be valid for the lifetime of the vaccinee. Some countries have already adopted this change, which is noted under the yellow fever vaccine requirements on each country’s destination page. However, it is uncertain when and if all countries with yellow fever vaccination requirements will adopt this change. (Updated August 26, 2015)
See the CDC Traveler Health page here for much more detailed and important information.

The proof of vaccine must generally be from an authorized vaccination center, and is generally in the form of a "international certificate of vaccination or prophylaxis" standard proof of vaccination.

ICVP Form

Also see the Australia Department of Health page here

Also see the Canada Government page here

Also see the UK NHS "fitfortravel" page here

Updated 6 November 2015
Print Wikipost

Yellow fever vaccination requirements for South America

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2011, 5:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Yellow fever vaccination requirements for South America

If I'm flying IAH-PTY-LIM (2hrs transit at PTY) and leaving later on the nonstop LIM-EWR, do I need to produce a certificate of yellow fever vaccination to enter LIM (or to transit PTY?)
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:39 pm

Yellow fever vaccine for Iguazu Falls?

Was about to book two nights at Iguazu falls, but now not sure if I need yellow fever vaccine or not. It's too late to get it since I need to get it at least ten days before heading there. My other two destinations (Rio and Buenos Aires) don't require it. But from reading other posts not sure if I need it or not.

I've seen some people post there is 0 chance of getting it, but other say not to even take a risk. Also saw someone mention that yellow fever vaccine is required to cross Brazil border.

Am I just overthinking this? Or would I be better off leaving Iguazu falls for another time?
Old Dec 7, 2013, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
One thing is getting sick. Another thing is immigration requirements.

As its valid for 10 years, Id recommend everyone to get it when they can. Especially if going via a low cost country.

Probably not applicable to you, but Red cross hospital in Bangkok is a painless option if you are in those parts of the world. Huge money saver compared to many western countries as well.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:29 am

Will get it in future, but was planning on going next week and it's too late for that (need it at least 10 days before trip)

Checked the weather and is supposed to be raining the two days I want to be there so now leaning towards not going.
Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:40 am
Suspended

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by R2134
Will get it in future, but was planning on going next week and it's too late for that (need it at least 10 days before trip)

Checked the weather and is supposed to be raining the two days I want to be there so now leaning towards not going.
Def go. A friend did his a few days before a trip once. Not sure if time stamp is important for immigration purposes or only for actual protection.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:12 am

Programs: Priority Club, TAM Fidelidade, BAEC, Marriott Rewards
You don't need the vaccine to go to Iguazu.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by neuromancer
Correct, you don't have to have it.

Iguazu is amazing, don't miss your chance to see it.
Old Dec 9, 2013, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I did before I went because I'm just paranoid about such things. Plus, I'm apparently the tastiest thing a mosquito has ever bitten. Dengue Fever, for which there is no vaccine, still terrified me prior to my trip.

Just make sure you use plenty of mosquito repellent.

BTW - I may be incorrect, but I thought the yellow fever vaccination was more of an issue when returning to certain countries after having been in certain countries that are associated with the disease? Meaning that Brazil won't require you to have it to enter Brazil, but depending on where you're heading back to, if they see you've been to Brazil, they want to see that you've had a yellow fever vaccination. Of course, I could be completely off my rocker and recalling this incorrectly.

Nonetheless, don't skip Iguazu - it's amazing. Just take the necessary mosquito precautions (repellent, clothing, hat, time of day, etc.)
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Definitely no need for it when visiting Iguazu.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; AA ExPlat; Hilton Diamond
We got it but it is not required. Mosquitoes were not too bad. Definitely go even if it is raining, it can clear us quite quickly. The falls were amazing.
Old Dec 10, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by neuromancer
No, you don't need it.

