Wiki Posts
Search

Colombia - MDE and BOG What to do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Colombia - MDE and BOG What to do?

Any tips on how to spend a Friday in Bogota? Any "must see" sights? I am not a "tour" guy though the bike thing has some appeal.

Also is it safe to hail a taxi off the street at night? If not how do you get around? Not concerned about fare but not too keen on armed robbery.

Sounds like $100 may be sufficient for a couple of days and nights (hotel will be charged to CC)
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:35 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Any tips on how to spend a Friday in Bogota? Any "must see" sights? I am not a "tour" guy though the bike thing has some appeal.

Also is it safe to hail a taxi off the street at night? If not how do you get around? Not concerned about fare but not too keen on armed robbery.

Sounds like $100 may be sufficient for a couple of days and nights (hotel will be charged to CC)
What are you doing already? Let us know and I will think if you have missed anything

I take taxis off the street all the time but I know where I am going and speak Spanish. Using an app like Tappsi will give you a paper trail if you want one. You are unlikely to find the taxi driver himself is armed, but there are no options that guarantees that the driver is not giving you a paseo millonario I'd say that Parque 93 is the most dangerous place to hail a taxi, they seem to be looking for foreigners to kidnap up there. Twice I have realised it was not a regular taxi ride and jumped out.

If you are in a bar then get the bar to call a taxi for you (if you do not have the app) Failing that, if cost really doesn't matter to you, then use your hotel's car service. Get him to drop you somewhere, get his mobile number and get the bar to call him back in.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:12 am

Programs: LH, BA, TK
I've found taxi apps in Colombia the way to go: Tappsi, Easy taxi or Uber always have worked fine in my limited experience.
Will find out more next month.
Old Sep 5, 2015, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by Boraxo
I'm the same. Anyone actually have an answer to his question?
Old Sep 6, 2015, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by fly7b2
In the evening you want to be careful where yu go. Parque 93 has quite a bit of activity and clubs and such. It's fine to walk around there as there are security guards everywhere. Even though I'm not a club-goer I had a good time there. Zona T has quite a few good restaurants and bars. If you're looking for a whole evening of entertainment/people watching you can taxi out to Chia for Andres Carnes de Res. Make a reservation first if you decide to go
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
Originally Posted by Forrest Bump
I've found taxi apps in Colombia the way to go: Tappsi, Easy taxi or Uber always have worked fine in my limited experience.
Will find out more next month.
FWIW, I just attended a round-table meeting that included the senior people in Colombia from my company and several clients. Most are based in Bogota. Somehow the conversation turned to taxis and Uber. There was unanimous agreement that Uber is great. Many of them said that they no longer use taxis and now exclusively use Uber. I haven't tried it myself, but I think I will download the app for my next trip to BOG.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
FWIW, I just attended a round-table meeting that included the senior people in Colombia from my company and several clients. Most are based in Bogota. Somehow the conversation turned to taxis and Uber. There was unanimous agreement that Uber is great. Many of them said that they no longer use taxis and now exclusively use Uber. I haven't tried it myself, but I think I will download the app for my next trip to BOG.
I have never tried Uber but it is of course illegal in Bogotá so nobody knows how long it is going to stick around for. I don't know how anyone knows you are using Uber because they are the same "white plates" vans that hotels have.

Our company has its own contracts with vans in Bogotá and I just use those, it costs more than a taxi but less than Uber, but at the end of the day it costs the same as a taxi because I get an invoice so it is tax deductible.

At a push I will use the taxis upstairs at T1 as I have said before in this thread or elsewhere, but I speak Spanish, know my way around and am prepared for an argument if need be.

I have organised a van pick up for an FTer this week, also organised one for a friend that is coming up from Lima. It's 50,000COP each way to have a good driver in a modern van waiting for you at international arrivals. I don't think I am contravening FT Ts & Cs. It's not my van company, I am just sending emails to a driver to do a private deal with pax. If anyone wants one then drop me a PM

Edit: By the way, for anyone that does want to use Uber, I noticed coming through BOG this week that there is very good free wifi in the immigration hall and at baggage claim. My phone connected to it automatically so I must have used it before.
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:03 pm

Admittedly this thread went off topic and turned largely into a taxi thread. It is a bit helpless to say that you are in BOG and you want something to do without saying what sort of things you like to do, as did the person that you responded to, but there is plenty of info in other threads

Like this one

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...hours-bog.html

Once again, if you don't like the suggestions or want something specific then make a more specific post and I am sure someone (probably me) will be glad to give some advice
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by coolcoil
Really awesome tip! We will definitely give Uber a shot! Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 2015, 2:19 pm

Really awesome tip! We will definitely give Uber a shot! Thanks!
A quick contradictory data point. I just checked and Uber from my place to the airport is 40,000 pesos which is less than the guy I use. I live in the area that I just recommended for your hotels in your other thread.

Uber has plenty of drivers out at the moment, obviously the price goes up if it is busy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.