Colombia - MDE and BOG What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2013, 3:37 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Colombia - MDE and BOG What to do?

I got on the UA P fares and have 3 days in MDE (Thurs AM to Sun AM) over a July weekend and about 27hrs in BOG during a weekday. I've been to Colombia (Cartagena) 10 years ago for a day trip on a cruise ship, but nowhere else.

So whats there to see/do/eat in these cities? I will be staying at the IC in MDE and unsure in BOG if in the city somewhere or just a airport hotel and commute.

How safe are these cities? I assume quite safe (just don't act too touristy)
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:29 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I don't know if I would go so far as to say "quite safe." FWIW - I wouldn't say that about New York or Washington DC either.

A great site for finding things to do in Medellin is:

http://www.medellinliving.com

It's a site with lots of articles with interesting things to do and see in MDE and lots of great restaurant recommendations.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:23 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Bogotá, big enough and busy enough to not have to worry aside from normal street smarts. Medellín I am going to next week, the city is really growing on me, more orderly as a city than Bogotá but don't make like an East Coast wannabe hard man because I think it has an underlying edge to it. Actually I have a theory that its history of violence makes it more civil a city. But that's just my opinion.

Plenty to do in a day in Bogotá. What do you like doing and what days are you visiting?

Medellín is a cool city for beers and watching life pass by, also cool and safe to go on the Metro to the centre, have a nose around, go up to the top of Palacio de la Cultura, then carry on up on the Metrocable to Estación Domingo, visit Biblioteca Espańa, then if you fancy carry to to Parque Arví, have juice and then either come back on the cable or continue to Santa Elena for lunch, get the bus back to Medellin centro. Cool day out by anyone's measure.

Medellín also has some cool out-of-town trips, Santa Fe de Antioquia is a proper Antioqueńo pueblo and you can get a mototaxi down to Puente de Occidente. Guatapé and El Peńón is brilliant, going again myself next week.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 2:27 pm

Just checked, IC Medellín isn't in a very cool location, it is half in the hills. If you like going out for some beers then you have a longer walk home if you stay there.

Handier hotels are the Charlee, the Diez Categoría Colombia and the pimp-like Art Hotel
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:54 pm

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Johnny...I am going in August.

Do you think doing a city tour in each city, Bogota and Medellin is worthwhile as opposed to exploring yourself?
Old Jun 21, 2013, 11:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Vidic15

Do you think doing a city tour in each city, Bogota and Medellin is worthwhile as opposed to exploring yourself?
I'm also interested including the short time in BOG that I have. I would like a day tour.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 6:53 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by jason8612
I'm also interested including the short time in BOG that I have. I would like a day tour.
I can attest that this a good tour and a solid company... and wonderful photos on their website! I know the owner / photographer personally. ;-)

http://thecolombianway.com/en/our-tr...ge/bogota.html
Old Jun 24, 2013, 8:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
No-one ever says that the region MDE is is beautiful. While I stayed at Rio Negro airport (which had a stunning backdrop) I really liked what I saw.

Don't stay at an airport hotel. I stayed out there for a conference and it's dead... For such a short time, Gold Museum, the central tourist area and the cathedral up the hill by cable car. Yes, they are all touristy, but it's still pretty quiet and I really liked them.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 9:14 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
How active are you? I rode a mountain bike through Bogota with an ex-pat who worked for AP there. That was by far the best thing I did there. He had great stories from his reporter days and took the small group to places we would not have seen other wise. The bikes weren't the greatest (far from it) and the riding was fun, but you need to be prepared to ride down steps and through some unusual urban terrain. Here are the reviews on TripAdvisor and his website is there too. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...rs-Bogota.html

In Medellin, I got a driver and went out to Escobar's former ranch. Sort of interesting and you could easily see how he got away with all that he did for so long given how isolated it was.

Skip the Salt Cathedral, btw.

Here's trip report from '09 that may help with ideas:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...-colombia.html

Some good books recommended by others in that trip report, and also, if you haven't read some of Gabriel Garcia Marquez, you might want to and also visit the museum.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by Vidic15

It can be, depends on how you like to manage your own time and what you have on your "to see" list.

I have done city tours in both cities, although neither place has the tourism infrastructure of say London or Paris, both cities lend themselves well to a one day structured tour.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Jenbel
No-one ever says that the region MDE is is beautiful. While I stayed at Rio Negro airport (which had a stunning backdrop) I really liked what I saw.
I think there is a typo there Jenbel but are you saying that nobody says that MDE/Medellín is in a beautiful region?

I'd say it is. The ride from MDE to Medellín is through lovely Antioquia landscapes, and if you time it right, you get the great view over the city as you descend into the valley.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by l'etoile
How active are you? I rode a mountain bike through Bogota with an ex-pat who worked for AP there. That was by far the best thing I did there. He had great stories from his reporter days and took the small group to places we would not have seen other wise. The bikes weren't the greatest (far from it) and the riding was fun, but you need to be prepared to ride down steps and through some unusual urban terrain. Here are the reviews on TripAdvisor and his website is there too. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...rs-Bogota.html
There is a new bike rental company based in Rosales with a fleet of brand new city bikes. This is just around the corner from the Hilton, JW Marriott, Rosales Plaza etc.

https://www.facebook.com/laikabikes

Originally Posted by l'etoile
In Medellin, I got a driver and went out to Escobar's former ranch. Sort of interesting and you could easily see how he got away with all that he did for so long given how isolated it was.

Skip the Salt Cathedral, btw.
I'd also skip the Salt Cathedral unless you are really pushed for imaginative ideas. Nor do I think Escobar's Hacienda Napoles at Puerto Triunfo is worth visiting. Medellín has way better days out that are closer.
Old Jul 2, 2013, 7:08 am
Original Poster

I emailed the Colombian way tour company that was recommended to see what they can offer me.

My final plans are:

Arrive into MDE at 8AM July 11 and stay till 545AM July 14 giving me all day July 11,12,and 13th to site-see. I'm staying at the IC MDE as its on the point breaks list so basically free.

Arrive into BOG at 930PM July 15th and stay till 12:15AM July 17th giving me July 16th to site-see. Staying at the HIX Bogota.
Old Jul 3, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: Skypass, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Asiana, Krisflyer, Etihad Guest, Velocity Rewards
Originally Posted by jason8612
I emailed the Colombian way tour company that was recommended to see what they can offer me.

My final plans are:

Arrive into MDE at 8AM July 11 and stay till 545AM July 14 giving me all day July 11,12,and 13th to site-see. I'm staying at the IC MDE as its on the point breaks list so basically free.

Arrive into BOG at 930PM July 15th and stay till 12:15AM July 17th giving me July 16th to site-see. Staying at the HIX Bogota.
Will be keen to hear about your stay at the IC Jason...am booked in for two nights next month.
Old Jul 4, 2013, 8:51 am

Location: EWR Ionosphere Club, LAX Clipper Club, Still Traveling Global, yearly BIS miles
Programs: EAL Silver Wings, I-Club, Flying Colonels DL, WorldPass PLat from the olde Meatball and PE SMARTbank
IC is fine, actually nice compared to many rundown spg european esp italian properties.

renting a car, seems OK so far in terms of safety,
Hotel is very hard to find if you do rent a car, and not a lot around the neighborhood but its a rich neighborhood kinda colorless.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.