Do bring some insect spray though.
Old Dec 12, 2013, 10:00 am

Programs: Status? What's status?
Originally Posted by OskiBear
BTW - I may be incorrect, but I thought the yellow fever vaccination was more of an issue when returning to certain countries after having been in certain countries that are associated with the disease? Meaning that Brazil won't require you to have it to enter Brazil, but depending on where you're heading back to, if they see you've been to Brazil, they want to see that you've had a yellow fever vaccination. Of course, I could be completely off my rocker and recalling this incorrectly.
This is probably the biggest thing. My parents and I have been to many place in Brazil where the vaccine is recommended. Not once have we been asked by anybody to see our yellow cards for proof of vaccination, but it has been asked for in other countries since we had traveled to Brazil and they wanted to make sure we weren't carrying the disease.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 2:43 pm

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by lmsalman
This is probably the biggest thing. My parents and I have been to many place in Brazil where the vaccine is recommended. Not once have we been asked by anybody to see our yellow cards for proof of vaccination, but it has been asked for in other countries since we had traveled to Brazil and they wanted to make sure we weren't carrying the disease.
i am wondering this also.

i am more worried about dengue and not being able to enter another country if they see a brazillian stamp in my passport and then ask for my vaccination cert...

i would be expensing out the cost so other than being a pin cushion...cost is not the issue...sure there are potential side effects also...
Old Jan 27, 2014, 11:22 pm

I've been around Argentina, Peru, Brazil and Chile - including the Amazon in Brazil, although not yet Iguazu (I really want to get there one of these days).

As far as immigration is concerned - in the US, France, UK, Canada and various other places in between, I've never even once been asked to show my Yellow Fever vaccination - even though I got one as a precaution before going to the Amazon a few years back. I still carry it just in case (and even had a new one issued from the original office that vaccinated me when I lost it) just to be sure, though. The last thing I actually want is for them to force me to get a vaccination that I already have had.

Finally, from a technical standpoint, what I was told from a WHO worker awhile back is that since there's no way of knowing where in the country you've been, any country that has some portion that requires a yellow fever vaccination actually is supposed to be applied to the entire country. So, technically speaking, if you go to BA without going to Iguazu, by some standards you're actually supposed to get one anyway. Same for a trip to Sao Paulo only, since they have no way of knowing whether you went up to the Jungle in the Amazon or not... I've never, ever in over ten years of shuttling between South America, North America and Europe seen this applied in practice in any country, but it's another reason why i carry around my yellow card, just to be sure. I've heard the South Africans can be strict about this - and as it's a place I've wanted to go for some while now, but not yet made it, I figured I'd be prepared!
Old Jan 30, 2014, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Schultzois
I've been around Argentina, Peru, Brazil and Chile - including the Amazon in Brazil, although not yet Iguazu (I really want to get there one of these days).

As far as immigration is concerned - in the US, France, UK, Canada and various other places in between, I've never even once been asked to show my Yellow Fever vaccination - even though I got one as a precaution before going to the Amazon a few years back. I still carry it just in case (and even had a new one issued from the original office that vaccinated me when I lost it) just to be sure, though. The last thing I actually want is for them to force me to get a vaccination that I already have had.

Finally, from a technical standpoint, what I was told from a WHO worker awhile back is that since there's no way of knowing where in the country you've been, any country that has some portion that requires a yellow fever vaccination actually is supposed to be applied to the entire country. So, technically speaking, if you go to BA without going to Iguazu, by some standards you're actually supposed to get one anyway. Same for a trip to Sao Paulo only, since they have no way of knowing whether you went up to the Jungle in the Amazon or not... I've never, ever in over ten years of shuttling between South America, North America and Europe seen this applied in practice in any country, but it's another reason why i carry around my yellow card, just to be sure. I've heard the South Africans can be strict about this - and as it's a place I've wanted to go for some while now, but not yet made it, I figured I'd be prepared!
In some cases, they may ask for it.
(I know on the Singaporean D/E card they have 'Have you been to South America or Africa in the last 6 days? and ask you for the card if you tick yes.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.