Reload this Page >

End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee! [Entry into US Visa Waiver Program Feb 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows nationals of designated member participants to travel to the United States for tourism or business (B visa category) purposes for up to 90 days without obtaining a visa.

On February 28, 2014, Chile was designated as a member of the Visa Waiver Program, bringing the total to 38 countries. Beginning May 1, 2014, Chilean nationals may travel to the United States under the VWP.

Chilean travellers to the US no longer need a visa but must pay the US $14 ESTA fee; passport holders from certain countries may travel without visas, so long as their passports meet certain requirements. Link to USCBP ESTA application web page.

Chilean passport holders should note: only an electronic passport or e-passport (one with a chip that holds biographical data) will be accepted for the VWP. These have been issued in Chile since Sept. 2, 2013. Link to US Embassy in Santiago web pages with further information

US Passport holders visiting Chile are exempt (as of 26 Feb 2014) from the visa reciprocity fee of US $160 paid previously (for a multiple entry visa valid for the life of the passport in which it is entered); Link to SCL Airport site stating reciprocity fee no longer collected from US passport holders (reciprocity still applies to Albanians, Australians, Canadians and Mexicans - link).

Canadian passport holders are now exempted from recipripocity fees 11 Jan 2015)

Link to TIMATIC Web offered by Star Alliance to check visa requirements.

Earlier, speculative posts (prior to announcement and implementation) may be found in End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee? [Archival].
Print Wikipost

End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee! [Entry into US Visa Waiver Program Feb 2014]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2015, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue
For those who are still tracking this issue, I flew in to SCL on an international flight on Monday, and the authorities are no longer charging the reciprocity fee to Canadians. This leaves only Australian and Mexican citizens who have to pay.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 5:11 am

Thanks for rubbing it in!

My wife and I arrived on January 2 and got stiffed for over Cdn$300 for both of us for nothing.

It's a testament to how useless the Foreign Affairs Dept in Ottawa truly is! They are so useless they couldn't negotiate with the Chileans to drop the reciprocity on Nov 22, the same day visas were dropped for Chileans entering Canada.

Of course the ultimate evidence of uselessness in Ottawa is the imposition of visas on Chileans in the first place. As a result of that Canadian taxpayers have been ripped off entering Chile for years because Ottawa is so useless/incompetent/lazy they couldn't find other ways to apprehend the odd illegal who might enter Canada from Chile.

Just this week Harper cancelled a NAFTA summit with Obama and Pena Nieto in part because he didn't want to face the latter and try to defend the indefensible, the continued requirement for Mexicans to obtain a visa to enter Canada.

Canadians are far too tolerant of idiocy, both political and bureaucratic, in Ottawa.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by jimmac
Thanks for rubbing it in!

My wife and I arrived on January 2 and got stiffed for over Cdn$300 for both of us for nothing.

It's a testament to how useless the Foreign Affairs Dept in Ottawa truly is! They are so useless they couldn't negotiate with the Chileans to drop the reciprocity on Nov 22, the same day visas were dropped for Chileans entering Canada.

Of course the ultimate evidence of uselessness in Ottawa is the imposition of visas on Chileans in the first place. As a result of that Canadian taxpayers have been ripped off entering Chile for years because Ottawa is so useless/incompetent/lazy they couldn't find other ways to apprehend the odd illegal who might enter Canada from Chile.

Just this week Harper cancelled a NAFTA summit with Obama and Pena Nieto in part because he didn't want to face the latter and try to defend the indefensible, the continued requirement for Mexicans to obtain a visa to enter Canada.

Canadians are far too tolerant of idiocy, both political and bureaucratic, in Ottawa.
Agreed. More evidence was introducing an epassport fee higher than almost every other nation that issues them, and charging an extra tax to make it valid for 10 years (like most other nations already do by default.)
I do not advocate violence, though the protesters who threw eggs at Baird IMO were justified in doing so.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by jimmac

I'm sure there are millions of Mexicans who would like to visit Canada without a visa.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
I'm sure there are millions of Mexicans who would like to visit Canada without a visa.
Canadians can go to Mexico without a visa, and more than 1 million Canadians did exactly that in the first 6 months of 2014.
(7.2*0.153=1.1 million)
Old Jan 18, 2015, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Canadians can go to Mexico without a visa, and more than 1 million Canadians did exactly that in the first 6 months of 2014.
(7.2*0.153=1.1 million)
Helllllllo, McFly!

I said Mexicans would love to go to Canada visa free, not Canadians go to Mexico.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:41 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Ah, but now Colombia has decided to come late to the party reciprocating against Canada.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 7:15 pm

There are indeed! And when the Ottawa idiots first imposed the visa requirements Mexican tourism to Canada, especially Toronto, dropped like a stone. It is still below pre-visa levels. All this courtesy of a government that claims jobs and the economy are its first priorities.
Old Jan 18, 2015, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Helllllllo, McFly!

I said Mexicans would love to go to Canada visa free, not Canadians go to Mexico.
Surely if we can go to their nation (and in much larger numbers than Mexicans ever came to Canada), then it is completely fair to let Mexicans also come into Canada without a visa.
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:05 am
Moderator: Avianca, Travel Photography, Travel Technology & USA

Programs: Emeritus VIP Fromins Deli Encino grandfathered successor program - UA MM & HH Diamond
Let's focus on Chile only. If you prefer to discuss visas for other destinations or NAFTA, new or legacy threads should be visited. This conversation might also end up leaning toward "Omni"esque territory.

Thanks
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The market dynamics are obviously a bit different, but Delta is reporting that the relaxation of visa requirements to China (visas now good for 10 years instead of 1) is leading to a surge in US-China flight demand -- and more flights!

http://www.thestreet.com/story/13018...-shanghai.html

Hopefully, it plays out this way in Chile, too.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:28 pm

For us lepers of the international community who still do have to pay the fee, does anyone know:

- how much
- can it be paid in AUD
- can it be paid by credit card

Surely these are easy questions, but there is nothing on the internet! Santiago Airport helpfully suggests I ring them - from Australia - to find out about the fee. Chilean Embassy says nada.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Originally Posted by secondsoprano
For us lepers of the international community who still do have to pay the fee, does anyone know:

- how much
- can it be paid in AUD
- can it be paid by credit card

Surely these are easy questions, but there is nothing on the internet! Santiago Airport helpfully suggests I ring them - from Australia - to find out about the fee. Chilean Embassy says nada.
US$117
USD cash
or
credit card
Old Oct 12, 2015, 9:36 pm

Muchas gracias

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.